DIY cage

ariez189

Established Member
Hello!

I am new to chameleons and have decided to make my own cage till I can afford a dragon strand. It will measure 2ft x 2ft x 4ft. What kind of screen do you recommend. I have leftover pool screen that does not have fiberglass or anything in it. Any tips or ideas you guys have would be awesome!

My idea was to have something like what is pictured. The legs would be lower, but allow space for a drainage bin.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 922
At the top of this forum are several threads with ideas & pictures of enclosures.
There are more threads than I can recall about screening, available via the search tool (upper righthand corner of your screen), discussing the pros & cons of screen materials & meshes.

I think the short legs are a good idea for installing a drain pan underneath. It could be raised another 1.5-2" (to keep the bottoms of the legs out of water) by attaching plastic cube feet or just raising them up on bolts.

Up to you, but I'd still want the whole affair up higher on a table. That should allow the chameleon to be at eye level with you (give or take). ;)

So I did 3 coats of polyurethane on Monday and added the bottom board and door today (hubby has been too tired). Screen will be added tomorrow. Bottom board was screwed underneath frame so total screen height is now 4 feet 7 inches. I have bed risers that I will be putting the cage on to allow for taller drain pan (and better access) and better eye level view of the Cham. Everything has now come in for Cham except for lights and HO bulb, which will be here tomorrow, mister, and timer for fogger machine. Getting closer everyday! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 158
So I did 3 coats of polyurethane on Monday and added the bottom board and door today (hubby has been too tired). Screen will be added tomorrow. Bottom board was screwed underneath frame so total screen height is now 4 feet 7 inches. I have bed risers that I will be putting the cage on to allow for taller drain pan (and better access) and better eye level view of the Cham. Everything has now come in for Cham except for lights and HO bulb, which will be here tomorrow, mister, and timer for fogger machine. Getting closer everyday! :)
Looks great! I love a good DIY? Just curious, how will you attach the screen? I'm converting a big old hutch and I put the screen on one of the doors today with greenhouse batten tape and staples, but I dont love how it looks?

Looks great! I love a good DIY? Just curious, how will you attach the screen? I'm converting a big old hutch and I put the screen on one of the doors today with greenhouse batten tape and staples, but I dont love how it looks?

I have not yet, but I am going to use just basic 1/4 inch staples to the outside so it is away from the Cham. At Home Depot I purchased the little $10 stapler and the recommended size. It went right through the wood for the bottom cover with no issues at all :)

I have not yet, but I am going to use just basic 1/4 inch staples to the outside so it is away from the Cham. At Home Depot I purchased the little $10 stapler and the recommended size. It went right through the wood for the bottom cover with no issues at all :)
Ok, yea I think staples is the way to go, I just need to not be so anal about how it looks on the inside. I'm using flex seal liquid to waterproof the whole inside, so I'll probably put a coat over the staples and edge of the screen since it's all inside. Don't want to damage his little murder mittens, he needs them to intimidate me! ?

Ok, yea I think staples is the way to go, I just need to not be so anal about how it looks on the inside. I'm using flex seal liquid to waterproof the whole inside, so I'll probably put a coat over the staples and edge of the screen since it's all inside. Don't want to damage his little murder mittens, he needs them to intimidate me! ?

Haha! Murder mittens...that's awesome! Yeah, that was my concern which is why it will be stapled to the outside. They are tiny staples and I had to use them to attach the cover over my bottom board, but they are slightly bigger than regular staples, so I think it will be fine.

Ok, so I was bored tonight and decided to go ahead and put the screen on. I have to get more cause I am one side short. I have the basking light to make sure the screen will do ok with the heat of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 170
Lights came in today! Is that arrangement ok? The fixtures are got from Pangea do not span all the way across.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 151
Lights came in today! Is that arrangement ok? The fixtures are got from Pangea do not span all the way across.
I put it in your other thread... But I would order a 36inch fixture and a 34 inch 6% UVB bulb. Use it either diagonally with overhang or side to side with overhang. Then replace the uvb in the shorter one with the daylight bulb you got. Your plants will love the extra light and it will really light up your cage. I run three total on mine as well.
Make sure you have a 9 inch drop to the closest basking branch to get the right UVI level for the UVB the cham is exposed to. This will give you approximately a 3ish UVI level at basking.

I see one issue... You need bracing horizontal pieces in the cage frame design to attach branches to the sides at different levels.
See this image of my outdoor cage I built... The side panels have additional pieces horizontally to attach the branches higher. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/outdoor-enclosure.51912/

I put it in your other thread... But I would order a 36inch fixture and a 34 inch 6% UVB bulb. Use it either diagonally with overhang or side to side with overhang. Then replace the uvb in the shorter one with the daylight bulb you got. Your plants will love the extra light and it will really light up your cage. I run three total on mine as well.
Make sure you have a 9 inch drop to the closest basking branch to get the right UVI level for the UVB the cham is exposed to. This will give you approximately a 3ish UVI level at basking.

I see one issue... You need bracing horizontal pieces in the cage frame design to attach branches to the sides at different levels.
See this image of my outdoor cage I built... The side panels have additional pieces horizontally to attach the branches higher. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/outdoor-enclosure.51912/

Ok, I will add that and order the fixture and bulb ASAP. Urethane and sealing was done on Monday. I will add the screen and braces tonight. I also will add the last side of the screen today. Other than that, it's just adding the plants and what not.

Ok, so plants are in. The braces will be added to the left at right side even with the top of the hibiscus (about 8 inches away from bottom of basking light) and the other set be on either side of the top of the corn plant. I have 2 fake vines that I will be adding to both braces.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 159
Ok, so plants are in. The braces will be added to the left at right side even with the top of the hibiscus (about 8 inches away from bottom of basking light) and the other set be on either side of the top of the corn plant. I have 2 fake vines that I will be adding to both braces.
Great... And whom is living in the tank next to the cage? The cham may be bothered by another animal there.

Back
Top Bottom