Discoloration on Veiled Ch.

Moosma

Our little Juliet has a white patch on her belly and another on her cask; we have no clue what it could be. The one on her cask is about a week old, the belly discoloration is a day or two old.
This is not a shed.

She is 2 years old (hatch date - 9/18/12); she was 9 weeks old when she came to live with us.
Veiled, handled several times a week; a mesh crate 2 x 2 x 4 ft tall. She has a 20 watt Zilla UV light, and basks under a frosted incandescent 100 watt bulb. She doesn't have a lot of live plants in her enclosure. She eats every third day and gets her fill of Dubias dusted with Miner-All and/or Reptivite. The roaches are fed "roach crack" from GotBugz and they get all types of veggies and fruit. She also gets mealworms and the occasional fly...

Please help. What is happening with LittleGirlPale?

Also, I have a very clear pic, but do not know how to upload the thing....

Last edited:
Could be many things including shedding, a burn, a bug bite but no way to know for sure without a pic! should be an option to add a picture! I'm sure others will tell you exactly how!

Is it symmetrical? My guy had a white spot appear on his chin and I was afraid he'd burned himself until I find a matching spot on the other side. Now I just think he's got a white spot : )

I think I got an attachment! I have also tried including a copy of the picture:
attachment.php

See her belly? and her casque has a 1/2" of this discolored skin

Attachments

• Juliet.jpg
    Juliet.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 438
The belly patch looks like early signs of a shed to me. Older chams shed a lot slower and often in patches like this. Can't see what you mean about her casque.

I won't tell her you said "older"!
I have had chameleons for 4 years now... My other is 3 years old, and I had one pass away...
This looks like a shed until you are close to her; there is no separation of the skin shedding away.
If a burn, I can help her heal.
Could it be anything worse than that? I have a time reprieve because my vet is out until 11/5.
Certainly, I will be watching her closely... But if it's anything worse than a burn, I want her to looked at by someone!
Thank you very much for reading all this.

I think it is a area that is going to shed. I have seen this on my chameleons before. It should eventually start lifting away. That does not look like any type of burn.

Would a warm water bath be a good recommendation? I'm not an expert but I think it might help clear up this potential shed situation. As I understand it when a reptile sheds a layer of moisture between the old skin and new kinda helps it pop off. Plus I suppose a bath can't really hurt, the moisture is decent for them and your chameleon will absorb some water through her vent.

All I do is get a clean Rubbermaid type bucket though anything she can't climb out of will do. Then, fill it with enough warm water that her belly is submerged but she can stand and have her mouth and most of her body out of the water. Then put her in and let her hang out for 15-30 minutes.

Not that this is swimming - more of a wading type of thing - but chameleons seem to be decent swimmers. Or at least floaters : P

They just kinda inflate and float along, paddling with their feet. Funny videos on youtube : P

Anyway, I also want to say that I love your chameleon's look. The little yellow stripes on her face and across her mouth, it's a very elegant pattern. Make sure to post and let everyone know how she progresses!

Thank you, everyone.... My mate also thinks it is the beginning of a shed.
We will be soaking Juliette in a tote, in warm water... I always put a towel in the bottom of the tote so they don't slip as much.
We leave them in there for a few minutes.
We also shower with them; we have a pathos hanging in the shower. They get the most beautiful green color going on....
All of this is done individually. Although Romeo and Juliette have met many times, they haven't yet met in a biblical way.

Back
Top Bottom