Discoid Roaches

So I’ve had my Discoids for a month now and decided to do a little update. I have right now after a bit of feeding off, 15 large, 40 medium, and 145 small. I was wondering when do the my reach maturity? I see them molting and many molts laying around along with the occasional glimpse of a freshly molted white one. Also they seem to really love carrots. Do some die off befor they start breeding? Thanks!

I've read anywhere from 3 to 6 months for them to mature. I got my original batch late Oct early Nov last year as 1/4s. I'm starting to see some little ones finally now.
Thank you for the info! I have some quite large ones but they don’t look mature or with wings hopefully in the next month or two. How do you keep yours? Any tips on keeping the heat up?

I keep mine in one of the big sterilite tubs that has wheels. I keep mine on the back porch so they get our regular heat and humidity now. When we swing into cold snaps I pull them inside to my bathroom so they get the humidity from showers.

I keep mine in one of the big sterilite tubs that has wheels. I keep mine on the back porch so they get our regular heat and humidity now. When we swing into cold snaps I pull them inside to my bathroom so they get the humidity from showers.
Thanks I’ll try that I have mine in a dark sterilite with some spraying for humidity carrots and oranges and a basking light to kee the heat up they’re also next to me chameleons so they share they’re humidity in the corner lol

I'll say this on the growth of mine, since switching mine to a pure diet of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla 's gutload and moving them to my back porch there had been some pretty rapid growth. I was doing a switch up for the first few months of going between veggies and his gutload every few days. They were growing but not nearly as fast as they are now that it is just water crystals and just his gutload. I only know a handle full of the ingredients he uses but my goodness do they love it.

When I was getting low on his gutload last time I grabbed a tub of bug burger to tide me over until I could get more of his. I did an experiment and put some of both in there for them in the same dish. They crawled through bug burger to his and cleaned that side then moved over to the bug burger. I found that interesting to I tried his with some veggies at the same time after I got the next batch. They gave me the same results of cleaning the dish of his and then moving to the other food offered.

I'll say this on the growth of mine, since switching mine to a pure diet of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla 's gutload and moving them to my back porch there had been some pretty rapid growth. I was doing a switch up for the first few months of going between veggies and his gutload every few days. They were growing but not nearly as fast as they are now that it is just water crystals and just his gutload. I only know a handle full of the ingredients he uses but my goodness do they love it.

When I was getting low on his gutload last time I grabbed a tub of bug burger to tide me over until I could get more of his. I did an experiment and put some of both in there for them in the same dish. They crawled through bug burger to his and cleaned that side then moved over to the bug burger. I found that interesting to I tried his with some veggies at the same time after I got the next batch. They gave me the same results of cleaning the dish of his and then moving to the other food offered.
Might have to try his gutload. Its just not hot enough outside so I have them inside with a lamp and they stay anywhere from 78-85. How do i go about buying some of his gutload?

It is true. I do sell dry gutload. I put a lot of time and research in to developing this gutload. Ithe is wonderful to be rewarded with healthy chameleons and bugs for the time and effort I put in to developing it! Thanks so much for the feedback @dshuld glad you are happy!

Gotcha, I'm up by Tampa. I have a covered screen back porch that has sliding "windows". During the day it's usually around 80/ 85 on warmer days. On cooler days I slide the "windows" shut. I do have a space heater that has digital controls if it is going to be one of those in between days. Super cold days for us I move them to the bathroom lol. If you have some place you can securely put them outside it's worth a shot. It's certainly helped mine perk up.

Gotcha, I'm up by Tampa. I have a covered screen back porch that has sliding "windows". During the day it's usually around 80/ 85 on warmer days. On cooler days I slide the "windows" shut. I do have a space heater that has digital controls if it is going to be one of those in between days. Super cold days for us I move them to the bathroom lol. If you have some place you can securely put them outside it's worth a shot. It's certainly helped mine perk up.
I’ll definitely give it a try.Thank you

Back
Top Bottom