Desensitizing Chameleons

BoopsPerson

Is this recommended or do you guys feel it's too stressful?

What do I specifically mean by desensitizing...well, this can mean several things actually.

Handling

Holding the chameleon several times a day for short periods, done on a schedule. Usually rewarded with a treat.

Food

Introducing the chameleon to new foods even if they seem to hate them, persistence. Possible to get a little fruit or veggie juice on one of their favorite insects so they get a taste prior to upgrading to the actual food.

Objects

Introducing them to new objects. This can be when they're being held/allowed to explore outside their cage or re-arranging their cage set up on a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly basis so that they're always being challenged to something new.

I found desensitizing relieves a lot of boredom. But can reptiles be bored, or do you think they're most content to just perch on a branch and bask all day?

Thoughts and opinions?

I bought my panther at 3-4 months. Like all new young chams, he was terrified, so I left him alone for a couple of weeks to adapt to his new environment. After that, I pretty much handled him every day for a few minutes. Every cham is different, but the key is patience. You want to let him climb onto your hand and never grab or approach him aggressively. I started feeding him his favorite treats by hand and taking him outside for some natural sun exposure. He is 10 months and now views me as the guy who offers treats and sun time :D Look me up on instagram: chamde86. I have a video of him crawling to the front of the cage after seeing me. He hangs out in his cage most of the time, but will do this once or twice daily.

Is this recommended or do you guys feel it's too stressful?

What do I specifically mean by desensitizing...well, this can mean several things actually.

Handling

Holding the chameleon several times a day for short periods, done on a schedule. Usually rewarded with a treat.

Probably not going to be as effective as leaving the cham in its territory and offering a treat when YOU invade his space. When you are holding him he's pretty preoccupied and not likely going to take a treat from you. I don't know if a cham can or will consider the treat a reward for being held after the fact.

Food

Introducing the chameleon to new foods even if they seem to hate them, persistence. Possible to get a little fruit or veggie juice on one of their favorite insects so they get a taste prior to upgrading to the actual food.

You could try it, but be prepared for the cham to spit out something unfamiliar. But, their initial acceptance of food is visual. If they don't learn to recognize the fruit or veggie visually they may not connect the flavor with the item. Some of us introduce them to fruits by putting small pieces in the feeding bowl with their feeders and let the cham pick up a piece "accidentally", then decide its on the safe foods list. Also helps keep the feeders gutloaded too, so they may flavor themselves anyway.

Objects

Introducing them to new objects. This can be when they're being held/allowed to explore outside their cage or re-arranging their cage set up on a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly basis so that they're always being challenged to something new.

Constantly changing their personal territory will confuse and upset them. They don't want challenge, they want familiarity and stability. Stress is cumulative!

I found desensitizing relieves a lot of boredom. But can reptiles be bored, or do you think they're most content to just perch on a branch and bask all day?

Be careful. Chams are not creatures who want challenge, they want to defend themselves and their turf. They are prey animals on the watch for threats. Change is a threat. Settling in to their territory and knowing there are no predators or intruders present is a good feeling. These are not animals who seek out challenge or change. I'm not saying chams can't learn, but that what they DO learn will be different than for say a more social animal (that cares what we want or how to respond to us) like a dog.

I can understand the object one. However for handling, for the last week Boop has been hand held and fed that way, she eats pretty well. I probably got lucky but it could also be that she was only fed dead crickets in the shop and now I'm feeding her live wriggly things in my hand.

I'll probably keep her cage the same as much as possible then, even after cleaning.

And maybe try and sneak various fruits and veggies into the bug mix. (Mmm, worm salad...)

I guess it seems to be a mixed preference on the forums. Some handle, some don't.

I guess I'll see how it goes.

It's weird cause she's black spotted in the cage but when I take her out she's regular green. At the pet store she was regular green too.

I guess it seems to be a mixed preference on the forums. Some handle, some don't.

It's weird cause she's black spotted in the cage but when I take her out she's regular green. At the pet store she was regular green too.

It sounds as if there is something about her cage or her view of what's around it she is anxious about. Did you describe her setup before? Maybe we can figure it out.

You'll find a lot of folks who vary on how much you should handle a chameleon, and it also depends on the type of chameleon. Some are just naturally more docile than others.

I'm well aware chameleons aren't cuddly, super handleable animals like easier reptiles, I align myself with the school of thought that you might as well get your cham used to climbing on your hand to reduce stress for cage cleaning or having to take it to the vet.

I've been following the advice on this blog: http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/to-handle-or-not-to-handle.html

Currently, my panther is quite skittish and not hand ready, but I did just get him to hand feed a couple of times this week, so progress. The key thing is to take it slow, don't force your cham to do anything, and let it come to you on its terms. Nothing scarier to a cham then a big hand coming into its cage to harm it (in its mind, anyways). Even if you use the proper "go from below" technique, it'll still be traumatic for a cham that's not used to you.

Make your cham associate you with food and water, and it'll begin to feel less threatened by you.

I had the same thoughts - I want to be able to handle her so I can look her over, clean her cage more easily, and if she needs to go to a vet I don't want her freaking out.

I started by offering her live prey from my hand the first week, she ate quite well. Then I started getting her on my hand and she does come when she's hungry. So it seems to be working out.

Back
Top Bottom