Did I miss his first shed? :(

Mr Minty

Hi! I got minty on March 28th, I think he is 2-3 months and I think I might have missed his first shed since I got him :(. He was acting very weird on Monday, he’s used to his routine of me putting my hand in his enclosure to put the feeding cup with crickets, but this Monday he was cranky and as soon as I was hanging the feeding cup in a branch he started hissing at me and opening his mouth. Also he looked like a balloon on Monday, he was inflating and deinflating and I was a bit worried but after some research I read that it was normal behavior for a shedding chameleon.I thought I’d see some shed on his skin or something but today when I was turning off his lights I realized he was different and he has some vertical bars now. Does this mean I missed his first shed at home? 😭 I’m attaching 2 pics, one from the first day I got him and the second one I took a couple minutes ago

Attachments

• C9195E30-1F7F-4F0F-A5F3-2397E8C78C7B.jpeg
    C9195E30-1F7F-4F0F-A5F3-2397E8C78C7B.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 90
  • E1BD38C2-CB2E-434F-9E24-C3BC1E2BA5B3.jpeg
    E1BD38C2-CB2E-434F-9E24-C3BC1E2BA5B3.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 95
Agreed, you have a very pretty girl! But not entirely sure if that behavior would happen just because a shed.
Normally you get that behavior going in the cage. That's just how some are. Prepare for it to be different each encounter.

Please post some pics of the back feet from the side so we can confirm gender for you.

You will want to get the correct UVB lighting for the cham as well. All I am seeing on top of your cage is the compact UVB bulb which does not put out the levels of UVB at the distances you need. You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb for it. This set on the top screen with branches 8-9 inches below it for the correct UVI level. Without the correct UVB exposure your cham will develop MBD.

Please post some pics of the back feet from the side so we can confirm gender for you.

You will want to get the correct UVB lighting for the cham as well. All I am seeing on top of your cage is the compact UVB bulb which does not put out the levels of UVB at the distances you need. You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb for it. This set on the top screen with branches 8-9 inches below it for the correct UVI level. Without the correct UVB exposure your cham will develop MBD.
Thank you! I will take some pics as soon as I get home :) and the first picture was from 2 weeks ago when I was using the lamp from the chameleon kit, which I changed the day after when the new bulb arrived! I will still post some pictures so I can receive some feedback on changes I can make for the enclosure!

Here are some pictures of the enclosure and also these are some pictures I could take of the back feet, I was trying to take Minty out to get some better pictures but I didn’t want to stress Minty out. Are these pics good enough? Also let me know what do you think of the enclosure! I’m saving to buy a much bigger enclosure in May and I’ll make it bioactive!

Attachments

• C2AE4785-0865-4567-9B88-0ABF43445FD8.jpeg
    C2AE4785-0865-4567-9B88-0ABF43445FD8.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 0F60A361-A081-4CA0-9506-F725B92E798E.jpeg
    0F60A361-A081-4CA0-9506-F725B92E798E.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 76
  • E2745B74-E36D-4695-88E8-791A84BC7EFB.jpeg
    E2745B74-E36D-4695-88E8-791A84BC7EFB.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 231B7791-CBBE-4470-9CFF-0BDFBEE670FD.jpeg
    231B7791-CBBE-4470-9CFF-0BDFBEE670FD.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 999F9BA2-792C-429F-91BB-00F6A14E887A.jpeg
    999F9BA2-792C-429F-91BB-00F6A14E887A.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DBC8C674-F72B-4C52-8725-B2745C4FFF27.jpeg
    DBC8C674-F72B-4C52-8725-B2745C4FFF27.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 4855A61E-DDB1-449B-9B75-E7B97F09AAFE.jpeg
    4855A61E-DDB1-449B-9B75-E7B97F09AAFE.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 83
A few things…

You definitely have a girl there. Once she is old enough, you will have to install a lay bin as they will lay infertile eggs whether mated or not once mature.

