Dehumidifier

Norbert

Established Member
I noticed as weather gets warmer for spring my humidity levels are much higher than what I had for winter. I only mist for 2 minutes twice a day (morning and night) and I’ll run a dripper or do a quick 10 second mist to wet leaves I know he drinks from for drinking purposes. I’m having trouble keeping my enclosure below 60% during the day so I just bought a dehumidifier that will be here this week.
My question is should I leave this on all day or just until I get humidity to around 50% then turn it off? Also should I use this while my chameleon is shedding or only on days he’s not shedding?

I run a dehumidifier. Without it my levels are 70% during the day which is much higher then I like to have for my Veileds. I turn it on at 7:30am when lights start kicking on in the cages. Then at 3pm I turn it off to start building for the evening. With your Panther your wanting it to be in that 50-60% range. Even if it is a bit higher then 60% it would be just fine. Not sure where your daytime levels are sitting. Also basking level will be a lower humidity then further down in the plants. I measure my basking humidity during the day to know where they are at since that is where they spend the most time.

Keep in mind your wanting 50-60% during the day. So if you bought one of the more expensive ones that has a humidity sensor you can set it to turn off at 50% or 55%. I would stay consistent with use if shedding or not. They are dry shedders so your not wanting it to be more humid. You want it to be the normal perimeters for their care.

I run a dehumidifier. Without it my levels are 70% during the day which is much higher then I like to have for my Veileds. I turn it on at 7:30am when lights start kicking on in the cages. Then at 3pm I turn it off to start building for the evening. With your Panther your wanting it to be in that 50-60% range. Even if it is a bit higher then 60% it would be just fine. Not sure where your daytime levels are sitting. Also basking level will be a lower humidity then further down in the plants. I measure my basking humidity during the day to know where they are at since that is where they spend the most time.

Keep in mind your wanting 50-60% during the day. So if you bought one of the more expensive ones that has a humidity sensor you can set it to turn off at 50% or 55%. I would stay consistent with use if shedding or not. They are dry shedders so your not wanting it to be more humid. You want it to be the normal perimeters for their care.
Okay thank you, it was getting a bit high at the bottom 63-73% in the day time and we’ve only had a couple warm days of 60-70 degrees outside. The summers in Virginia are usually very humid so I’m expecting it to get worse when it’s hotter so this is just a purchase in advance. I was also noticing when the humidity was around that 63-73% he was gaping here and there like a quick yawn and sitting close to the screen, and when I left the enclosure door open for more air circulation he stopped. I removed the shower curtains from the sides for more air flow as well. But I’ve been going based on the bottom humidity levels, the basking humidity is usually 36-45% so is that actually too low and if so should I increase humidity instead?

I think he’s also about to shed so I’m not sure if he was gaping for that reason? This will be his first shed with me so not sure what his normal shedding behavior is yet.

Okay thank you, it was getting a bit high at the bottom 63-73% in the day time and we’ve only had a couple warm days of 60-70 degrees outside. The summers in Virginia are usually very humid so I’m expecting it to get worse when it’s hotter so this is just a purchase in advance. I was also noticing when the humidity was around that 63-73% he was gaping here and there like a quick yawn and sitting close to the screen, and when I left the enclosure door open for more air circulation he stopped. I removed the shower curtains from the sides for more air flow as well. But I’ve been going based on the bottom humidity levels, the basking humidity is usually 36-45% so is that actually too low and if so should I increase humidity instead?

I think he’s also about to shed so I’m not sure if he was gaping for that reason? This will be his first shed with me so not sure what his normal shedding behavior is yet.
So this is actually why I run dehumidifiers for my Veileds. Same issue with higher humidity they gape even with an 80 degree basking and a 72 degree ambient temp. I live on the coast in far northern Cali. I do run full hybrid enclosures to control my levels better year round. And the dehumidifier still does what it needs to. I can not get my humidity lower then 45% during the day which is still on the higher end for a Veiled but they do fine with it.

Your little one will move in and out of the gradients. This is what you want areas of higher heat to lower heat and higher humidity to lower humidity. Same daily levels of heat and humidity. No adjustments for shedding.

Per the gaping... IF he is holding his mouth open then that is heat issue or possible health issue. If he is opening it wide more like a yawn that is normal behavior that is more common when shedding to get the shed to let go.

So this is actually why I run dehumidifiers for my Veileds. Same issue with higher humidity they gape even with an 80 degree basking and a 72 degree ambient temp. I live on the coast in far northern Cali. I do run full hybrid enclosures to control my levels better year round. And the dehumidifier still does what it needs to. I can not get my humidity lower then 45% during the day which is still on the higher end for a Veiled but they do fine with it.

Your little one will move in and out of the gradients. This is what you want areas of higher heat to lower heat and higher humidity to lower humidity. Same daily levels of heat and humidity. No adjustments for shedding.

Per the gaping... IF he is holding his mouth open then that is heat issue or possible health issue. If he is opening it wide more like a yawn that is normal behavior that is more common when shedding to get the shed to let go.
Okay thank you for the help I will leave the humidity as is until summer when it really gets humid. And he isn’t holding his mouth open for long periods, it’s more of a quick really wide yawn then closed again, only twice that I’ve seen (scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it lol). And his head looks kind of dull/pale like he may be about to shed. The basking is 82-85 and ambient is 72-73 so I don’t think he’s too hot but I keep a close eye on heat and adjust accordingly. 😊

Okay thank you for the help I will leave the humidity as is until summer when it really gets humid. And he isn’t holding his mouth open for long periods, it’s more of a quick really wide yawn then closed again, only twice that I’ve seen (scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it lol). And his head looks kind of dull/pale like he may be about to shed. The basking is 82-85 and ambient is 72-73 so I don’t think he’s too hot but I keep a close eye on heat and adjust accordingly. 😊
Yeah so I would just double check temps again to be sure. But more then likely what your describing is more of a yawn/stretch. My boys do it every morning when waking up and warming up.

gapping when it is longer then a few moments is when you have cause for concern. That is when you need to look at every aspect. Because it can mean not only too warm but also RI.

I'd just have it turn off or it'll lower humidity way too much. I run 3 in my house, one in my cham room keeps it at 50-55 and I have it turn off every hour for an hour.

Dehumidifiers(the good ones) are powerful and dry out the air quickly. Too dry is harmful to you and your animals, too humid and your house is in danger of rot/mold/water damage.

I'd just have it turn off or it'll lower humidity way too much. I run 3 in my house, one in my cham room keeps it at 50-55 and I have it turn off every hour for an hour.

Dehumidifiers(the good ones) are powerful and dry out the air quickly. Too dry is harmful to you and your animals, too humid and your house is in danger of rot/mold/water damage.
Thank you! I got a small one for my room and we have a larger one we usually use in the hallway during the summer. I also got a Bluetooth hygrometer for the enclosure so I can track humidity on my phone to see when the highest levels are throughout the day and I’ll just run it during those times I think.

Yeah so I would just double check temps again to be sure. But more then likely what your describing is more of a yawn/stretch. My boys do it every morning when waking up and warming up.

gapping when it is longer then a few moments is when you have cause for concern. That is when you need to look at every aspect. Because it can mean not only too warm but also RI.
Yes I’ve been overly paranoid about any health issues since I’m new to this and have been learning all the possible signs and warnings so I’m pretty sure it’s nothing bad. He doesn’t keep his nose up or keep his mouth open or anything like that. Just a big puff and yawn then back to normal. Checked temps again this morning and basking is at 77-80. I have my hygrometer/thermometer on a Bluetooth as well to keep track throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom