dehydration?

your chameleon looks fine to me. Sunken eyes are linked to dehydration but they can also simply mean that your cham is stressed. Sounds like your handling and moving your cham around a lot. As other suggested, research a supplementation schedule. Research symptoms of over and under supplementation of d3 and vitamin a. Try to get your hands on a phosphorus & d3 free calcium. A calcium with d3 & a multivitamin. I use reptivite, which contains pre formed vitamin a but many have success using a multivitamin called herptivite, which conatins beta carotine. Some multivitamins are formulated for monthly use others are meant to be used weekly. This should be taken into consideration when researching schedules. You may find that some people use multivitamins or products containing d3 more frequently than others. Effective schedules are all within the same ballpark in terms of what the animal is getting. Although they may seem very different, it just has to do with the content of the product. When you read about different schedules, pay attention to the names of the products. A good dry gutload is often overlooked. Dried oats, unsalted nuts, egg yolk powder. There are many options for giving your feeders some beef other than cat food.

Welcome to the forum!

Justin

your chameleon looks fine to me. Sunken eyes are linked to dehydration but they can also simply mean that your cham is stressed. Sounds like your handling and moving your cham around a lot. As other suggested, research a supplementation schedule. Research symptoms of over and under supplementation of d3 and vitamin a. Try to get your hands on a phosphorus & d3 free calcium. A calcium with d3 & a multivitamin. I use reptivite, which contains pre formed vitamin a but many have success using a multivitamin called herptivite, which conatins beta carotine. Some multivitamins are formulated for monthly use others are meant to be used weekly. This should be taken into consideration when researching schedules. You may find that some people use multivitamins or products containing d3 more frequently than others. Effective schedules are all within the same ballpark in terms of what the animal is getting. Although they may seem very different, it just has to do with the content of the product. When you read about different schedules, pay attention to the names of the products. A good dry gutload is often overlooked. Dried oats, unsalted nuts, egg yolk powder. There are many options for giving your feeders some beef other than cat food.

Welcome to the forum!

Justin

yeah! no more cat food fo my feeders! i don't even have a cat anymore :( :( :(

thx for the advice on vitamins...most people here uses NEKTON MSA (only calcium and D3), reptivite is popular too as it contains more vitamines..

If he doesn't like showers then he doesn't like showers. I have had chameleons that loved them and some who hated them and acted just like your guy did.
From what i could tell he is certainly not severely dehydrated. Just try to up your misting, you can mist more often or longer each time. And trying to get your dripper to run as long as you can is also great. If I am worried about one of my chams being a bit dehydrated I inject a bit of water in every feeder they get. But when I do that, I feed the feeders to the cham as soon as I can after I inject the water as they don't live long.

We are happy to have you as a part of the forum and you have a very nice looking veiled.

thx laurie and you haven't seen the good pictures! :D
these were only to show how the eye looked like...I'll post some nice ones in the photo gallery later :)
anyways...my cham definitely doesn't like showers and I'm not sure it's worth the stress...I guess I'll stick to misting and dripping... I don't think I'll be able to inject water in the feeders (I already feel sorry for the poor little crickets! :) )... I'm happy many of you said he's not too dehydrated ...You saved us a 40 minutes trip to the vet !!! :)

O.T. I posted 2 nice pics! go check! :)

Nope, don't want him doing that, risk of impaction. Water him alot, and you need to cover that soil, either with some large rocks (not small enough to eat) or mesh of some kind, so that he can't get at it any more.

Nope, don't want him doing that, risk of impaction. Water him alot, and you need to cover that soil, either with some large rocks (not small enough to eat) or mesh of some kind, so that he can't get at it any more.

does it mean he needs more supplementation? or water? or what? anyway I'll cover the soil with rocks now :(

does it mean he needs more supplementation? or water? or what? anyway I'll cover the soil with rocks now :(

I dont know about the reasoning behind it, like if they're just doing it. Often when it happens it's accidental because they were shooting at a bug that was down in the plant. The other thing too is if you haven't replanted the plant in safe soil? Sometimes then they might be shooting at one of those white pearlite, vermiculite, whatever those things are called, or fertilizers in the soil, all those things are bad, so we are always told when dealing with new plants to re-pot in preferably organic soil, wash all the leaves with soap & water & rinse well (in case they were sprayed with pesticides) and to cover the exposed soil with rocks or mesh so they can't ingest any.

Oh and when I said water him alot, I didnt mean that's why he'd be eating soil, I just meant to try to help make it easier to pass the soil through.

yep! my plants are all safe and clean! I didn't know even clean soil could be dangerous! but I'm trying to cover it all with rocks... i'll keep watering him as a monsoon! :)

Well I imagine it could compact inside them the same way it can compact in the pot, right? Just like too many hard shelled insects can be an impaction risk, even though they are supposed to eat bugs. Or too many soft bodies ones can cause problems too, lol, everything's dangerous!!! Hahaha. I guess it's basically like the old saying "dosage doseage dosage" - everything can be toxic, it just depends on the amount. I mean if they eat a small piece of clean soil stuck to a wet bug, probably fine, if they make a meal out of it, probably not fine. You know?

Everything seems to be ok today. He is very active , showing great colours, drinking and eating crickets instead of soil! :p

problem solved? hope so! I'll let you know :)

Thanks

A.

Back
Top Bottom