The enclosure shown isn’t big enough for a fully grown cham, when you can afford it a 24”x24”x48” reptibreeze is generally the minimum size for a veiled chameleon. Great that you’re going bioactive.

In the meantime I would remove the hammock you have in there, they are not designed for chameleons and your girl could get a claw caught in the rope. Also I would add more plant cover. I’d recommend golden pothos as it is a fast growing and commonly available vine.

A few things…

You definitely have a girl there. Once she is old enough, you will have to install a lay bin as they will lay infertile eggs whether mated or not once mature.

The enclosure shown isn’t big enough for a fully grown cham, when you can afford it a 24”x24”x48” reptibreeze is generally the minimum size for a veiled chameleon. Great that you’re going bioactive.

In the meantime I would remove the hammock you have in there, they are not designed for chameleons and your girl could get a claw caught in the rope. Also I would add more plant cover. I’d recommend golden pothos as it is a fast growing and commonly available vine.
Thank you! I’m getting a bigger enclosure in may, I’ll remove the hammock asap and I’ll add more plant cover :) appreciate your help! Also when should I install the lay bin?

Here are some pictures of the enclosure and also these are some pictures I could take of the back feet, I was trying to take Minty out to get some better pictures but I didn’t want to stress Minty out. Are these pics good enough? Also let me know what do you think of the enclosure! I’m saving to buy a much bigger enclosure in May and I’ll make it bioactive!
You very much have a little female. You will need to have different husbandry then if it were a male. Consider doing a husbandry review as well. If you want to then we can give you the form for that.
@MissSkittles can give you detailed info on female care.

Double checking what uvb lighting you are using will be important. What fixture type and bulb strength is it?

Please start reading through everything at this link. It will help you learn the correct husbandry. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You very much have a little female. You will need to have different husbandry then if it were a male. Consider doing a husbandry review as well. If you want to then we can give you the form for that.
@MissSkittles can give you detailed info on female care.

Double checking what uvb lighting you are using will be important. What fixture type and bulb strength is it?

Please start reading through everything at this link. It will help you learn the correct husbandry. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
I would love help with a husbandry review! And I’d appreciate some detailed info on female care :)
I attached the bulb I’m currently using!
Also thank you I’ll start reading it!

Attachments

• 10BDBB58-C953-4FAB-B03D-48D62054A4D8.jpeg
    10BDBB58-C953-4FAB-B03D-48D62054A4D8.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 77
I would love help with a husbandry review! And I’d appreciate some detailed info on female care :)
I attached the bulb I’m currently using!
Also thank you I’ll start reading it!
Perfect so with that fixture you want a measured distance of 8-9 inches to her branches below it. This will put her in the perfect UVI level.

Here is the husbandry form. Just copy and paste it into your reply then be as detailed as possible in your responses and add pics to it. Then we will do the review for you. I will probably try to talk @MissSkittles into doing it since she has hands on experience with female Veileds and will need to give you some specifics anyways. :) You have a gorgeous little girl by the way.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Perfect so with that fixture you want a measured distance of 8-9 inches to her branches below it. This will put her in the perfect UVI level.

Here is the husbandry form. Just copy and paste it into your reply then be as detailed as possible in your responses and add pics to it. Then we will do the review for you. I will probably try to talk @MissSkittles into doing it since she has hands on experience with female Veileds and will need to give you some specifics anyways. :) You have a gorgeous little girl by the way.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Thank you! I’ll start filling it right now :) and yes she is! She is beautiful and I will do my best to give her the best life! I thought she was a male because of the cask size, it looked pretty big and gorgeous! But im glad I got help before having to deal with some serious health issues

