Different species pygmy together in one viv?

aeolis23

I was talking to a friend about chameleons and we came to the subject of putting 2 different species of pygmies in the same viv. I told him that's not recommended, but when he insisted for arguments I realised I actually did 't know any valid argument. Anyone who knows why specifically this is not recommended? Anyone who had bad experiences with it that differ from the regular problems that occur when keeping same species pygmies together? And how do f.e. 2 males from different species act when they bump into each other, the same as same species males?

Many reptiles like the chameleon are living alone in the wild, don't form families etc. Like many others they have not developed proper social skills, it's just missing information in their brain. I don't think they would do any physical harm to each other but I wouldn't doubt it would cause stress, if not long term stress which will affect their health negatively.
But I am not experienced with either pygmies or co habitat different spiecis but I wouldn't practice it just for the simple reason of stress

Of course the different pygmy species have different husbandry requirements (temperatures, humidity etc.) so creating a perfect habitat for one species could be very detrimental to the other.

Back
Top Bottom