Discoid Roaches

Daniel266jz

Avid Member
Hello all, I did a search but couldn't find the answers i was looking for. Does anyone on the forums breed or sell Discoid Roaches as i am in Florida and cannot have Dubias here. I would be looking to buy some and maybe start my own colony. Any tips on how to breed will also be helpful thanks!

What size are you looking to start with? Though he just went up on his price on me, Joe's bugz is who I've ordered mine through twice. He is in Ga and $52 shipped for 500 mixed 1/4-3/8 size last I saw a couple weeks ago. Here is one of the care sheets I read before buying my first batch. https://www.aaronpauling.com/pages/discoid-roach-care-sheet.

edit: If you use a large sterilte tub to keep them, do a double row of clear packing tape separated by a small gap. They can and will climb the sides of the tub until they hit the tape. Mine only do it when I open the tub up for feeding and checking on growth.

What size are you looking to start with? Though he just went up on his price on me, Joe's bugz is who I've ordered mine through twice. He is in Ga and $52 shipped for 500 mixed 1/4-3/8 size last I saw a couple weeks ago. Here is one of the care sheets I read before buying my first batch. https://www.aaronpauling.com/pages/discoid-roach-care-sheet.

edit: If you use a large sterilte tub to keep them, do a double row of clear packing tape separated by a small gap. They can and will climb the sides of the tub until they hit the tape. Mine only do it when I open the tub up for feeding and checking on growth.
I was thinking any size would do as of this week i will have three chams and two tarantulas so i need quite a bit. Wow thats actually cheap from what ive seen for only 100! Thank you for the info I will definitely look into that.

Lol yes it's cheaper then anywhere else I found selling them. He only went up $10 from where he was which isn't enough to have an omg moment by any means. He started mixing the 1/4 and 3/8 together instead of just doing 1/4's was the reason. He's been pretty good so far for me though.

The only place I can think of is the above mentioned Roach Crossing. Discoid care is about the same as for dubias. A little less prolific but a 10 or a 20 gallon will produce plenty for a few chams.

You can also keep green banana roaches in Florida (double check that) I believe. Full Throttle Feeders has them at a reasonable price but they are a bit more care. I am pretty sure they are native to FL so you may even be able to find them. Green bananas are well known for breaking chams hunger strikes.

Lol yes it's cheaper then anywhere else I found selling them. He only went up $10 from where he was which isn't enough to have an omg moment by any means. He started mixing the 1/4 and 3/8 together instead of just doing 1/4's was the reason. He's been pretty good so far for me though.
Yea thats pretty good I can do 100 1/4-3/8" mixed along with 100 Medium and 25 Large, would that be enough to start a colony? That way i can have some to feed off with some worms and have the rest breeding and what not. I also have a cabinet where it stays pretty humid and also it stays a good 80 degrees so my question is do i need a heat mat? Id also be feeding fresh veggies from my local flea market where i can get em cheap and fresh! I also heard that they breed quicker eating oranges lol? Water crystals?

The only place I can think of is the above mentioned Roach Crossing. Discoid care is about the same as for dubias. A little less prolific but a 10 or a 20 gallon will produce plenty for a few chams.

You can also keep green banana roaches in Florida (double check that) I believe. Full Throttle Feeders has them at a reasonable price but they are a bit more care. I am pretty sure they are native to FL so you may even be able to find them. Green bananas are well known for breaking chams hunger strikes.

Yes green bananas are legal here. I need to smuggle a small batch into my house sometime lol. With them being flyers I was given a stern "your not breeding those in my house!" when I was looking at roaches before haha!

Yes green bananas are legal here. I need to smuggle a small batch into my house sometime lol. With them being flyers I was given a stern "your not breeding those in my house!" when I was looking at roaches before haha!
Same here anything flying and ill get a threat saying my pets might be "flying" out of the house hahha

Yea thats pretty good I can do 100 1/4-3/8" mixed along with 100 Medium and 25 Large, would that be enough to start a colony? That way i can have some to feed off with some worms and have the rest breeding and what not. I also have a cabinet where it stays pretty humid and also it stays a good 80 degrees so my question is do i need a heat mat? Id also be feeding fresh veggies from my local flea market where i can get em cheap and fresh! I also heard that they breed quicker eating oranges lol? Water crystals?

I do use water crystals in my tub. I have a "small" dish of them in there for them. I need to grab a bag of them from home depot but so far I've teied the green zilla ones and both flukers. They seem to prefer the green zilla more for what ever reason. Below is what I sent @Katacara when I talked with her about them.

What I've tried feeding so far for future reference:

Banana: didn't like none ate it.
Orange: liked but of course be careful lol
Cuties: only touched if nothing else in there with them.
Mixed greens (I buy the bag that has mustard turnip and collard mixed): they LOVE that shiz!
Apple: got mixed "reviews" from them haha!! Some ate it while others ignored it.
Sweet potato: liked it but if in with greens they ignored it.
Bug burger: I haven't tried "cooked" yet but dry they devour it. See more below
Matt's dry: They love this shiz like no other. I experimented and put both bug burger and Matt's in the dish side by side. They flocked to Matt's and left the bug burger alone other then to walk through it to Matt's lmfao!
Cucumber: mixed reviews here too.
Squash (spaghetti, acorn and butternut): mixed reviews here too.
Carrots: don't seem to like at all!

