Dino fuel or big burger, which do you use?

devol

I'm currently using bug burger but someone was telling me that Dino fuel is better for the chams color. Is this the only benefit?

I have cricket crack, bug burger, and Dinofuel(raptor edition) and I can tell you the crickets prefer the bug burger the best. (but that dosen't mean its the best)

-And the color part, I don't think the Dinofuel is going to change your chams color or make it appear anymore vibrant, honestly I think having a healthy diet and just being in good health in general leads to great colors. So yes the dinofuel could help with colors simply because it is nutritious for your cham, doesn't mean bug burger or any other gutload won't do the same. (I don't know the science behind this though, maybe there is something i'm missing about the dinofuel?)

What I do is I rotate these 3, I use dinofuel one or 2 days, then maybe switch to cricket crack.. I don't even have a schedule for this I just switch it up.

Ontop of that I use lots of fresh greens/veggies. I usually put the cricket crack all over pieces of carrot or something.

Occasionally you can even dust your feeders with dinofuel. However I would do this sparingly.

My superworms are in Superchow as a gutload and substrate. My chameleon is a superworm guy.. like obsessed with these things, so they are fed every other day. People say they are fatty and bad for your cham but I gutload them very well so I feel like it is okay.

interestingly, I find crickets hardly touched bug burger, though roaches will eat it.
I'd suggest fresh vegetables, fruits, a few seeds/nuts, and dino fuel, perhaps with bug burger and/or cricket crack as well. Its best not to rely to heavily on one item over all others - variety is good (including in prey selection - superworms should form no more than 20% of the chams diet)

(I don't know the science behind this though, maybe there is something i'm missing about the dinofuel?)
Occasionally you can even dust your feeders with dinofuel. However I would do this sparingly.

Yes, there is a lot you are missing behind the science. Also bug burger isn't Repashy's marketed pigment enhancer. SuperPig is and it uses many of the same ingredients as Dinofuel to achieve this. DinoFuel can be used daily as a dust or as a topping to your veggies. Why do you say sparingly?

I use bug burger that has cricket crack mixed into it so it solidifies into the gel. My crickets go crazy for it. I am going to get some dino fuel to mix in as well. I also provides different fruits and veggies to them as well.

I have bug burer, dino fuel raptor, cricket crack. and one of sandras recipes.

In the crickets mind.. cricket crack>sandras recipe>bug burger>dino fuel raptor

I just rotate all of them on a weekly basis but the crickets seem to like the cricket crack the best(I get it moist).. people say on here that they go crazy for the bug burger and sandras recipe but that is not the case in my cricket keeper.

Imo just get all of them and rotate them.. then you know your chameleon is getting whats best.. and something with the dino fuels shipping sucks.. they lag on http://kilgourschameleons.com/products.asp atleast for me its been like 2 and a half weeks and my stuff hasn't got here.

I have cricket crack, bug burger, and Dinofuel(raptor edition) and I can tell you the crickets prefer the bug burger the best. (but that dosen't mean its the best)

-And the color part, I don't think the Dinofuel is going to change your chams color or make it appear anymore vibrant, honestly I think having a healthy diet and just being in good health in general leads to great colors. So yes the dinofuel could help with colors simply because it is nutritious for your cham, doesn't mean bug burger or any other gutload won't do the same. (I don't know the science behind this though, maybe there is something i'm missing about the dinofuel?)

You hit it right on. A healthy chameleon is a colorful chameleon.

Many of the "color enhancing :rolleyes:" ingredients are already found in most multivitamins ;)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/174-whats-supplements-brand.html

I just rotate all of them on a weekly basis but the crickets seem to like the cricket crack the best(I get it moist).. people say on here that they go crazy for the bug burger and sandras recipe but that is not the case in my cricket keeper.

Imo just get all of them and rotate them.. then you know your chameleon is getting whats best.. and something with the dino fuels shipping sucks.. they lag on http://kilgourschameleons.com/products.asp atleast for me its been like 2 and a half weeks and my stuff hasn't got here.

Dinofuel's shipping is totally free, if you want it faster you can certainly pay for quicker shipping. If you are out of the country shipping can take up to 30 days. In rare instances shipping can take longer, but on average it takes 2 -5 days if you are in the U.S. However, as you know your order was lost by the USPS, returned back to me and I sent you a larger quantity than you ordered and I kept in communication with you the entire time.

