Decisions decisions

Albert C

OK guys, can you help me make up my mind about getting a veiled chameleon? I just saw one at the pet store (it looked healthy) and fell in love. In fact, I have always wanted a chameleon but thought they were extremely difficult to keep, but apparently this is a hardy species. I kept anoles quite successfully when I was a kid. Recently, I hatched some praying mantises and took in what I presume was one of the adults just as the weather was getting too cold for it to survive outside-- I realized how much I've missed having a fascinating weird pet and even enjoyed dealing with the crickets to feed it.

Anyway, here's the story. On the plus side, I have researched the housing requirements, which I can handle, and I have an appropriate vet within reach. Also on the plus side, I have a Ph.D. in animal behavior and have raised a lot of animals (does that count for anything?).

On the minus side, I live in a very cold climate and the room temperature goes down to 57. Also, we have occasional power failures (I've researched emergency measures with heat pads etc.). But the obstacle that intimidates me most is that I have two parents in their 90s 300 miles apart, and I need to be able to drop everything at short notice and deal with emergencies. I don't think a chameleon would enjoy that much travel (e.g., 7-hour drives).

What do you think? Would it be unrealistic to try this or am I just over-worrying?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The temperatures don't concern me, all of that can be overcome and misting systems and timers can fill other gaps. Young chameleons need daily feedings. So you would need to have a trusted petsitter in place because chameleons don't travel well. oOn the plus side they don't miss you when you are away.

The temperatures don't concern me, all of that can be overcome and misting systems and timers can fill other gaps. Young chameleons need daily feedings. So you would need to have a trusted petsitter in place because chameleons don't travel well. oOn the plus side they don't miss you when you are away.

Thanks! I'll ask the vet if they do chameleon boarding or can recommend a lizard sitter.

Thanks for the link-- it looks good! I would definitely set up and monitor the habitat as well as get the food colonies started before bringing a chameleon home. I've seen too many unhappy pets in my time, if only as a function of age.

Oddly, I was startled a few years ago when I suddenly noticed a huge chameleon staring at me from the shoulder of a young lady on a bus. It seemed quite calm. Not that I would endorse taking a loose chameleon on a bus, especially without warning nearby passengers!

Thanks for the link-- it looks good! I would definitely set up and monitor the habitat as well as get the food colonies started before bringing a chameleon home. I've seen too many unhappy pets in my time, if only as a function of age.
Oh right-- I had watched the one about which species to choose. I thought the veiled was a good choice because they are a little hardier and tolerate lower temperatures. Even if they are not the "friendliest." What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom