Dehydrated?

I'm worried he may be dehydrated he is starting to shed and has been a little grumpy and his foot was shaking oddly yesterday...? Anyone notice anything immediately from the photo?

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambilobe panther chameleon! 1 month and a week in our care today! He's about 4 months old

◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not really at all currently trying to get him acclimated at home first!

◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding him Crickets mainly he doesn't seem to like any kind of worm at all... I've tried super worms, and horn worms now he didn't eat any of those! I am gut loading my crickets with carrots and kale and supplementing the calcium (No D3) every other day and multivitamin once every other week and sticky tongue farms every other opposite week.
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep cal herptivite multivitamin, reptivalcium, sticky tongue farms miner-all.
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Fog machine goes off every hour 7 minutes and misted 3 times a day. Also a dripper for water.
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has not been tested brown poop little white on the end
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage 16x16x36
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 45 watt light bulb and 5 percent uvb tube light across cage
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Always measuring temp top is low 80's mid is mid 70's and lower is lower 70's
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? About 65% humidity reptifog machine
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Bromeliad and peperomia blanda var. floribunda
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In our bedroom corner not very high traffic and about 5 ft off the floor total fan on the ceiling 16ft ceiling
◦Location - Where are you geographically located? Northern California, Santa Rosa

E5643D89-F554-42E7-9AEA-3AB3CA4AC02B.jpeg

It seems like your care is good, and he doesn't look dehydrated in the photos. Why do you think he may be dehydrated? Dehydration usually causes lethargy, weakness, sunken eyes, and orange urates. Shedding is a good thing, it means he is growing. Does your cham show any of these symptoms of dehydration?

Also, just to clarify, and fogger is not on at night, correct?

No the fog is only on during the day and his skin was looking a bit loose it's not the shed it was just looking a bit wrinkly this isn't the best photos I'll try to take another it looks like the bit around his arm but running along the top of his back just little wrinkles. Seemed odd to us. He also seems to be basking a bit more and moving around less! Thanks for your quick response I appreciate it!

He looks a bit dehydrated. I think spray more often and keep fogger On always even though Santa Rosa is humid you want it at around 70 humidity. Also does he hang always at the top of his cage? Seems like your heat wattage and uvb might not be enough.

It seems like your care is good, and he doesn't look dehydrated in the photos. Why do you think he may be dehydrated? Dehydration usually causes lethargy, weakness, sunken eyes, and orange urates. Shedding is a good thing, it means he is growing. Does your cham show any of these symptoms of dehydration?

Why no fogger at night? I live in a dry climate so mine is on always .. is that an issue to keep the humidity up?

He looks a bit dehydrated. I think spray more often and keep fogger On always even though Santa Rosa is humid you want it at around 70 humidity. Also does he hang always at the top of his cage? Seems like your heat wattage and uvb might not be enough.
He does hang out at the top a lot! I had a 50 watt in before and the heat got up to 90 when it was drying in between sprays and I was worried it would be too much... so I switched it! We have been considering bumping up the uvb to 10 point. If you think that's necessary I will go get a bulb today!

He does hang out at the top a lot! I had a 50 watt in before and the heat got up to 90 when it was drying in between sprays and I was worried it would be too much... so I switched it! We have been considering bumping up the uvb to 10 point. If you think that's necessary I will go get a bulb today!
I know if they aren’t exploring to the lower parts of the cage and are always up top they might be to cold or not getting enough uvb. Also if the bulbs are old they could be less potent . I’d experiment with higher wattage or a ceramic heat bulb and a uvb uva bulb as well. Just keep the humidity and misting up 4xs a day at least with your fogger and monitor the temp close. In my experience since cages are different sizes the temperature and humidity thermometers are the only thing to give a good idea if you are giving an ideal environment. Real plants help here is a pic of my set up. I’m still improving

Attachments

• CCD5C05A-04E7-45B8-883C-2B6E9C6E7970.jpeg
    CCD5C05A-04E7-45B8-883C-2B6E9C6E7970.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 123
He does travel lower to sleep etc and wanders sometime but definitely less since the shedding started! We will expieriement a bit with wattage but everything is new we just got him a month ago and all his set up! Thanks so much for your comments your set up looks great!

Here is a better picture of the wrinkles

Attachments

• 8E08B5F7-22F6-428A-AD15-9532A4C7DA57.jpeg
    8E08B5F7-22F6-428A-AD15-9532A4C7DA57.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 121
I would just keep an eye on it and keep us updated on how he is doing. Make sure you mist the plants a lot so he has plenty of chances to drink when he needs.

from the photos he looks well taken care of and hydrated, his eyes are bulgy and not sunken and thats a good sign, if he is having problems shedding i would just bump up the humidity or give him a shower.

Back
Top Bottom