You hit it right on. A healthy chameleon is a colorful chameleon.

Many of the "color enhancing :rolleyes:" ingredients are already found in most multivitamins ;)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/174-whats-supplements-brand.html

Color enhancing ingredients are in fish, birds, amphibians, and reptile foods. Also, I don't understand why you roll your eyes. Basically, you are not understanding the science behind it all. Color enhancing ingredients are not just in mutli vitamins. Btw, super pig is a color enhancing product similar to DinoFuel, not bug burger. Just an FYI.

Last edited:
You can quit the science act.

Bug burger is a great product. Many more ingredients compared to other premixed gut loads available. My insects devour it.

I quit using all commercial gut loads as they contain certain levels of fat soluble vitamins. I have chameleons with gular edema and it has been pretty much impossible to beat. I blame the fat soluble vitamins in all of these commercial gut loads. I prefer to make my own dry and wet gut loads and fully control the vitamin content.

If you feed your crickets and roaches etc these commercial gut loads that contain these vitamins, then feed horn-worms that are fed commercial chow that also contains these vitamins, and then dust your feeders with these vitamins as suggested, you may be overdoing it and end up in the situation many of us are in......gular edema and no way to cure it. We need to be more responsible with our gut loading and vitamin supplementing. Too much of a good thing is really too much.

Yeah, Bug Burger is a great product and I didn't state otherwise. Ataraxia, I'm not sure what "science act" you're referring to, but you seem to have an agenda. BTW, they are totally different products as BB is a gel premix. Also, a multi vit is not the same as bb, superpig, or df.

Edit: I figured I would clear up the confusion on Multivitamins compared to BB, DF, and SP. These gutloads are much different than a multivit. All of these products are quality products and I am only sharing these to help with the confusion.

Herptivite ingredients:

13+-+1

DinoFuel and Raptor Edition ingredients:

13+-+1

13+-+1

Bug Burger:

Gel premix, BUG BURGER

Complete Feeder Insect Diet (Gel Premix)

NET WEIGHT 5.3 OZ / 150 GR

Our complete Diet for Crickets, Roaches, and other Insects. This premix makes up to 15 one cup size blocks of finished gel per pound.

INFORMATION: This premium diet feeds AND hydrates insects, eliminating the need for dry feed and standing water. Its nutrient rich formula is fortified with Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamins, and Carotenoids in order to maximize the nutritional value of Insects as feeders.

INGREDIENTS: Alfalfa Meal, Flax Meal, Corn Meal, Potato Granules, Brewers Dried Yeast, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Kelp, Calcium Carbonate, Carrageenan, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Dried Krill, RoseHips, Cinnamon, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Spirulina Algae, Turmeric, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Malic Acid, Calcium Propionate, Methylparaben, and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Crude Protein min. 20%, Crude Fat min. 5%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 12%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 10%, Calcium min. 5%, Calcium max. 6%, Phosphorus min. 0.5%.

SuperPig:

Repashy SuperPig is a Carotenoid Supplement designed to enhance the diet and appearance of Reptiles, Fish, Amphibians and Birds. Repashy SuperPig contains different carotenoids, which are organic pigments that cannot be formed by animals, and are generally produced by plants, algae, or fungi. Carotenoids act as antioxidants, can be converted into vitamins, and even absorb harmful light in the eye. Most notably of all, carotenoids are often absorbed into the body and increase the amount of visible red, orange, or yellow coloration in a variety of animals, reptiles and amphibians included. Carotenoids may not have visible effects in all species, but when used correctly, are beneficial to your pet's health. At the very least, carotenoids are a great source of antioxidants.

There are several carotenoids commonly used as color enhancers. Quality color enhancers will have many different carotenoids from different sources.

Alpha Carotene - a precurser to vitamin A

Astaxanthan - a red pigment responsible for the red color of salmon and cooked shellfish.