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Piebald Veiled Chameleon, Female, approximately 2-3 months but I’m not completely sure because the store didn’t tell me, she’s been in my care for 19 days.
  • Handling - I rarely handle her, I started interacting with her a few days ago because in one of neptunes videos she mentioned that I shouldn’t handle a new chameleon for about 2 weeks. So I just I’d say I’ll handle her when is needed. For example, last week around sleep time, when the lights were off, she was upside down in the top of her enclosure so I slowly reached to her and put her back close to the spot where she usually sleeps.
  • Feeding - I’m feeding small crickets, I tried worms but she wasn’t eating them so in a previous thread I was told that she might be too young for worms and roaches. I feed her 15-20 crickets per day. I put around 8 crickets in her feeding cup before I leave for work (7am), then when I get home (4pm) I add some more crickets until she stops eating, she reaches 20 crickets, or she has been ignoring the crickets for 15 minutes. She consistently eats at least 16-17 crickets a day. I’m gut-loading the crickets with green mustards, carrots, and apples, sometimes I add mangoes.
  • Supplements - I’m using repti calcium without D3 and reptivite by zoo med, and Rep-Cal is the brand of the calcium with D3. Calcium with D3 and calcium without D3 are both phosphorus free. I dust my feeders with calcium with D3 two times a month, the first and the 14th of every month, I dust them with Vitamins 2 times a month as well, the second and the 15th. Every other day I dust my feeders with calcium without D3.
  • Watering - I use a hand Mister, but I will get an automatic mister soon. I water 2 times a day, sometimes 3 if the humidity is getting too low. And I mist for 3 minutes or 3 minutes and a half. Yes, I’ve seen her drinking water around 3 times.
  • Fecal Description - It looks very normal, it is solid and dark brown/black color with white urates and some little yellow spots, but urates are mostly white. She poops once a day, there’s been a few times when she doesn’t poop one day, but the day after she poops as usual. I will attach a picture at the end. Also I have not tested her for parasites but I’m planning a vet visit in June to check if everything is fine.
  • History - I bought her at Petco on March 28th. She was the biggest chameleon they had and the employee said that Minty has been there for a while, the other chameleons looked like babies ( around 1 month) so I decided to get Minty since she was the biggest one and probably old enough for me to take good care of her.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage. 16x16x30 but I’m upgrading to a bigger one next month. It will be at least 24x24x48 but I will try to get one a little bit bigger than 24x24x48.
  • Lighting - For UVB lighting I’m using a Zoo med 14” T5HO terrarium hood light fixture and a 5.0 UVB bulb and for basking I’m using zoo med daylight blue reptile bulb-60 watt and I’m using a zoo med mini combo tropical deep dome lamp fixture (which was included in the chameleon kit I bought) and I’m only using this fixture for the basking bulb. I turn on the lights at 6:50am and turn them off at 7pm from Monday to Friday. On weekends I turn them on 7am or 7:15am and I turn them off at 7pm.
  • Temperature - The basking spot temperature changes but my thermometer records the lowest and highest temps, so the basking temp is at least 85 and goes up to 91-92. Cage floor temp is 75-78, mid section of the cage is around 80. Lowest overnight temp goes from 76 to 79. I measure temp with a thermometer and hygrometer that will let me know if the temperature goes below 65 or if the humidity goes below 20.
  • Humidity - Humidity during the day is always around 30 and sometimes it goes up to 40 (No misting) and after a good mist humidity raises to 50 for a couple minutes. I mist for 3 minutes and if humidity is getting too low I mist more if needed. I also use a dripper for an hour or two hours daily, just in case Minty wants some water while I’m at the gym. I use a hygrometer to measure humidity and the hygrometer will let me know if humidity goes below 20%. Humidity during night is usually around 40%
  • Plants - Yes, I’m not using any fake plants. I’m using ficus elastica, money tree, and soon I’m adding a golden pothos
  • Placement - The cage is in the corner of my room, on top of my desk. I have a ceiling fan in the center of my room. No air vents near. No high traffic area, I barely spend time in my room. The top of the cage is at 6’1 feet and the highest branch/vine where she can climb is 6’0 feet.
  • Location - Maryland
Current Problem - I don’t have any problem so far, I just want my husbandry review checked because I thought Minty was a male but she’s a female so I want to know if I need some changes! Everything is going amazing and I’m wishing my husbandry review is good!

