Differences between Veiled and Panthers

I posted how Petco has gorgeous baby Panthers for sale. IF, I get the urge and buy another enclosure and a panther, what am I in for ? I've had my veiled for almost a year now. He's healthy and flourishing with us (hope I don't jinx him). I know to read up more if I decide to get a panther. But what are the Major differences ? Temperament, temperature, feeding etc.

Other than they dont eat veg, you can setup the tanks the same.

Temperament is based on the individual. Ive had lovable veileds, and panthers i couldnt hand off to other people. By the same token its called "teenage veiled syndrome" for a reason.

just out of curiosity, how much are they selling the panther chameleons for at petco?
I see veilds go for 90 in my local petco..... never seen a panther

I had my veiled first before getting my panther. Their set up is exactly the same. The only difference being that Loki (Veiled male) is VERY antisocial...he doesn't even like eye contact, let alone actual touching lol.

Where as Link (Male Panther) is an absolute sweetheart, he wants to be out with us as much as we will have him, as soon as I open the terrarium he is practically throwing himself at me lol. And he LOVES fruit....strawberries are his fav ;-)

This is no knock on you or anyone else. I just wouldn't buy a chameleon from a big chain store. It's known they provide poor care. You can't save everything even if you want to. You buy the chameleon to save it and they put another on the shelf.. I'd rather pay a little more and go through a reputable breeder than support the big chain stores. there is even members on this forum selling Panthers for 150-200 most of the time... and you almost guarantee a higher quality chameleon.

My opinion

This is no knock on you or anyone else. I just wouldn't buy a chameleon from a big chain store. It's known they provide poor care. You can't save everything even if you want to. You buy the chameleon to save it and they put another on the shelf.. I'd rather pay a little more and go through a reputable breeder than support the big chain stores. there is even members on this forum selling Panthers for 150-200 most of the time... and you almost guarantee a higher quality chameleon.

My opinion

I hear what your saying about the big chains. Thr being said, I've yet to see 150.00 on here.

Keep an eye out in the chameleons for sale section. A lot of the time someone will post one and price keeps dropping if they aren't selling as fast as they need them gone.. I've seen some as low as 125 though I believe that was before shipping.. still.. I'd take that deal any day over petco haha

I hear what your saying about the big chains. Thr being said, I've yet to see 150.00 on here.

I understand that the actual price is an important factor for folks, but where and how the animal was produced matters too. Supporting ethical breeders who put time and care into healthy captive populations rather than careless big box stores who may import matters. And, the more the ethical segments of our hobby shine, the less ammunition exists for AR activists who want to ban herp ownership for everyone.

I understand that the actual price is an important factor for folks, but where and how the animal was produced matters too. Supporting ethical breeders who put time and care into healthy captive populations rather than careless big box stores who may import matters. And, the more the ethical segments of our hobby shine, the less ammunition exists for AR activists who want to ban herp ownership for everyone.

I understand where your coming from. My $ situation, when it came to Panther or Veiled, leaned towards Veiled. Seeing Panthers for 150.00 was a shock to me. And in all honesty, I wanted to buy one, but the responsible adult in me said NO lol

Back
Top Bottom