DIY Cage build..

vgaines

So, I am building Rebel his big boy home this summer. I am trying to decide between converting( if I can find at a good price) a used armoire or building a frame to place on top of an old wooden desk. I'm also trying to decide between all screen or screen/plexi. (I have AC running 24 hours a day so relative humidity is always LOW) If I do the plexi (3 sides) I will put vents in the bottom of each side.

I am also trying to decide if I need a misting system and which one to get. Mistking or Aquazamp. The cage build will have a drain so I am not worried about water issues.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance..:D

Are you using wood? If so what kind? I'm trying to find out if any hardwood is safe or if I should stay way from any?

Are you using wood? If so what kind? I'm trying to find out if any hardwood is safe or if I should stay way from any?

I will be using wood. I do know that both pine and cedar are big no no's. I am not sure about any others. I sure would like to know which types of wood would be best and what would be the best way to treat it. :cool:

I think that a converted armoire would look awesome. You can try hitting a Goodwill (or other thrift store) or checking out local garage sales on the weekend to find one. Chances are you might be able to find one for cheap if it's a little scratched up or faded since you're just going to cut out the sections for the screen (or plexiglass) then sand, stain, and seal it. It'd definitely be easier trying to modify an existing piece of furniture than trying to build something from scratch.

As far as which misting system to get, you really can't go wrong with either the Mistking or the Aquazamp. I bought a Mistking because they had a booth at the last reptile show and I have been very happy with it (plus the no tax or shipping didn't hurt lol). Tons of people swear by Aquazamp and I like the fact that they're made in the USA. I'd keep an eye on the sponsor news section since they'll occasionally advertise sales on their products or check out a reptile show in your area.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures once you get going:)

I will be using wood. I do know that both pine and cedar are big no no's. I am not sure about any others. I sure would like to know which types of wood would be best and what would be the best way to treat it. :cool:

Out of curiosity why are pine and cedar no-no's? Is it because pine will seep sap over time or because of some other reason?

I used red oak on my first two cages because it was very strong and had a beautiful grain to it. I used Rust-Oleum stain and polyurethane sealant from Lowes to finish it and it turned out great. The only downside to oak is the cost...

For my new project cage I'm trying out whitewood from Home Deopt. It's kiln dried so you don't have to worry about any sap or preservatives seeping out over time and it's about 1/4-1/2 the cost of oak... I'll do another build thread once I get going on it and let everyone know how well it works.

Finished and dried pine is not going to be an issue. Especially considering that you will need to seal it to protect it from water and humidity.

The concerns you see surrounding cedar and pine are in relation to raw wood that you may want to use for branches. That would seep sap and be an issue.

Carry on with the less expensive pine for your enclosure....;)

Back
Top Bottom