Beta-Carotene - a very important precurser to vitamin A

Beta Cryptoxanthin - an important antioxidant and provitamin A

Canthaxanthin - a red pigment used to increase the pink/red color in farm raised salmon

Capsanthin - a red pigment, present in paprika in conjunction with Capsorubin

Capsorubin - a red pigment, present in paprika in conjunction with Capsanthin

Lutein - a yellow pigment, present in many leafy green vegetables

Lycopene - an orange/red pigment present in tomatoes and other yellow, orange, or red vegetables

INFORMATION: Contains a “broad spectrum” of Carotenoids and at the minimum, the following major Astaxanthan, Capsanthin, Capsorubin, Apsorubin, Beta-Carotene, Alpha Carotene, Beta Cryptoxanthin, Zeaxanthin, Neoaxanthin, Cucurbitaxanthin, Violaxanthin, Lutein, Echineone, Canthaxanthin and Lycopene.

INGREDIENTS: Calendula Flower “Pot Marigold”, Capsicum Annuum Extract “Paprika” (Saponified), Tagetes Erecta Extract “Marigold” (Saponified), Pfaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Spirulina Platensis Algae, Rosa Canina Powder “RoseHips”, Curcuma Longa “Turmeric”, Canthaxanthin. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 6%, Crude Fat min. 1%, Crude Fat max. 3%, Crude Fiber max. 10%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 8%. Total Carotenoids min. 3,000 mg/lb.

Last edited:

Something went wrong with my order. Tom totally fixed it and it shipped fast! Scratch what I said about shipping there was just some unusual issue. It was even the bigger size!

Carotenoids may not have visible effects in all species, but when used correctly, are beneficial to your pet's health. At the very least, carotenoids are a great source of antioxidants.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

You also left out Cal plus supplement. Do you recognize many of the ingredients? Cross reference these ingredients to the gut loads. In the ingredients below you will find many of those "color enhancers" in a multivitamin supplement... Again, refer to the big words in the quote.

Cal Plus LoD
INGREDIENTS: Calcium Carbonate, Dried Kelp, Algae Meal, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Hibiscus Flower, Algae Meal, Turmeric, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Natural Fruit Flavor, Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Iodide. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Last edited:
I as a forum sponsor recommend and sell Dynofuel,as do other forum sponsor's.It is also against forum rules to bring up negitave issues regarding sponsor products&services.There are other forum for that purpose. That being said I also use many of rapashy products.And many other products that help me keep a wide variety when gut loading insects for my chameleons.

Last edited:
I find that my feeders DEVOUR the dinofuel when I sprinkle it on veggies and such. More so than other gutloads ive used. I really feel like my cham is getting what he needs.

IMO try them both out.. Then you have the best of both worlds. Dinofuel seems to be the most reasonably priced, at least as shipping goes.Bug burger is very expensive at the pet store by me and shipping isn't free online for it

I feel I should point out that while you do obviously want the crickets etc to injest the gutload, its not important which gutload the crickets "like the best". What is important is getting the nutrients to your chameleon that your chameleon needs. Crickets will happily eat dog food, flaked fish food, corn, oats, and all sorts of other things that are not necessarily good gutloads in terms of feeding a chameleon.

4oz cricket crack = $5.00 tiki tiki
3oz bug burger = $6.98 repashy store
3oz dino fuel = $13.99 kilgourchameleons

16oz cricket crack = $15.00 tiki tiki
16oz bug burger = $17.98 repashy store
7oz dino fuel = $24.99 kilgourschameleons

Numbers are totally lame, especially money numbers...

In my experience, which is always very numbery and scientific i might add...

Bug burger is the precursor and majorly responsible for the improvement in a very young and quite sickly veiled chameleon.

His color is getting more vibrant and now has a strong appetite.
Bam, simple
Compared to a commercial dry gut load such a flukers, there is not even a competition

I feel I should point out that while you do obviously want the crickets etc to injest the gutload, its not important which gutload the crickets "like the best". What is important is getting the nutrients to your chameleon that your chameleon needs. Crickets will happily eat dog food, flaked fish food, corn, oats, and all sorts of other things that are not necessarily good gutloads in terms of feeding a chameleon.

crickets will also pick the items in a dry gutload that they find the most tasty, avoiding a majority of the attempted nutrient supplementation. The ingredient of the bug burger are nearly identical to sandras dry recipe with the addition of gelatin and preservatives

I think a pureed/gel type substance is far more effective at ensuring the feeders consume the nutrients and minerals you want them to.

The not for human consumption lable worries me though. Dont they put the same thing on the salt that guy was on when he ate that other guys face under a bridge?

Back
Top Bottom