If i think of any other stuff I've given them I'll add on lol.

I do use water crystals in my tub. I have a "small" dish of them in there for them. I need to grab a bag of them from home depot but so far I've teied the green zilla ones and both flukers. They seem to prefer the green zilla more for what ever reason. Below is what I sent @Katacara when I talked with her about them.

What I've tried feeding so far for future reference:

Banana: didn't like none ate it.
Orange: liked but of course be careful lol
Cuties: only touched if nothing else in there with them.
Mixed greens (I buy the bag that has mustard turnip and collard mixed): they LOVE that shiz!
Apple: got mixed "reviews" from them haha!! Some ate it while others ignored it.
Sweet potato: liked it but if in with greens they ignored it.
Bug burger: I haven't tried "cooked" yet but dry they devour it. See more below
Matt's dry: They love this shiz like no other. I experimented and put both bug burger and Matt's in the dish side by side. They flocked to Matt's and left the bug burger alone other then to walk through it to Matt's lmfao!
Cucumber: mixed reviews here too.
Squash (spaghetti, acorn and butternut): mixed reviews here too.
Carrots: don't seem to like at all!

If i think of any other stuff I've given them I'll add on lol.
Thanks a bunch i should be starting my colony up in the next month or so.

Same here anything flying and ill get a threat saying my pets might be "flying" out of the house hahha
I know you cant convince some people (the others in the house) but as far as them living in the house, outside the cage, is probably far less. They like to bury in the dirt with lots of humidity. They might be able to find pockets in the house that meet their requirements but I seriously doubt you would ever find them living under the fridge for long. I never lived in the south so I could be off about this... maybe they infest houses readily, but I am guessing, if they do, you have more serious issues with the house.

Thanks a bunch i should be starting my colony up in the next month or so.

No problem. Like I told katacara, if I think of anything else I've tried with them I'll mention it lol.

I know you cant convince some people (the others in the house) but as far as them living in the house, outside the cage, is probably far less. They like to bury in the dirt with lots of humidity. They might be able to find pockets in the house that meet their requirements but I seriously doubt you would ever find them living under the fridge for long. I never lived in the south so I could be off about this... maybe they infest houses readily, but I am guessing, if they do, you have more serious issues with the house.

For me, my wife has a case katsaridaphobia to begin with lol. She wasn't thrilled when I said I was going to start a colony of any roach type at all. So I had to agree to no flying roaches at all when I bought my first 500. Recently she found out discoid have wings and freaked out at me. I had to reassure her they do not fly though they do have wings.

No problem. Like I told katacara, if I think of anything else I've tried with them I'll mention it lol.

For me, my wife has a case katsaridaphobia to begin with lol. She wasn't thrilled when I said I was going to start a colony of any roach type at all. So I had to agree to no flying roaches at all when I bought my first 500. Recently she found out discoid have wings and freaked out at me. I had to reassure her they do not fly though they do have wings.
I'm lucky enough to have a REALLY understanding and patient wife. Not sure how she puts up with me. Some people cant get past the fact that they are roaches, let alone flying roaches. I fill in at a pet shop from time to time, we advertise them as Dubias and Orange Heads. If anyone asks, I tell them, but we don't advertise the roach part.

I'm lucky enough to have a REALLY understanding and patient wife. Not sure how she puts up with me. Some people cant get past the fact that they are roaches, let alone flying roaches. I fill in at a pet shop from time to time, we advertise them as Dubias and Orange Heads. If anyone asks, I tell them, but we don't advertise the roach part.
I was also thinking if my colony gets a bit bigger than intended ill sell some to a local mom and pop pet store im sure theyll love them. That means i can have some extra cash for more worms haha

She's been pretty understanding on everything else so I'm trying to be understanding on her phobia.

I was also thinking if my colony gets a bit bigger than intended ill sell some to a local mom and pop pet store im sure theyll love them. That means i can have some extra cash for more worms haha

I've considered approaching my reptile store once my colony is like that :D. They already sell discoid so I've considered asking if they'd do trades on discoid for other feeders when the time comes.

She's been pretty understanding on everything else so I'm trying to be understanding on her phobia.

I get that.

I've considered approaching my reptile store once my colony is like that :D. They already sell discoid so I've considered asking if they'd do trades on discoid for other feeders when the time comes.

Many private shops would. The shop I fill in at cant raise them themselves because employees keep selling all the large nymphs so when the adults die, there are none to take their place. Unfortunately, many shops dont know how to sell them. When I work, I will sell like 30 - 50 in a day. Yet they only sell like 200 a month. When people buy crickets for their beardie or cham, they need to let the customer know. My point is, depending on the shop, they may not sell many at all. Also, dont expect to get near what the shop sells them for. Maybe 1/4 or even less. dealing with live goods takes alot more labor than dealing with dry.

Back
Top Bottom