Diarrhea

ItsMike64

Established Member
Hi all!

My male Balerion has been having some diarrhea the past few weeks. Back in October I had a fecal done and it was negative for any parasites. He had a nice solid poop last week but just yesterday he had a runny diarrhea mess (which followed a nice urate and solid poop). I recently fed him some silkworms, which I didn’t think would have been the case. His basking spot is 83° F and humidity levels are 50% during the day and 70 to 80% during the evening/at night. They are in need of UVB replacing which I already ordered and will be here on Friday. Could low UVB be the cause? Any other thoughts?

Pics of him & enclosure attached.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_9695.jpeg
    IMG_9695.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9694.jpeg
    IMG_9694.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9667.jpeg
    IMG_9667.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9469.jpeg
    IMG_9469.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 28
My guess is diet or parasites. How much and how often are you feeding the silks/horn worms?
Parasites test was negative though?

Never hornworms. Silkworms 2 every other day with 2-3 crickets. The past few weeks though it’s just been 5-6 crickets every other day.

Never hornworms. Silkworms 2 every other day with 2-3 crickets. The past few weeks though it’s just been 5-6 crickets every other day.
I’ve heard of it taking an extra test or two before the parasites show up. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to drop off another sample of your vet is close?

This should not cause overly runny poops by any means. Thats a perfectly acceptable number of silks. Depending on your chams age and activity you may need to cut back on total feeders at some point to avoid over feeding, but not if still growing.

Agreed with above. That’s not such an amount to cause a runny poop. And parasites don’t always shed their eggs. I personally test mine 3x consistently before I declare them parasite free.

I mean if you gave all silkworms for 1 or 2 feedings then yes you can get runny fecal. But if your mixing them in with harder bodied feeders then it should not cause runny fecal.

He finally made a BM. Here’s a pic for ya. Urate looks good bud poops are runny

Attachments

• IMG_9712.jpeg
    IMG_9712.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9713.jpeg
    IMG_9713.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 30
Yeah, it’s absolutely disgusting and it smells horrid too. I just got him in for this Thursday but I doubt this current “batch” won’t be viable then. Anything I can do to encourage him to go between now and his appointment? If I give him a bunch of crickets and silkworms today, will he likely make a BM tomorrow or within the next few days?

Yeah, it’s absolutely disgusting and it smells horrid too. I just got him in for this Thursday but I doubt this current “batch” won’t be viable then. Anything I can do to encourage him to go between now and his appointment? If I give him a bunch of crickets and silkworms today, will he likely make a BM tomorrow or within the next few days?
Its hard to say. Our beloved chameleons never seem to poop when we need it. Is your vet open to you dropping off the sample now since you have it fresh and you have an appointment set up?

Its hard to say. Our beloved chameleons never seem to poop when we need it. Is your vet open to you dropping off the sample now since you have it fresh and you have an appointment set up?
Like a fool I already cleaned it up. They said that I could drop one off the next time he goes. Should I feed him and see if he goes? Today would normally not be a feeding day for him

When I need a poop sample, I feed everyday and a little more than normal until I get a sample. Most Vet's allow a fecal drop off anytime.

I would try to get him to go.... IF it means feeding then do so. That is not a normal fecal so you need to get one tested.

Back
Top Bottom