Diego Suarez Locale Anyone?

PardalisGirl

Avid Member
I haven't posted for quite some time. I got immersed in working with my horses and my husband has been in very poor health for several years. I used to work a lot with WC imported panther chameleons. I still have some chameleons including a Diego Suarez female that I hatched out 1 1/2 years ago. Does anyone here still keep this locale? I got a WC pair a couple of years ago. The female was not in good shape and she was gravid. She died shortly after laying her eggs. Most of the eggs were obviously bad when laid. I only got 2 eggs to hatch. One was this girl and the other was a female that never grew larger than twice the hatchling size. She just finally died last week. I was amazed she made it that long. I kept trying to find another female for the male and never found one. He died earlier this year. I have looked on and off for another male CB or WC with no success. Is this a locale that has just fallen off the collector's/breeder's map of interest? There were never a lot of this locale available to begin with. Thanks for any input you have.

Attachments

• 20151010_060414.jpg
    20151010_060414.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 145
Haven't seen any Diego Suarez in a long time, and haven't heard of any for sale.
They would pop up with some regularity in the 90s, but not many people bred them even back then. The ambilobe craze has wiped out a number of the older locales being imported.
There are still some sambavas around though.

I could have sworn I saw someone recently showing off a Diego Suarez. I'm gonna have to search through the forums.

Thanks for reply :)

Thank you both for your replies. The post from the guy in the UK is actually from 2010. It got bumped more recently by someone with a question. In 2010 I had multiple WC Diego Suarez chams and hatched out several clutches. I wish I had kept some of the offspring! The varieties offered seemed to have changed over the last few years. Now my question is whether I should just let this female live out her life as a virgin or breed her to something like a Sambava. I see looking at threads on cross breeding that this is still a topic people have strong opinions on one way or another. I never did it when I had dozens of WC adults. I've always wondered how "pure" what is in people's various collections is anyway. I know for sure many WC female imports got mixed up unintentionally or intentionally (to fill quotas). Thanks again for your help.

Thank you both for your replies. The post from the guy in the UK is actually from 2010. It got bumped more recently by someone with a question. In 2010 I had multiple WC Diego Suarez chams and hatched out several clutches. I wish I had kept some of the offspring! The varieties offered seemed to have changed over the last few years. Now my question is whether I should just let this female live out her life as a virgin or breed her to something like a Sambava. I see looking at threads on cross breeding that this is still a topic people have strong opinions on one way or another. I never did it when I had dozens of WC adults. I've always wondered how "pure" what is in people's various collections is anyway. I know for sure many WC female imports got mixed up unintentionally or intentionally (to fill quotas). Thanks again for your help.

If it is for you personally and something you want, go ahead. Keep maybe 5 or so of the best eggs and destroy the other eggs. 6-7 months later , you will have new baby. Finding someone who may want 3 or so crosses would be a lot easier than 25-30 crosses. Personally, I have 2 Faly x BB cross, and I love both of them. At 4 months their colors are amazing. I can not wait. You are in the same boat as me. Forever, I have wanted an Ankaramy, especially a female. I understand 100%.

I think I just got lucky :)

Last night I contacted someone about some unrelated imports they have coming in today. After much discussion this person has added Diego Suarez to his next import order in a month or so. His exporter said they would be available. I'm very excited :)

Last night I contacted someone about some unrelated imports they have coming in today. After much discussion this person has added Diego Suarez to his next import order in a month or so. His exporter said they would be available. I'm very excited :)

That's great news Catherine!

Welcome back to the forums. I have missed seeing you here.

I'm such a tard. I saw this post and thought "Diego Suarez is a really cute name for a chameleon!"

Sorry your WC gal didn't make it but her daughter is very pretty. Almost a shame not to try to keep the locale going, but at the same time with the difficulty of finding new bloodlines and the hoard of crosses already available, you might wait to see if if the DS brought in by the importer will make it worth your time.

I will definitely wait!

I will definitely wait now. I want to get a couple of males and more females. LOL on thinking the locale was the girl's name. The male I got at the time I got the gravid female was named Diego :)

Back
Top Bottom