Deciding on a chameleon

Jjreeb

I will soon be getting a 36x18x24 inch terrarium fully equipped with monsoon mister waterfall plants and lighting. I work at a pet store and have experience with alot of reptiles. However I'm looking for advice as to what would be a good chameleon to get. I'm looking, more specifically for a chameleon who will be fine in that size tank, will be o.k. With frequent handling and is slightly more interesting then a veiled. Any suggestions?

Also wondering if putting 2 or 3 jacksons in that size tank would be safe. I've heard both sides on this issue. Anyone with personal experience?

Also wondering what the different color variations in panther chameleons are between all of the regions they come from. I'm pretty sure nosy bes are red and ambilobes are blue.But I may be totally off. If so what regions have the most vibrant blue and red colorations
Any advice would be appreciated :)

James

Last edited:
Forgot to mention it is a glass tank with a wire top. It's the biggest glass
tank in the exo terra series I believe

Sounds fun! Great sized tank as well. I love the Exo-Terra tanks (I have my 5mo. old panther in the 24"x18"x18"), great for holding in humidity and also added airflow with the front vent and the screen top.

Most people suggest getting a veiled if it's your first cham, because they aren't very temperamental/are easily tamed and handled/ and get pretty good size (up to 24"). But if you're leaning towards the prettier specimens, I would definitely suggest a captive-bred panther. The ambilobe local being the most common from what I've seen.

I've worked at the same pet store for almost four years and we've only carried panthers ONCE, so I jumped at the chance and bought the bigger of the three babies we got. He's a captive-bred five-month-old blue-bar ambilobe panther, and I love him! He's already grown two inches in the two months I've had him. (he's the cute little guy in my avitar) He's the first reptile I've EVER personally owned (apart from caring for the ones at work) and he. is. awesome!

Captive-bred chams in general are MUCH more tamable and don't stress as easily. Ambilobes are probably one of the most common locales from what I've gathered, and are quite tamable.

Hope this helps!

~Spider

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention the ominous "One Chameleon per Cage" rule.

With most species, males will fight and become stressed. If it's a male/female pair, the male will constantly try to mate with the female, which will cause her great stress as well. I'm not sure on the Jackson's with that issue, but if it were me, I'd go with a bigger enclosure if keeping that many together - just in case.
:D

"Tame-able", waterfalls, smaller glass cages? Research is needed here. Jacksons are a chameleon that need high humidity and decent air flow, and I definitely do not suggest housing them together. Waterfalls are a big no-no in chameleon land, and that glass cage does not provide the vertical height needed for most of the larger species. Veileds are a forgiving species husbandry wise, but among the most territorial and aggressive. Being CB also does not make a cham more "tame-able". Some individuals of any species are more tolerant than others. You just don't get a cham hoping it "likes" to be handled, because they just do not. Welcome to both of you, and please spend some time reading here.

Julirs said it right. Glass is not a good house for a veiled or panther. "Tame" is not all ways going to happen. There is alot more research that needs to be done with both you guys. You are in the right place. And as far as working at a petstore and having experiance with reptiles. I would just forget everything you learned at the store about chameleons. Start fresh with the fourm.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tame-able", waterfalls, smaller glass cages? Research is needed here. Jacksons are a chameleon that need high humidity and decent air flow, and I definitely do not suggest housing them together. Waterfalls are a big no-no in chameleon land, and that glass cage does not provide the vertical height needed for most of the larger species. Veileds are a forgiving species husbandry wise, but among the most territorial and aggressive. Being CB also does not make a cham more "tame-able". Some individuals of any species are more tolerant than others. You just don't get a cham hoping it "likes" to be handled, because they just do not. Welcome to both of you, and please spend some time reading here.