Please Note:
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Attachments

• ED6ED4B6-6607-4F82-BAD9-A7DD1EFB0D46.jpeg
    ED6ED4B6-6607-4F82-BAD9-A7DD1EFB0D46.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 75
  • F7964DD0-B9BC-4429-BC29-950D78DD2848.jpeg
    F7964DD0-B9BC-4429-BC29-950D78DD2848.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 923ED7CA-7D56-4D66-BC89-DAFB68568C0D.jpeg
    923ED7CA-7D56-4D66-BC89-DAFB68568C0D.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 84DB59D2-1A51-4B87-B5EA-30E749FC88CB.jpeg
    84DB59D2-1A51-4B87-B5EA-30E749FC88CB.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 121C2C2E-3D78-452E-A737-756434C882B1.jpeg
    121C2C2E-3D78-452E-A737-756434C882B1.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 113C93A0-54B4-4E73-8E5B-7DC4A3D0E02B.jpeg
    113C93A0-54B4-4E73-8E5B-7DC4A3D0E02B.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 79
Feedback will be in bold:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Piebald Veiled Chameleon, Female, approximately 2-3 months but I’m not completely sure because the store didn’t tell me, she’s been in my care for 19 days.
  • Handling - I rarely handle her, I started interacting with her a few days ago because in one of neptunes videos she mentioned that I shouldn’t handle a new chameleon for about 2 weeks. So I just I’d say I’ll handle her when is needed. For example, last week around sleep time, when the lights were off, she was upside down in the top of her enclosure so I slowly reached to her and put her back close to the spot where she usually sleeps.
I would avoid handling her if you don’t need to.
  • Feeding - I’m feeding small crickets, I tried worms but she wasn’t eating them so in a previous thread I was told that she might be too young for worms and roaches. I feed her 15-20 crickets per day. I put around 8 crickets in her feeding cup before I leave for work (7am), then when I get home (4pm) I add some more crickets until she stops eating, she reaches 20 crickets, or she has been ignoring the crickets for 15 minutes. She consistently eats at least 16-17 crickets a day. I’m gut-loading the crickets with green mustards, carrots, and apples, sometimes I add mangoes.
What kind of worms did you try feeding?
Do you gutload the crickets before feeding?

Short-term, variety isn’t a really big deal, but you’ll want to have as much variety in feeder insects as you can get.

• Supplements - I’m using repti calcium without D3 and reptivite by zoo med, and Rep-Cal is the brand of the calcium with D3. Calcium with D3 and calcium without D3 are both phosphorus free. I dust my feeders with calcium with D3 two times a month, the first and the 14th of every month, I dust them with Vitamins 2 times a month as well, the second and the 15th. Every other day I dust my feeders with calcium without D3.
I’ll have to check the vitamins and d3.
Calcium should be used at every feeding.

