Dehydrated:(

Katrinaa

So Cupcake has finally pooped!! (Yay!!!) BUT her urate is very orange. I noticed she won't drink from leaves and at the pet store they only ever used either a water dish or waterfall for her so I don't think she's ever been misted before either:( when I must her she goes and hides from it:(
To try to imitate a waterfall without having a waterfall i placed a water dish up in the branches with a small bubbler in it.
I've also notice she's been acting weird. She's normally really friendly and choses to walk out onto my hand, but today she hissed at me when I was just trying to feed her. Maybe she's ready to lay? Lastnight she slept close to the bottom of the tank and didn't eat anything all day yesterday or yet today.
So should I be worried? OR expecting image.jpg eggs?

You should fill out the "how to ask for help form" and give us more information about your Cham so we can help you properly.

Water dishes are not recommended since they do not drink from a standing water source. Provide long adequate mistings to get her to drink. If concerened about dehydration try giving her a nice long shower but not in the direct flow of the water.

Chameleon Info:
Chameleon- Female Veiled. 9months old. Brought home Sunday from a pet store.
Handling - Handled maybe twice (when she walked into my hand) has been cranky today and yesterday.
Feeding - no crickets when I brought home. Fed butter worms/super worms until they get crickets.
Supplements - first day dusted with D3. Dusting with calcium without D3 daily.
Watering - misting 4-6 times daily. Added water dish with bubbler to stimulate waterfall (only water access she had the last 9 months)
Fecal Description - stool is dark brown but urate is pretty orange. Has not been tested for parasites.
History - lived whole life in pet store. Was not misted. Drank from standing dish or waterfall. Very high temperatures. Was kept with a make her whole life.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x24 exo terra. New bigger home should be here by the weekend.
Lighting - 60w basking bulb, 5.0 UVB come on at 8am off at 9pm (same hours as pet store)
Temperature - basking 88, rest of cage around 80, night drops to about 67/70
Humidity - 60-80% hand misting as needed atleast 4x daily
Plants - Lots of fake plants
Placement- dining room with low activity
Location - NS canada

Current Problem - listed above

Just went to peek at her and she's in her laying bin!! I covered the front of the cage with a towel to give her privacy!! Will check on her tomorrow morning again:)

Good luck to her. And you! I would make sure she gets frequent mistings for the days following her lay to alleviate the dehydration. Especially after such hard work.

So Cupcake has finally pooped!! (Yay!!!) BUT her urate is very orange. I noticed she won't drink from leaves and at the pet store they only ever used either a water dish or waterfall for her so I don't think she's ever been misted before either:( when I must her she goes and hides from it:(
To try to imitate a waterfall without having a waterfall i placed a water dish up in the branches with a small bubbler in it.
I've also notice she's been acting weird. She's normally really friendly and choses to walk out onto my hand, but today she hissed at me when I was just trying to feed her. Maybe she's ready to lay? Lastnight she slept close to the bottom of the tank and didn't eat anything all day yesterday or yet today.
So should I be worried? OR expecting View attachment 91222eggs?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/having-trouble-dehydration-try-123508/

The oy problem with that is she isn't really interested in her food. She'll let it sit for hours before she actually starts to eat any:(
She is starting to look gravid and sticking to the lower half of her cage.hopefully eggs come soon and she can be moved to her bigger home. I'm just worried that she's dehydrated before she evening starts to lay:(

One of my chameleons only drinks out of a dish or a syringe! I drip it slowly in front of her until she realises what it is and licks it.

88 basking spot is a little high. If you hope to reduce her laying clutches in the future it's recommended to keep the basking temp around 80-82, spot on. I follow senior member jannb's blog on keeping Veiled's. She has great advise. Best wishes.

Just as a note don't give her too much water at once as she will reject it and it will look as if she being sick. It's like a clear goo and slime, if she takes to the drinking from a syringe you could use liquid calcium to give her a boost !

Back
Top Bottom