Did my senegal lay eggs?

ttaylor

I was cleaning the cage, the first major once since getting the cham in feb. I was cleaning the moss and dead leaves out of the pothos (also where the cham was doing the business for awhile). It deffintely needed cleaning. As I was picking stuff out and throwing it away, I pulled out a few things that seemed like soil pellets or something and tossed them... but they seemed strange. At first I thought 'bug eggs' or something.. but then I wondered if they are from teh chameleon?! I sorta tried to squish one out of inital curiosity, and it didn't easily..

Do they need a male to fertilize the eggs otherwise they won't hatch, or are these viable (she had bred before I got her?) Assuming I'm not jsut freaking out of some soil pellets.
:eek: :confused:

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0567-1.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

I could be wrong, but they look like the fertilizers that come in potted plants. Pearlite I think it may be called. I could be wrong though. However if they are fertilizer, you should definitely was/repot the plant in organic soil, so your cham doesn't eat anything that may make it sick.

I could be wrong, but they look like the fertilizers that come in potted plants. Pearlite I think it may be called. I could be wrong though. However if they are fertilizer, you should definitely was/repot the plant in organic soil, so your cham doesn't eat anything that may make it sick.

Agreed! When I Re-pot plants from anywhere I actually loosen the soil and rid the majority of any of its soil or pellets (which is a fertilizer). maybe take it out re wash and get the most possible out of any of its remaining pellets, and soil with out damaging the roots (easier said then done I know)

whatever they turn out to be, I would get rid of the moss and soil, repot with new potting soil that does not contain fertilizer and cover that with large river rocks.

definitely seem like eggs!

Well, it's been a little over a month and I am cleaning the cage again. I'm pulling these thing out, but they are definitely not part of the soil. There is nothing in the soil, just dirt.

They are very small for what I would figure, and of varying sizes, but they definitely are eggs of some kind. If they are the chameleons, maybe they never developed fully and properly. In the name of science, I tried to squish another one, and they are tough and 'rubbery'. They squish but don't want to break. It took my nail to open the one that I did, and it had yellow-orange goo in it.

IMG_0734.jpg

They don't really compare to these eggs I found in another thread, though.

eggcomparison.jpg

?

Hi! Your post from back in 2011 about the gray pellet type things in your cage, did you ever find out what they were? Because I just found the same exact things in my chameleons cag and have no clue to what they are. Message back! :)

Hi!

Sorry, I just saw this. I don't think they were anything special, just from the potting soil. I was overly excited to think they were chameleon eggs. I later realized my cham was a male!

Back
Top Bottom