Digging?

Amanda S

I provided a plastic shoebox in my chams cage filled with coconut fiber that is sprayed periodically through the day. Since I put it in there two days ago she has been digging in it a lot but not very deep holes.

In your opinion, should the coconut fiber be moist or dry? I spray it but it isn't wet through it. Just the first couple inches. Should I pack it down more too?

Most people use either sand or an organic soil/sand mix for laying containers. We used sand for our veiled and that went very well. I'm not sure sure about the coconut fiber at all...maybe one of the pros will chime in with their thoughts on that one.

Will do, that makes sense, it doesn't seem like she can dig in it too well so I will do that ASAP, I have both on hand. The shoebox is 8"ish? It's a normal size plastic one. What do you use for a laying container that stay in the cage? My cage is only 18x18x36

I use a sand and coconut fiber mix-moisten it until it holds a tunnel. My female Veiled loves this mix and has laid in it 3X. The major benefit is that if weighs about half of what the same container mixed with pure sand does, and if it collapses may not be as bad as sand collapsing on a female. I use flower pots that are 10" deep and wide at the top. Some of my cages have the pot under a plant stand, like this 18X18X30" cage...
DSCN1677.jpg

Back
Top Bottom