Dilepis babies

filip

Here are some pics of my dilepis...a lovely cham, but Heika diagnosed mbd after I noticed some upsetting deformations of the front legs. It can't be seen from the pic as it is the right front leg, but it looks like he is recovering :)
I am hoping for the best...also, if anyone has some advice regarding the treatment, you are all welcome....
F.

Attachments

• dilepis u shumi striborovoj.jpg
    dilepis u shumi striborovoj.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 202
Filip,

There are a couple of Vets here on the forums. Hopefully one of them will be able to give you a recommendation. It definitley appears like MBD, but without knowing the history of the animal and direct examination it's not possible to know for sure. I'm sure Heika didn't mean it as a diagnoses. If its legs are bendable I would say yes MBD for sure. Be careful I would get a vets opinion in person if you're able to. For caution sake I would up the calcium you're giving him along with proper UVA/UVB exposure. Good luck!

Please post the pictures of the front leg.

Hiya Filip,

The word diagnosis seems to imply that I am a vet.. which I am not. It is my opinion that it looks like MBD, though. I think one of the biggest challenges you face as a chameleon keeper is the relative isolation and lack of resources you find in your country for caring for a chameleon. It is a simple thing to pick up liquid calcium carbonate here in the US, but I have no idea how to mix it myself. One of the forum vets should be able to help you with that, though. Here, I am linking to a picture from your gallery that seems to show a break in his leg:

legs.jpg

Well, Heika helped me really a lot when I wasn't getting any replies from other people and I saw she really knows a lot about chams, so her opinion is a diagnosis for me :)
I have just found out about a vet who works with reptiles, but it is some 120miles from my town. I don't know if I should drive the little ones that far away...its a long trip...
I will post some updates soon.
All the best
Filip

Can I use Nekton MSA? It also has calcium, minerals and vitamin D3...but is says it is for birds...
F.

Well, the vet adviced me to take them to make some x-rays, even though I am a little concerned about moving them while they are so tiny. However, I can do that only tomorrow as it is closed now. As for the calcium, he will see if he can find this particular Ca+D3 supplement for reptiles and send it to me...
All the best
F.

MBD or not it is a cute little one. I don't think it takes a vet to say it is MBD. The picture that shows the lump on the leg is a pretty classic example of what happens. You should let us know if you can't get some good calcium products. They would be easy to ship. Are you able to put your baby in some real sunshine for short periods a couple of times a week? Not sure where you are and the temperature this time of year. Make sure the baby is spending his time in the cage near the UVB light source. They only reach a certain depth. Please let us know if we can help you more. Best wishes to you :)

Hey Filip,

Have you talked to anyone about shipping you some supplements yet? If not.. let us know. I would be happy to pick some up and ship them to you as well. How are your little guys doing?

Heika

Hi Heika,
Thanks and thank you all for the concern and for beeing so kind to be willing to ship me the needed supplements. I hope that won't be necessary as I have talked to the vet and he told me he has ordered the Ca+D3 supplements from Hungary and he should be getting it anyday now. I would go to Hungary myself, but the visa permit need weeks to be done...
I also sent him plenty of photos and he said they should be fine if I start with the D3 as soon as possible.
I have been keeping them in the sun for a couple of hours everyday for the past 8 days, I went far away from the town to get them some wc grasshoppers. They have become more active and yesterday ate really a lot...
I am wondering now if I have to take them to the vet so he can see them personally, its a long trip (120miles) of bumpy roads...
All the best
Filip

The latest update is that I have made an appointment with the vet for saturday, I hope they won't mind the ride...
As for the supplements, I think I will accept someone's offer to send me a really good product, and I will be happy to refound all the expences. It looks like the vet's got only Tetrafauna ReptoCal, which has "P" and I can't see any specifications on the quantities on the envelope, and I don't like that...anyone used that?
All the best
Filip

Here are some fresh pics from last sunday...and a week before...they seem to be doing better, they are no all day outside and most of the day basking on the sun. The supplements Will sent me arrived and now I started a more intensive calcium treatment...Thanks Will!!!
F.

Attachments

• Dilepis.jpg
    Dilepis.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 112
  • dilepis3.jpg
    dilepis3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 117
  • dilepis 2.jpg
    dilepis 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 107
filip, that is bada$$! you got the blueprints for that cage?:p How long did it take you to build? Great job on the cage and beautiful chams!

Jim

Thanks, I still have to add some plants and decoration...a friend of mine made it, he is a carpenter and he really knows how to work with wood. Its made of oak wood btw...
All the best
Filip

Back
Top Bottom