Digging in the substrate

The Oscar dude

Hi all I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on Oscars ( my 6 month old Yemeni male ) digging down in the substrate, we have noticed that while he doesn’t mind being handled ( virtually daily for a couple of minutes as a health check )we think it is ploy by him to escape as if we open his door to do a bit of cage maintenance he is off out trying to get on to the plant next to his viv, also he seems to be looking out of the window next to the plant and searching all over the mesh mostly in that area.
Now he is digging deep in the planted strata, it does not seem to bother him but my question is is he hunting the custodians( large tropical wood lice and small blue )
Or is he trying to dig his way out or is he looking for possible females as he is getting that age now I have been told.
The dude

You sure he's not a she trying to lay eggs? Males won't dig... if it is a she, you have a small window to leave her be or she will be come egg bound suffer and die. If it is a she, she needs a suitable laying bin to do this. If they see you, they'll stop what they're doing and start all over. Many people here have lost chameleons to eggbinding it is an urgent matter.

You sure he's not a she trying to lay eggs? Males won't dig... if it is a she, you have a small window to leave her be or she will be come egg bound suffer and die. If it is a she, she needs a suitable laying bin to do this. If they see you, they'll stop what they're doing and start all over. Many people here have lost chameleons to eggbinding it is an urgent matter.

Thanks to both of you for the info ,I am fairly sure he is a male , thick tail base, spurs on back legs, but having looked up on line Re sexying them some say that some females are also the same, is there any other method that can be used to check the sex.?
He ialso seems very hungry hunting around at least half of the time and will always take a cricket and the odd wild caught moth/butterfly within seconds when offered as a treat.
At six months old I am feeding him 10/14 crickets a days that have been gutloaded for a full 24 hours separated from the the rest of them, is this to much
Thanks the dude

Spurs are Male, can you post pictures just to certain? Filling out the help form would be the next step. And if the man is hungry, let him eat

44AC44F9-3B05-493D-8249-AC4924E3694A.jpeg
Taken 20 mins ago have given his house a of bit tidy new leaves etc let me know what you think

View attachment 210214 Taken 20 mins ago have given his house a of bit tidy new leaves etc let me know what you think[/QUOTE
Given his age I’m going to say this is just his hormones changing and driving him to explore his world. I do not have any substrate in any of my enclosures but if I did I know my males would be digging in them to try to escape. They routinely pace around the bottom of their vivs looking for any way to escape. They also play the same game as your where they act like their glad to see you but they are really just using you to get out of their viv!

View attachment 210214 Taken 20 mins ago have given his house a of bit tidy new leaves etc let me know what you think

Given his age I’m going to say this is just his hormones changing and driving him to explore his world. I do not have any substrate in any of my enclosures but if I did I know my males would be digging in them to try to escape. They routinely pace around the bottom of their vivs looking for any way to escape. They also play the same game as your where they act like their glad to see you but they are really just using you to get out of their viv!

Thanks for your advice I-think you have given me peace of mind .
I am new to any reptiles and am always glad of guidance , as you know when you read up and study the keeping of chams there are some conflicting views ( but if it works for them great) it’s not easy to get it right and depth of experience in the matter is invaluable.
Once again thanks as your summary of Oscars habits confirms what I see.
The dude aka Graham

Back
Top Bottom