Dent in casque? Mbd? Help?

Giantspleen

So within the last two weeks (during his last shed) my male veiled has formed this sort of "notch" in his casque. I have a picture from the 25th of November I will add and one from today (December 8th). I have seen him get his head stuck on a vine a few times and he just forces his way through so I am wondering if that can do it? He also is currently in A pretty rapid growth spurt, maybe that can attribute to it?

I also noticed that during his last shed the dark scales on the front of his veil were peeling off and after the shed they were gone. He now has a white area where it used to be.

My supplement regement is calcium dusted crickets without d3 daily and calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin every 14 days. I will also add pictures of his enclosure. In a comment below. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Pictures and filling out the entire ask for help form (link in my signature below) will be a great help!

Here are pictures from today

Attachments

• 20181208_132313.jpg
    20181208_132313.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 20181208_132243.jpg
    20181208_132243.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 20181208_132217.jpg
    20181208_132217.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 20181208_095131.jpg
    20181208_095131.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 202
A bent casque is usually a sign of MBD but your boy doesn’t appear to have it. I think he’s just a bit “head strong.” Bad joke, I know! One of my males is the same way, he didn’t come with a reverse gear.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - male veiled. Have had him for about 5 months
  • Handling - rarely. He is a little feisty
  • Feeding - crickets. About 20 to 25 3\4 inch per day
  • Supplements - herpavite and calcium with d3 dusting at 14 day intervals. Daily calcium without d3
  • Watering - mistking set up to 3 5 minute mists every 4 hours with a 45 second mist in between
  • Fecal Description - healthy thick poo with white urates
  • History - a pet store cham that had been sitting there for too long and couldn't stand it anymore. I believe he was sub adult when I got him

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24x24x48 custom cage with screen front and top
  • Lighting - t8 uvb 5.0 with 75 watt basking bulb on a 12/12 cycle
  • Temperature - basking hovers around 89 to 92 at head level. Alban ambient in top layer around 78 to 80. Mid layer about 72 and high mid 60s at bottom
  • Humidity - 70 to 80 percent during midting and drops to around 40 percent
  • Plants - one live plant I can't remember the name but it was I the chameleon friendly list (dracecena??)
  • Placement - the cage is in its own small room with no traffic it is connected to a cabinet that is two feet tall. 6 foot tall total.
  • Location - Central Minnesota

A bent casque is usually a sign of MBD but your boy doesn’t appear to have it. I think he’s just a bit “head strong.” Bad joke, I know! One of my males is the same way, he didn’t come with a reverse gear.

It doesn't seem t be bent but more of a "dent" haha and that explains what he does perfectly "he doesn't have reverse" he gets his head stuck then forcefully pops out the other end eventually

Husbandry is great! The only thing I’d do is switch out the 5.0 uvb for a Zoo Med 10.0.

It doesn't seem t be bent but more of a "dent" haha and that explains what he does perfectly "he doesn't have reverse" he gets his head stuck then forcefully pops out the other end eventually
One time my male somehow got down off of his free range and made his way up the couch and into the window blinds. Thought nothing of it at first but a few mins later I saw him pushing his way through a section with fine strings. One got caught under a scale on his casque and pretty much sliced it off because he refused to back up. Your boys casque looks very similar.

Same with mine, not sure what causes it. I thought I may have had his branches too close to the lights, and he could have brushed his head against the hot screen, but again, not sure.
Everything’s fine though, no other issues :D

Attachments

• 7CB4B138-FFBA-456C-810A-E3FF67089C36.jpeg
    7CB4B138-FFBA-456C-810A-E3FF67089C36.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom