Discovered Something!!!

Ace

Avid Member
Hey,

Well today i found something i never seen before(at least not in nature in highland park in Los angeles) a praying mantis!!! my mom was the one that spotted and told me to catch it and i did!!:D i was going to feed it to my cham right away, but it was too big:(
So i decided to keep it until my cham is big enough:cool:

does anybody know what kind of mantis i caught, its sex, if its safe to feed, and how to care for them???????????????/:confused::)

i placed it in a plastic cage , and put some stems with leaves from my neighbors mullberry tree.

i put agutloaded cricket in the cage, and it CAUGHT IT WITH ITS CLAWS AND TORE IT IN HALF!!!:eek::eek:

HERE ARE SOME PICS...:cool:

SORRY IF THEY ARE BLURRY:eek:

Attachments

• 101_0582.jpg
    101_0582.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 101_0575.jpg
    101_0575.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 101_0578.jpg
    101_0578.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 101_0581.jpg
    101_0581.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 101_0583.jpg
    101_0583.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 175
have no idea, but that is an interesting concept....feeding the feeders to a feeder!!!

it is!!!:D just trying to giv my cham a healthy and happy start:D
Used to find these when i was a child and keep them...feed it crickets

i jusst gave him/or her one , and it was gone:eek:

i hope more people can post to what kind of mantid i got, also is it safe to give to my cham after i feed it gutloaded crix:eek::confused:

I found one like it, and I have previously found Chinese mantid females, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a Chinese mantid male? I'm just guessing though...

Thats awesome, I looked all summer for a mantis to feed my cham but didn't find a single one.

I know, i never fouund one in the wild, only at expos:D, i so i was stoked!!!
I found one like it, and I have previously found Chinese mantid females, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a Chinese mantid male? I'm just guessing though...

Colorcham said the same thing to me about being male, are females larger im guessing:D:p maybe i should get a female and breed!!!!!:rolleyes::p;):cool::D

THe females kill the males. Males are much thinner in the abdomen. I cut off the arms of all medium+ sized mantids just in case. I wouldn't want one of those poking my chameleons' eye!

Funny this topic was made, I actually came across a mantis last night for the first time in about 10 years as i was coming home. It was brown though, and way too large for my chameleon..

I beleive it's a Chinese mantis- I live in Alabama and the Carolinas are predominately what I catch here. For the record I didn't take this picture, but notice the green stripe on it's side- That kinda hollers Chinese,..
746px-NG-PrayingMantis.jpg

:eek:
I beleive it's a Chinese mantis- I live in Alabama and the Carolinas are predominately what I catch here. For the record I didn't take this picture, but notice the green stripe on it's side- That kinda hollers Chinese,..
746px-NG-PrayingMantis.jpg

wait a minute it looks like that too:eek:

but i dont think it has the green stripe

also anybody with expereince breeding this type of manyis???/

i believe i have a male, and hope to find a female- but i hear yhr female eat the males!!! any and all advice needed and welcomed:D:):cool:

They mate while they eat the males. You might as well buy an ooth (eggsack) from your local nursery or from mantisplace.com

They mate while they eat the males. You might as well buy an ooth (eggsack) from your local nursery or from mantisplace.com

i never thought of that thank you:)

how are tthey from mantisplace,?are they known to be good?

i guess i will just keep the mantis untiil my cham is big enough:p

Apparently if you feed the female until she wont eat anymore (ive heard this can be very difficult) then she wont eat the male after they mate.

I raised some a couple of years ago from an ooth, fed them fruitflies at first, then babies started dying off, when my last kept one died (I let most go in garden) my son caught me one at a friends house. A big female. Eventually we found her a mate but he was much smaller & very intimidated by her. I kept them very well-fed to try and save him from the usual fate, lol, but she was prancing & "begging for it" basically and he refused to do anything just bid from her. After a few days of this I think she finally just got sick of it, and i woke up to find her eating him.
But she was plenty full at the beginning, I beleive if he had just properly serviced her when she wanted him to, she would have let him live. it was the waiting and making her beg for it that made her cranky & hungry.
- lesson for you, boys... Don't turn a girl down. Lol.

Apparently if you feed the female until she wont eat anymore (ive heard this can be very difficult) then she wont eat the male after they mate.

That's what I did! I gave my females 3 full grown crickets to eat (which they did in no time) and then let the male in with her. They didn't waste any time either. All the males survived. :)

i dont know how big your is but in ny the ones ive found in the past get get over 8 inches in length and ive seen video's of them taking down and eating snakes and small lizards so I would keep it away from your cammy unless you snap off its hind arms, the ones with the deadly spikes that it uses to catch and eat its pray live. Also its against to law to catch and keep mantis' in ny state. I just dont know what the fine or penalty is.

i dont know how big your is but in ny the ones ive found in the past get get over 8 inches in length and ive seen video's of them taking down and eating snakes and small lizards so I would keep it away from your cammy unless you snap off its hind arms, the ones with the deadly spikes that it uses to catch and eat its pray live. Also its against to law to catch and keep mantis' in ny state. I just dont know what the fine or penalty is.

Wow that's a huge Mantis ... crazy

Back
Top Bottom