DIY enclosures.?

Lathis

Chameleon Enthusiast
Here is what I made for my Jackson's chameleon:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thank-goodness-9-ft-ceilings-111618/index2.html

Lots of work but lots of fun, too. It took about 4 weekends total.

Cost? About $400 in supplies I think, including cabinet, plants, wood, hardware, screen, etc, maybe a little more. I already had some plants, the mistking, lots of vines, and other cage accessories. I stole the sticks from some random yard on the side of the street :)

Lathis

Chameleon Enthusiast
It should take you to the original post. Works for me, so my apologies if the link is not working.

:confused:

jackschamnewbie

about $250

I am about to make a detailed walk through of the materials used, where to get them and how I assembled them. I had a few ideas that I have not seen much discussion about that saved me quite a lot time and money. I still have some rough edges and loose ends that need finishing touches but all in all it is reliably functional.
Any way, I've attached a handful of pictures that give a rough idea of how it will look when finished.

Oh, btw you should be aware that this set up is only capable of 30"width MAX and 30"+ with additional parts that do not come with the stand. The stand I used is a 30$ pvc patio rack available at home depot and lowes and assumably most hardware stores. Which I am currently developing a method to screen the rack itself while keeping electrical components safe and away from the water. The enclosure and light sockets came in a kit together on amazon for 85$. These two items saved the bulk of the final costs as I have wasted a few hundred building wood or aluminum cages. Aluminum window frames and pvc coated screen are preferred by a lot of this sites members but extremely difficult to build...I enjoy the convenience of the the lower flap for easy substrate removal/sanitizing plastic. However the more experienced chams owners like to build out of 1x1 or 1x2 siding material and clamp it between a piece of flat trim with staples or screws. I assume an extra set of hands and wood working tools are a part of most diy cages. I do not have those luxuries.

This is far from perfect as I will probably have to spend another 100 on an additional enclosure whenever my babies quit getting along, however this would be excellent for housing a single cham in 30x30, which is arguably NOT an ideal size for an adult. or ideally 30x"48" if you can afford the extra legs to increase the height.

Attachments

Top Bottom