• Watering - I use a hand Mister, but I will get an automatic mister soon. I water 2 times a day, sometimes 3 if the humidity is getting too low. And I mist for 3 minutes or 3 minutes and a half. Yes, I’ve seen her drinking water around 3 times.
This looks good, automatic misters are lifesavers. I would recommend the MistKing brand.
  • Fecal Description - It looks very normal, it is solid and dark brown/black color with white urates and some little yellow spots, but urates are mostly white. She poops once a day, there’s been a few times when she doesn’t poop one day, but the day after she poops as usual. I will attach a picture at the end. Also I have not tested her for parasites but I’m planning a vet visit in June to check if everything is fine.
Perfect!
  • History - I bought her at Petco on March 28th. She was the biggest chameleon they had and the employee said that Minty has been there for a while, the other chameleons looked like babies ( around 1 month) so I decided to get Minty since she was the biggest one and probably old enough for me to take good care of her.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage. 16x16x30 but I’m upgrading to a bigger one next month. It will be at least 24x24x48 but I will try to get one a little bit bigger than 24x24x48.
Great! Reptibreeze and dragon strand are the two best brands for cham cages.
  • Lighting - For UVB lighting I’m using a Zoo med 14” T5HO terrarium hood light fixture and a 5.0 UVB bulb and for basking I’m using zoo med daylight blue reptile bulb-60 watt and I’m using a zoo med mini combo tropical deep dome lamp fixture (which was included in the chameleon kit I bought) and I’m only using this fixture for the basking bulb. I turn on the lights at 6:50am and turn them off at 7pm from Monday to Friday. On weekends I turn them on 7am or 7:15am and I turn them off at 7pm.
Coloured basking bulbs can be harmful to chameleons’ eyes, regular incandescent household bulbs work great. You can get timers from hardware stores to automate the lights.
  • Temperature - The basking spot temperature changes but my thermometer records the lowest and highest temps, so the basking temp is at least 85 and goes up to 91-92. Cage floor temp is 75-78, mid section of the cage is around 80. Lowest overnight temp goes from 76 to 79. I measure temp with a thermometer and hygrometer that will let me know if the temperature goes below 65 or if the humidity goes below 20.
Temps are a bit high, 81-83 degrees for basking is ideal.
  • Humidity - Humidity during the day is always around 30 and sometimes it goes up to 40 (No misting) and after a good mist humidity raises to 50 for a couple minutes. I mist for 3 minutes and if humidity is getting too low I mist more if needed. I also use a dripper for an hour or two hours daily, just in case Minty wants some water while I’m at the gym. I use a hygrometer to measure humidity and the hygrometer will let me know if humidity goes below 20%. Humidity during night is usually around 40%
Daytime humidity is perfect, but during the night you want humidity to get as high as possible, around 80-100%. Getting an automatic misting system will help, as well as adding mor plants.
  • Plants - Yes, I’m not using any fake plants. I’m using ficus elastica, money tree, and soon I’m adding a golden pothos
Perfect! The more plants the better.
  • Placement - The cage is in the corner of my room, on top of my desk. I have a ceiling fan in the center of my room. No air vents near. No high traffic area, I barely spend time in my room. The top of the cage is at 6’1 feet and the highest branch/vine where she can climb is 6’0 feet.
  • Location - Maryland
Current Problem - I don’t have any problem so far, I just want my husbandry review checked because I thought Minty was a male but she’s a female so I want to know if I need some changes! Everything is going amazing and I’m wishing my husbandry review is good!

Looks pretty good for now, I’ll just need a bit to grab a couple useful graphics.

Feedback will be in bold:
Chameleon Info:
I would avoid handling her if you don’t need to.
What kind of worms did you try feeding?
Do you gutload the crickets before feeding?

Short-term, variety isn’t a really big deal, but you’ll want to have as much variety in feeder insects as you can get.

I’ll have to check the vitamins and d3.
Calcium should be used at every feeding.

This looks good, automatic misters are lifesavers. I would recommend the MistKing brand.
Perfect!
Cage Info:
Great! Reptibreeze and dragon strand are the two best brands for cham cages.
Coloured basking bulbs can be harmful to chameleons’ eyes, regular incandescent household bulbs work great. You can get timers from hardware stores to automate the lights.
Temps are a bit high, 81-83 degrees for basking is ideal.
Daytime humidity is perfect, but during the night you want humidity to get as high as possible, around 80-100%. Getting an automatic misting system will help, as well as adding mor plants.
Perfect! The more plants the better.
  • Location - Maryland

Looks pretty good for now, I’ll just need a bit to grab a couple useful graphics.

I will avoid handling her, got its.
I tried superworms but she refused to eat them. And yes, I gut-load them with green mustards, apples, carrots and sometimes I add mango. So do you think I should start offering different feeders now or should I wait a bit more??
Just checked MistKing brand and they look very good! I will definitely get one of those :)
I was thinking on getting timers for the lights but I’ll prioritize some stuff like the automatic mister!
I will change the bulb, do you think a 50 watt bulb would work to get to 81-84?
Also what can I do to raise humidity during the night? Should I hand mist for some short periods of time until I go to sleep?

Back
Top Bottom