DIY cages- Does anyone else stock them?

coldbloodedAL

Avid Member
Does anyone know if DIY cages are sold anywhere else? Theyre out of stock in the size i need til the END OF JULY(whaaaat!?!?) , and I really prefer no other screen cages...

Does anyone have an extra 24x24x48 they'd be willing to let go maybe?

Is a "DIY cage" a brand name? I ordered my Repti-breeze (kind of DIY) from Amazon.com for really cheap, and I have also built a true DIY cage from parts from home depot, also for relatively cheap.

EDIT: Never Mind, I found diycages.com. How are these cages superior to the repti-breeze?

I know man I need to put in a order for 10 XL cages and they haven't had them sence December:( I don't like the other cages but if they don't get them soon I am going to have to get another brand :( and I don't think anyone else has them .

I had seen them on e-bay last week there were about a dozen 2x2x4 listed on there, but now just eh xl and smaller like the site.

I may be selling some here soon at an even cheaper price than them. My next door neighbor is a window sales man, and said he could get me materials at cost. :cool:

I have the space/equipment to pump out a bunch of these... just not sure I want to get into the hassle of shipping out. lol isn't that horrible?

nope, im waiting on the smalls. eta is end of july. i have all LLL cages right now and love them but their small cage is an inch smaller.

Ahh darn! Looks like ill be making yet another cage, which i didnt want to do either but I already have the materials so at least it'll be cheap

Has anyone else noticed that the screen rips really easy on the DIY or is it just me? I have had all three of the major brands of screen cages and while putting the vines and branches in my DIY's I put HUGE holes in the screen...maybe it's just me :eek:

Has anyone else noticed that the screen rips really easy on the DIY or is it just me? I have had all three of the major brands of screen cages and while putting the vines and branches in my DIY's I put HUGE holes in the screen...maybe it's just me :eek:

Kinda making me twice about buying their cages. More info please!!!

Yea, actually, now that you mention it I agree. I was screwing in the screws and my hand just barely slipped from the screw and I put a huge hole in the screen. I wasn't even pushing, I was just lining up the screw driver with the screw head. I've done the same thing with others and I just make a little dent, but this one ripped.

And I just got one from them that came with a rip in the screen already. Unfortunately I really needed the cage, so I didn't bother to say anything. But I wasn't happy at all - the front panel has screen that you can tell was rolled up and then squashed because you can see the creases in it quite obviously. NOT what I would pay $70 for at ALL, but again, I really needed the extra cage.

I'm going to stick to buying the LLL cages from now on, I think.

Yea, actually, now that you mention it I agree. I was screwing in the screws and my hand just barely slipped from the screw and I put a huge hole in the screen. I wasn't even pushing, I was just lining up the screw driver with the screw head. I've done the same thing with others and I just make a little dent, but this one ripped.

And I just got one from them that came with a rip in the screen already. Unfortunately I really needed the cage, so I didn't bother to say anything. But I wasn't happy at all - the front panel has screen that you can tell was rolled up and then squashed because you can see the creases in it quite obviously. NOT what I would pay $70 for at ALL, but again, I really needed the extra cage.

I'm going to stick to buying the LLL cages from now on, I think.

Very interesting.... The ones I already have, ive never had an issue like that.. gentle hands maybe?:p
but honestly, if its becoming an issue with them im not going to buy them...

Anyone had any issues with the LLL ones? I only have one of them and its done okay, but one is not enough to make a judgement on them.

I understand screened cages are not exactly "durable" as far as caging goes, but there should be some kind of "standard" eh'?

I have 20 ++++++ DIY cages and non have torn easy at all on me. I don't like lll cages because they are built mis shapedand odd and the extra bar across the top drives me crazy on the adult cages.

I have 20 ++++++ DIY cages and non have torn easy at all on me. I don't like lll cages because they are built mis shapedand odd and the extra bar across the top drives me crazy on the adult cages.
Didnt know that, i can see how that may get in the way.. probably would drive me crazy as well

Amazon has the Reptribreeze XL on sale for $79.88 + free shipping right now.

The screen on the reptibreeze cages tends to rust, and I hate re-screening anything...

Yes, only older Reptibreeze cages have the rust issues. In some sizes I would not buy anything but an LLL. I love having the trap door at the bottom to clean the cages and in the 18x18x36 size I can't think of any reason I would go with anything other than the LLL. Now on the 24x24x48 I have a problem. I don't like the top panel on the LLL and I don't like the screen, fixed bottom panel, or the latches on the DIY. I think the poorest built cages are the Reptibreeze but they do have the rotating bottom panel and no brace at the top. Honestly if the LLL didn't have the top panel it would be a no brainer at least for me. Also only the LLL in the XL size fits in the LLL water tray the other two are too large to fit correctly. I don't know if you have looked lately but LLL has launched a few more sizes that might be interesting to some. They now have a 19x19.75x40 and a 12x17x36, so for those that try to fit the maximum amount of cages in a space and have the MOST space possible for each cham this might help with some cage tetras :D:D

I know that at least the DIY cages I got at the Pomona show this year have REALLY rip prone screen :mad:

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my input to it instead of starting a new thread. I just purchased a cage from diycages.com, and I too have found the screen ridiculously easy to rip. I was attaching branches with bonzai tree wire, and just the weight of attaching one end of the branch ripped the screen where I had attached the other end! I was shocked, I thought this was supposed to be aluminum screen? I read such good reviews I was surprised by what I got. Bowed frames, kinked and warped screen, several screws that were completely useless, one had zero thread on it! What kind of quality control is that? I had to go find my own screws. There was no pre screwing the holes in the frames, only plain holes, so putting it together by hand gave me a bruised hand and a sore arm. They wouldn't even email me a receipt, which I needed as I was picking it up and bringing it to Canada. And the door doesn't open and close without sticking and shaking the whole cage! The one good thing was that shipping was VERY fast.

I would not order from them again. I would try LLL Reptiles instead.

I'm still happy with my 4 diycages. Only the oldest one has a little rust, and after that they were improved so no others have done that. I don't have problems with the screen ripping, but in the last batch the holes were drilled in the wrong place on a few panels. It was an easy fix, just a little annoying.

I just got 3 LLL cages and so far I really like them. They do seem just a tad more narrow even though though the dimensions should be the same, and right now they don't sit perfectly rectangular, but they look nice and the door latches are better. I think I like the darker frames better too.

Yea, I'm even less happy with the DIY cages I have now that I've had them a few months. The hardware is completely rusted, so I'll have to replace those at some point, and the warped screen makes closing one of the cages tight. Plus, when I contacted them with photos of the poor screening jobs on the last 2-3 cages I ordered I received no reply, but as soon as I ask them how to buy a cage I get a reply within minutes.

The top section across the 4' LLLReptile cages is a little annoying, but I still much prefer these cages to anything I've gotten from anyone else. Just a much better cage, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom