DIY Cage

From personal experience in using wood to build an enclosure make sure whatever you use to seal will stand up to the test of time and extended exposure to water. Of course it depends on the climate you live in as well. If humidity is able to be maintained easily it's less of an issue. I live in a more arid climate so I have to mist more and the wooden cages I had built did stand up well, but had minor issues. In particular, polyurethane doesn't do well with standing water, mind you I think I used a water based version. Basically if you use wood, make sure you avoid water standing anywhere.

From personal experience in using wood to build an enclosure make sure whatever you use to seal will stand up to the test of time and extended exposure to water. Of course it depends on the climate you live in as well. If humidity is able to be maintained easily it's less of an issue. I live in a more arid climate so I have to mist more and the wooden cages I had built did stand up well, but had minor issues. In particular, polyurethane doesn't do well with standing water, mind you I think I used a water based version. Basically if you use wood, make sure you avoid water standing anywhere.
Sweet, thanks for the advice. I’m in a pretty humid place except for winters. And I’ll be using black flex spray inside the enclosure where water will be :D

FCA992C5-B337-4E5E-8008-997B2998AD2E.jpeg
4773D52A-D101-4FCA-97E0-FC0382C77F67.jpeg
AFD952E1-32E7-408E-B50A-40DA5A872389.jpeg

It’ll look better and less black when I get the plants in it lololol. I’m going the off gas method while… it might take a while but oh well.

Yes I know it’s a lot of black but I’m a little gothic so it’s okay XD it’ll also make the plants really pop!!! It’ll be less overwhelming once the plants are in and I have lighting going and he’s chilling out in there.

Make sure you give it a few coats to make sure it's fully sealed. Water has a knack for finding the smallest of crevice and working it's way into it.

Make sure you give it a few coats to make sure it's fully sealed. Water has a knack for finding the smallest of crevice and working it's way into it.
Will do, thank you!!! I’m so excited to get this finished. Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll get him moved in

I think the spray will be OK where it catches mist, but if this is going to be bioactive, I think I would spring for some Flex Liquid like I used on the tort. table below.

All seams were siliconed, allowed to cure, then 2 coats of liquid poured on and spread out with a brush. I really hated the fact that the stuff isn't water-soluble (and it was cheaper to buy 3 throwaway brushes than one and a can of thinner). 😠

The gray is the Flex seal (had to order online to get anything but black, white, & clear).
The blue is sky-blue latex covered w/ 2 coats of triple-thick polyurethane to seal it.

1634867112539.png

Last edited:
I think the spray will be OK where it catches mist, but if this is going to be bioactive, I think I would spring for some Flex Liquid like I used on the tort. table below.

All seams were siliconed, allowed to cure, then 2 coats of liquid poured on and spread out with a brush. I really hated the fact that the stuff isn't water-soluble (and it was cheaper to buy 3 throwaway brushes than one and a can of thinner).

The gray is the Flex seal (had to order online to get anything but black, white, & clear).
The blue is sky-blue latex covered w/ 2 coats of triple-thick polyurethane.

View attachment 313034
It will be bioactive but there’ll be a large planter pot inside of the enclosure, the only reason I’m spraying it down with flex seal is to basically make it a sink so it’ll drain easy :)
And do you have a thread for your tortoise enclosure?

It will be bioactive but there’ll be a large planter pot inside of the enclosure, the only reason I’m spraying it down with flex seal is to basically make it a sink so it’ll drain easy :)
And do you have a thread for your tortoise enclosure?
Not here; this is a chameleon forum. What would you like to know?

This stuff looks navy. It’s a beautiful shade of navy it’s my favorite color but I wanted black maybe it’s a drying thing? Idk we’ll see. I’m full sending it
image.jpg

Aight just screwed the bottom on and I’ll flex seal it tonight. Can I go ahead and screw in the branches right now? Or will they like absorb fumes or some crap

Anybody have an idea as to how I can make the bottom of this thing waterproof without having to flex seal and wait weeks for that to cure? Looking for an easy way out 😌🙄

So I went to get pond liner because they’re out of flex spray but then I didn’t find pond liner but I found flex seal which is the paint on so I bought that and then I PAINTED it on!!! Like I live in a third world country or something! Yes, painted and didn’t use aerosol. But here we are now:
92FFCEC9-3DBB-436E-AD15-48F21B0D98F7.jpeg

Now the whole thing is 🤠THICCLY😎 painted in flex seal so much it’s running so if I have to do a double coat it’ll only be in the sides.

So I went to get pond liner because they’re out of flex spray but then I didn’t find pond liner but I found flex seal which is the paint on so I bought that and then I PAINTED it on!!! Like I live in a third world country or something! Yes, painted and didn’t use aerosol. But here we are now:
View attachment 313410
Now the whole thing is 🤠THICCLY😎 painted in flex seal so much it’s running so if I have to do a double coat it’ll only be in the sides.
Do you want it that black?

Back
Top Bottom