Different Species and New to this forum!

Darkmaster743

First time posting here, I have two chameleons. A panther and a veiled, both are housed in separate cages, they are also not my only lizards which is where the problem comes in. I have a skink, and two geckos. Owning all these different species causes my rooms temperature and humidity to fluctuate since Im housing desert animals, two island tropic type, and a skink which has a humidity in between. I usually increase humidity in cages by using a spray bottle but this is bothersome because I have work so I cannot be there three times a day to spray the panthers cage since he likes his more misty than most veiled chameleons ( I've read two times a day for almost two minutes. ) I'm a new chameleon owner and acquired both in the last three months, what do you recommend in terms of maintaining a high humidity, is there a cost effective system that I can buy that would aid with this. I am willing to spend if it is a good investment, and I really care about their health. Any advice for keeping chameleons in general is appreciated.

Since this is also my first post I'll include some stuff about what I currently own, and about me.
I'm a 16 year old student working as a waiter who owns a total of five lizards ( A lot of money goes towards them hahaha ). I started with geckos, and I've had my eldest for about five years. I originally came from the forum gecko talk which has gradually become inactive over the years and no one has any thing really outside of geckos.

And now for the lizards. I have two geckos which I've had for about 5 years ( You still learn new stuff everyday ), and have attended many reptile expos since first acquiring them. This year when NARBC came to Dallas I actually ended up purchasing a Veiled, and later on acquired a panther. Usually people classify them as non-beginner pets and rightfully because they get stressed, and so on. I hope to stay active on this forum and learn a lot about what I can do to improve the lives of my chameleons based on what you guys teach me.

Name: Pascal
Species: Veiled Chameleon
Diet: Dusted crickets ( Also gut loaded used flukers carrot water and vitamin mix ) 5 - 7 large every day or other day.
Misted: Twice a day

Name: Shady
Species: Panther Chameleon
Age: 8 months old, Most aggressive son of a btch I've ever seen in my life. Recently been trying to build his trust by getting him to rely on food from my hands, and drinking from a branch while I spray water but I haven't held him since he bit me the day I got him.

Alright sorry for the long post, Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to the forums!!! ;) There are tons of questions and answers about humidity levels and enclosures on the forums. Do a search for humidity or misting (search is at the top right of the page), or even humidifiers in the general discussion forum or even the enclosures one and you will find tons of related threads. As for me, I use a MistKing system for my veiled enclosure, and I love it. Check out our forum sponsors http://mistking.com/ and https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/ for some great ideas. Check out the care resources to get some great ideas about specific requirements and you can find some great info on lighting needs and supplements as well! https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/
The quick trick many use with raising humidity in a screen enclosure is to use a plastic sheet or shower curtain around three sides to reduce moisture loss, but there are other solutions out there. What type of enclosures are your chams in? You could definitely use one MistKing system for both enclosures and not have to worry. The humidity levels for a veiled and a panther are basicly close enough to use the same misting schedule (IMO) and the system runs about $100. You would have to get a few nozzles and some extra tubing, but it would work great. What type of lighting do you have?

Nice, what stuck out to me the most is that your gut loading with fluckers carrot cubes, rookie mistake, make sure you gut load with veggies and please make sure your bugs get dusted with calcium powder every feeding and calcium WITH d3 and a multivitamin 2 times a month.. Good luck

Nice, what stuck out to me the most is that your gut loading with fluckers carrot cubes, rookie mistake, make sure you gut load with veggies and please make sure your bugs get dusted with calcium powder every feeding and calcium WITH d3 and a multivitamin 2 times a month.. Good luck
Why are the carrot cubes bad? They are a water source, Oder neutralizer. What do you recommend I use instead?

Sorry I took so long, they do not provide the various nutrients you crickets need to pass on to your Cham, think of your feeders as nutrient and moisture capsules, whatever you feed is what your Cham gets, good or bad. Since feeders are not wild where they would be feeding in various plants with different nutrients we have to try and provide a varied diet and different dusting supplements to keep that nutritional value as high as we can in captivity.

Sorry I took so long, they do not provide the various nutrients you crickets need to pass on to your Cham, think of your feeders as nutrient and moisture capsules, whatever you feed is what your Cham gets, good or bad. Since feeders are not wild where they would be feeding in various plants with different nutrients we have to try and provide a varied diet and different dusting supplements to keep that nutritional value as high as we can in captivity.
I used spinach leaves today, and threw in 2 carrot cubes to use as a water source. What would you usually recommend?

Kale, mustard greens, dandelion leaves, carrot, papaya, mango, apples, orange, hibiscus leaves.... Sandrachameleons blog has a bunch of recepies and chameleon safe vegetables you can use for you chameleon feeders, no spinach because it's calcium absorption which is what where trying to avoid. I'm sure there's a lot more vegetable if you type it in the search..

Back
Top Bottom