Dexter Tackles 3.5 Inch Hornworm

giesle

Avid Member
The full size hormworms always seem too big, but when hand feeding a couple inches away, I've never had a problem. I have a bunch of big ones sitting in the wine cooler, so my chams have good eats for another week or so.

3.5%20Inch%20Hornworm%20Feeds%20Chameleon.jpg

Awesome shot! Is Dexter your Cham that turned the light color back in the winter? If so he's looking good now!

Awesome shot! Is Dexter your Cham that turned the light color back in the winter? If so he's looking good now!

Thanks. Yep, he was white when excited and very dark with hardly any color when cool. He got most of his colors back after his shed a couple of months ago and looks better than ever after his shed this past weekend.

OMG!
That's an amazing picture
Haven't seen a hormworm in my life!
I need to get some for my cham

Hey Giesle,
That is 1big fat hornworm ,Dexter has a mouthful ! My guys won't take them that big. I look forward to all your pics. Thanks for sharing your amazing shots.
Dave

Thanks again. Here are a couple pics taken within the last couple of weeks with the same batch of worms and using the same setup and background. I hate using hornworms any bigger than these for long tongue shots. They tend to grab really well onto whatever they are on, so I'm afraid my cham might strain his tongue. If he doesn't go right after it, I will usually pick up the worm and set it back down every once in awhile so it isn't set in solid with a really good grip.

Chameleon%20Eating%20Worm.jpg

Chameleon%20Eating%20Hornworm%20o.jpg

Those pictures are absolutely amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! I have a 4 month old ambilobe and was curious how big do you all let the cham get before starting them on these? I just worry since they are so big (and can bite) and Merlin is so small still! Thanks for the pictures and advice!

Those pictures are absolutely amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! I have a 4 month old ambilobe and was curious how big do you all let the cham get before starting them on these? I just worry since they are so big (and can bite) and Merlin is so small still! Thanks for the pictures and advice!
Thanks. I've only had adults, so can't say. They're so soft and squishy, I think generally you can feed them worms that might look too big. You could obviously feed him the young small hornworms, but they do grow extremely quick. I keep mine at around 55 degrees in a wine cooler and that helps a lot to slow their growing down. I've never heard of them biting.

Thanks. I've only had adults, so can't say. They're so soft and squishy, I think generally you can feed them worms that might look too big. You could obviously feed him the young small hornworms, but they do grow extremely quick. I keep mine at around 55 degrees in a wine cooler and that helps a lot to slow their growing down. I've never heard of them biting.

Oh ok, I thought I read on here that someone had a bearded dragon get bit. Thanks for the information, I may try to get some small ones and chill them.

Back
Top Bottom