Disinfection and parasites

Anastasia_k

Hi everyone, I just got my first chameleon few weeks ago and she already had to have her first vet visit :( I noticed couple of days ago that her poop looked more slimy and she seemed unhappy and restless, and had crazy appetite, was always hungry. I got a fecal test and turned out she had some small parasite, like a bacteria, I forgot the name though. The vet gave her medication and told me to clean and disinfect everything in her cage that had contact with the feces. I boiled everything I could fit in a cooking pot and then cleaned all the surfaces, branches, fake plants etc with zoo med's Wipe Out 1 ( vet said its ok). I threw away the umbrella plant she always sat and pooped on but kept the Ficus ginseng (like a bonsai) because she never went on it and it definitely didn't touch her poop (I clean it out every day so know exactly where she left it), and because this tree is very pretty and expensive. I later decided to check and research just in case and read that wipe out 1 is not good for branches and other stuff chameleon could sit on because they absorb the toxins. Should I throw them all away then and just get her new stuff? Do you think it's safe to say she's all parasite-proof now? We will go to the vet in 2 weeks for another course of medication. I am leaving on vacation in 2 days and my neighbor will take care of Lana while I'm away, and I am very nervous hoping she will be ok :(

Well a parasite and a bacteria are two different things. What you should probably do though is get some hydrogen peroxide 12% dilute some and spray down the cage. You can do a search for the best way to go about doing this. It will fizz as it kills organic matter. I'm pretty sure you can use this on plants without any harm(i'd look into it though).

Hi everyone, I just got my first chameleon few weeks ago and she already had to have her first vet visit :( I noticed couple of days ago that her poop looked more slimy and she seemed unhappy and restless, and had crazy appetite, was always hungry. I got a fecal test and turned out she had some small parasite, like a bacteria, I forgot the name though. The vet gave her medication and told me to clean and disinfect everything in her cage that had contact with the feces. I boiled everything I could fit in a cooking pot and then cleaned all the surfaces, branches, fake plants etc with zoo med's Wipe Out 1 ( vet said its ok). I threw away the umbrella plant she always sat and pooped on but kept the Ficus ginseng (like a bonsai) because she never went on it and it definitely didn't touch her poop (I clean it out every day so know exactly where she left it), and because this tree is very pretty and expensive. I later decided to check and research just in case and read that wipe out 1 is not good for branches and other stuff chameleon could sit on because they absorb the toxins. Should I throw them all away then and just get her new stuff? Do you think it's safe to say she's all parasite-proof now? We will go to the vet in 2 weeks for another course of medication. I am leaving on vacation in 2 days and my neighbor will take care of Lana while I'm away, and I am very nervous hoping she will be ok :(

Welcome to the forums! It's very important to find out which parasite your chameleon has and the meds used to treat your chameleons. If it's cociddia only one cleaner will kill it and if you chameleon vet does not have good chameleon knowledge they might have gave you Albion which makes many chameleons sick and they stop eating. I recommend you call the vet back and find out which parasite it had and the name of then meds.

It is very difficult to disinfect porous surfaces like branches and other wooden items. I would replace them. As Jannb mentioned we would need to know what parasite to best advise you on what to disinfectant to use. Was it coccidia or giardia?

Giardia is a single celled organism and could be described in layman's terms as being "like a bacteria". Coccidia also fit that description.

@kinyonga i've read from multiple sources that 12% hydrogen peroxide was the only thing to kill coccidia cysts and pretty much everything else, but i don't personally have experience with it. Have i been mislead?

Thanks for all the replies! I'll call the vet back and ask him what it was. I cleaned the enclosure with Wipe out which is ammonia based and vet said it's suitable... I ended up throwing away all branches and decorations and replacing them.

Back
Top Bottom