Different Types of Worms

Video Master

So I was wondering how good each worm is for chams.

How would you rank the different worms. I am listing the ones that I know about, but please add others that are good for them to eat.

Silk Worms
Horn Worms
Super Worms
Meal Worms
Phoenix Worms
Butter Worms
Wax Worms

Sandrachameleon could tell you everthing about each of these worms and may even have a blog about them. I did have this little chart in my photobucket.

phoenixchart2.jpg

How big do these guys get? They seem kind of small where i'm looking at them like they would be missed or passed up by my cham.

So I was wondering how good each worm is for chams.

How would you rank the different worms. I am listing the ones that I know about, but please add others that are good for them to eat.

Silk Worms
Horn Worms
Super Worms
Meal Worms
Phoenix Worms
Butter Worms
Wax Worms

Here is how I would rate them. Some are pretty close and interchangeable.

Silkworms (Very high protein, good moisture, Low/Med fat, great calcium)
Phoenix Worms (Very good ca/p ratio, decent protein)
Butterworms (great calcium, decent protein)

The reason I put butters slightly below Phoenix is because phoenix are easier to keep, otherwise they are VERY similar.

Hornworms (These are mostly water, but can help rehydrate, I feed sparingly)
Superworms (Decently hard shell, decent protein, but high in fat)
Waxworms (Very high in fat, not a good item to feed often)
Mealworms (A lot of shell, not a lot of good in anything, in my opinion the worst common feeder around)

Supers/Waxworms can be good for when they go on hunger strikes to beef them back up or after a female got done laying/giving birth.

Everyones going to have different opinions on these, but this is how I rate them.

How big do these guys get? They seem kind of small where i'm looking at them like they would be missed or passed up by my cham.

I assume you are talking about the phoenix worms, if you buy them online they tend to not be very fat even the adult ones but if you gutload them (which can get gross) they get very plump.

Back
Top Bottom