Differences between baby and juvenile care?

cwarfield

So I am looking to purchase a panther chameleon from a website. I have the option of choosing a "captive bred hatchling," and a "captive bred juvenile." The juvenile's are over $100 more expensive. I assume this is because raising a hatchling is much more difficult than caring for a juvenile. But what makes the hatchlings so tricky to raise?

They are just so fragile. If you don’t have all your ducks in a row before they hatch you will have die offs on your hands. Hatchlings require a very specific set of variables to survive, they aren’t strong enough to cope with any deviations from that. Say you have a juvenile Cham and for whatever reason he is exposed to excessive heat for a period of time, because he is older and stronger he can escape easier or just deal with it longer than a baby can. Like humans, Hatchlings can also suffer from SIDS(Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). You can do everything by the book, flawless care, and sometimes they just won’t make it. Usually due to genetics, that’s why constantly introducing new genes to the CB community from WC chams is so important.

When it comes down to it, it’s all about toughness and the skills of the breeder that separate the successful breeders from the rest of the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom