Defense

NatoV

** not a health question really just general discussion**
So one day a couple months back (a week or two after I got my two veileds) I accidentally injured my female *her name is Jude* (she was chilling on the door and I guess I just didn’t see her when I went to open the door of the enclosure) she got a bruise on her head (which is long gone now) and is completely fine now. (I take her out of the enclosure once every two weeks to do a complete clean of the vines and enclosure, I do a spot clean every week I don’t do a full clean) and whenever I take her out her defense is to just.. fall. No slipping or trying to get away and missing a branch no no no, she just falls, I always now put my hand under her to catch her but has anyone else seen this behavior? I know it’s because she got injured when I got her because she started doing that once it happened, but curiosity has the best of me and I just wanna know if anyone else has seen this.

Oh and also she moves around perfectly fine and is okay with me opening the enclosure, she only ever falls when I go to move her to a different enclosure to clean

Oh and also she moves around perfectly fine and is okay with me opening the enclosure, she only ever falls when I go to move her to a different enclosure to clean
That is strange. But then again, I am still learning behaviors of these little guys. Angus would rather NOT come out and wraps his tail around a vine so I cannot get him out on occasion. I have never seen him fall like that.

Some species do a behavior known as disking. You may be able to find clips of it on this site if you do a search and you can compare it to what you are seeing. You could also film the behavior and post it. I have never heard of it in a veiled maybe others have.

She remembers the door incident and panicking when she sees your going to try to move her. It’s her last ditch effort to escape what she considers a threat.

She remembers the door incident and panicking when she sees your going to try to move her. It’s her last ditch effort to escape what she considers a threat.
Ya I know what why she’s doing it, just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this behavior in chams

When I first got my guy and tried to handle him, he instinctively jumped off my hand. It was like he had a parachute and plopped onto the ground.

I’ve been working on bonding with him just by putting my hand near him and what not and now he comes out voluntarily.

I know Jacksons are documented jumpers and have read that panthers will drop out of trees to escape a predator. interesting behavior none the less

How old is she? I have always found jumping/dropping behavior to be more common when they are still small

Back
Top Bottom