Depressed....?

lanaya

For the last week or two my chameleon my Veiled hasn't really seemed very interested in food and has been pretty lazy. She has always had a pretty aggressive appetite, when she can hear the crickets get closer to her cage and me shaking the bag of crickets she would come to the front of the cage and sit in her bowl immediately. Lately she just sits in the exact same position and spot watching the crickets jump out of the bowl and crawl around her cage and if one crawls in front of her she might eat it.
Another weird thing she has been doing is crawling down to the bottom of her cage and just sitting there, for most of the day. I don't believe she is gravid because she has been a few times and I know the way she acts when she is looking to lay. I really don't know any other reason she would be sitting on the ground. The other thing she has been doing when she is lounging on the branches resting her head on the vines and hanging a leg off. I know when she sheds she acts kind of strangely sometimes but she isn't shedding.
She is about 4 years old or so now, maybe it's just old age? Maybe shes depressed? I don't really know... I dont really think she is sick but who knows! Anyone else encounter this?

pic of her being lazy, resting her head and letting her arm hang. Her left arm looks a little deformed in this pic but its just the lighting and the angle

Attachments

• 20160107_190305.jpg
    20160107_190305.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 20160107_190246.jpg
    20160107_190246.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 123
I cant say for sure what it is but im looking for clues... im wondering how many times she layed in that 4 years and when was the last time. Have you tried putting her lay box down there just in case?

I haven't, she has layed 3 times, always in the summer or when its warm out. When she is gravid she is always SUUUPER hungry and really restless which is the opposite of how she is acting. The thought has crossed my mind though so i took her out and looked at where her ovaries are and she doesn't seem very fat or full there so I kind of dismissed the idea. I'm definitely going to keep watching her size though just in case.

I haven't, she has layed 3 times, always in the summer or when its warm out. When she is gravid she is always SUUUPER hungry and really restless which is the opposite of how she is acting. The thought has crossed my mind though so i took her out and looked at where her ovaries are and she doesn't seem very fat or full there so I kind of dismissed the idea. I'm definitely going to keep watching her size though just in case.

yeah it does seem very low laying all together i wonder if she has female issues..i believe they lay 3-4 times a year..hopefully others chime in as to why she has only layed that many times in that time frame. I would fill out one of the help forms they have as it will ask some details so people can better get to the bottom of it. A there could be many variables..it could just happen in certian females.

I would control that left front leg of hers. It could be just the pictures but it looks a bit MBDish

Hi lanaya,have you try to bring her to the vet along with her fecal( within 1-2 hours),so the vet can get some test done along with Xray on your pretty cham:)

Last edited:
pic of her being lazy, resting her head and letting her arm hang. Her left arm looks a little deformed in this pic but its just the lighting and the angle

Her left arm and foot look swollen and I don't think that has anything to do with the lighting or the angle of the photo.

Back
Top Bottom