Dehydrated Outstalet chamelon

martindean32

Hiya how would you recommend I get my outstalet chameleon to start drinking water as Ive just checked his faces and its orange colored!!!! What would you recommend I do to get him to start to drink????

The problem Ive had is ive only just had to change all of his equipment so should I wait a few days for him to settle down again and drink of his own accord??

Ill keep the dripper on all day for him (Im even considering getting a big dripper for him soon instead as it can hold far more water!!!)

Where would you spray from above (ie over the roof of the viv) or from the front of the cage ??? Lastly how often would you recommend I mist the viv???? Once in the morning, then once at say 1pm then once at about 4pm then lastly once just before he goes bed at 8pm?????

Lastly if misting and using the dripper doesnt work (worst case scenario) then what would u recommend???? Going vets then???? Or is there any other techniques you can suggest I try out????:confused::eek::eek:

The orange color doesn't necessarily mean dehydration, my male's face turned orange all the time, my female's face is red when gravid. If the eyes seem sunken in or the skin remains wrinkly when you pinch it, then he is dehydrated. Can you post a pic?

I forgot to say that my Oustalets prefer to drink off the leaves, so I set up a sprinkler system so it falls on the top of their cage like rain about 10 minutes twice daily, sometimes 3 (and I always keep a dripper going on one leaf so they can go there and drink when they choose). I wait an hour after the sun comes up (or lights come on) then mid afternoon, like around 4, they settle in for bed at 7, the sun goes down at 9. I don't mist within 2 hours of bedtime. In my experience, I have had Ousties develop respiratory infections from too much moisture. If you can't get him to drink droplets, a syringe or medicine dropper always works well, if he opens his mouth to hiss, you can place a drop in his mouth when he is EXHALING (not inhaling or he will aspirate and become very sick), and that will get him into drinking mode, and he may lap the drops you place in the tip of his mouth or in the corner. Once he starts drinking, it is easy to keep the drops coming. If you notice signs of dehydration such as sunken eyes, a vet visit is recommended for subcutaneous fluids because electrolytes are required for hydration. I would get Pedialyte (or other baby electrolyte liquid) and give that with the dropper.

Sorry I typed the word wrong in my initial question I didnt mean his FACE his orange I mean his FAECES is orange!!! Duh!!! I apologise!!!!:eek::eek:

oh, lol, that clears things up tons! :D
I wouldn't excessively water, I would just increase your watering and go according to my schedule with what I mentioned. At this point, I wouldn't worry about using a dropper or syringe to give water

Back
Top Bottom