At what point did I say that I wanted a tame-able chameleon or one that likes to be handled? As I've said, I'm looking for a species that isn't as likely to show aggression or stress with handling. I understand that to much handling is stressful for any chameleon.
Why is it that a waterfall is a big "no-no"? I also will have a automatic top-end mister. The monsoon. Thanks for the input though guys

At what point did I say that I wanted a tame-able chameleon or one that likes to be handled? As I've said, I'm looking for a species that isn't as likely to show aggression or stress with handling. I understand that to much handling is stressful for any chameleon.
Why is it that a waterfall is a big "no-no"? I also will have a automatic top-end mister. The monsoon. Thanks for the input though guys

Waterfalls are a vacation spot for bacteria. Glass terrariums dont allow for proper airflow. This leads to respiratory infections. And there is really no species that is less likely yo show aggression. It depends on the chameleon itself and how you treated. Yes some are more angry than others (veileds as Julirs said), but IMO no chameleon should be handled even if they dont appear to be pissed off. Taking them out of their comfort zone provides stress, even at low levels.

I've said it before.. if you're looking for a pet that likes to be petted or handled get a dog. If you are looking for something you are willing to devote all time needed to properly take care of it, and would rather enjoy watching it roam around its cage, then get a chameleon.

Just don't make the commitment if you cannot take care of it. There have been many cases like that and its sad how chameleons turn out.

and a word of advice.. dont listen to pet stores.. look around on the forum, you'll find really good information about taking good care of your chameleon

Get the mistking..nothing better

I've just finished that care sheet. Very well done caresheet. Nothing there surprised me. I understand now the reason for everyones concern. I realize that an all glass cage is less then Ideal for chameleons but it is what is available to me right now. I was planning to have a small fan blowing into the cage from the top to increase airflow.

I promise you guys that I know my stuff pretty well. I browsed around on here for a long long time before actually becoming a member.

Can somebody please explain why waterfalls should be avoided? I know they shouldn't be the only sour e of drinking water( I have the monsoon) and that they can grow mold inside, but I know to check for that. I really like the look and sound of it which is the reason I would be adding it

they are a breeding ground for bacteria.

and go online.. you'll find screen cages for much cheaper prices that glass terrariums.. a 2X2X4' cage for $100 on some places.. that's a good deal.. there are some mesh cages on lllreptiles for less.

I know the glass is lessthen ideal but it it not ALL glass. It has front and top ventilation, as I've said I will have a small fan running. I HAVE done hours of research. There are many cases in whichpeople use these terrariums with a fan running.

Panther Chameleons are some of the most colorful which is what it sounds like you are looking for, check out some of the sponsors web sites for specific locals and to see their coloring.

I feel bad saying this. I kow how expensive the Exo Terra terrarium is, as I bought the same thing when I started out based on advice from a pet store, but even the biggest is too small for any of the Panthers unless it is an infant. Depending on the climate where you live screen cages are often a better choice and more affordable in the sizes that you would need. Chris Anderson posted an awesome thread on glass chameleon enclosures, I recommend that you check it out if you still want to go the glass route.

it is easy to spend a lot of money when starting out, from my experience I wasted a lot attempting to save money. Too often you really do get what you pay for, check out the MistKing vs. Monsoon thread from yesterday. I have 2 MistKings, no I do not have money to throw away but I know from buying pet store systems prior to only end up with them sitting in the garage. I bought the second one for either my frogs or an out door enclosure. good luck and you came to the right place.

Jjreeb I would take some more time to learn about Chameleons and their care before you get one. It sounds like you are pretty inexperienced. Not trying to be rude. You cant be selfish and risk the health of a animal.

I know the glass is lessthen ideal but it it not ALL glass. It has front and top ventilation, as I've said I will have a small fan running. I HAVE done hours of research. There are many cases in whichpeople use these terrariums with a fan running.

If you KNOW it's less than ideal, and people here who have kept chameleons for YEARS have told you that you should not use it, then why be stubborn and still go for it?

Start out right.. your chameleon (and your wallet) will appreciate it

And btw...Nosy Be's are blue, not red. Ambilobes are of various colorations with blue or red bars

The exo's are nice and especially that size you can accomplish good airflow, proper humidity, and can arrange a way to thermoregulate their body temps easily.Use a digital and accurate temp and RH meters. I think they are to small for veileds or panthers but not impossible. Jackson and a lot of other smaller species would do good in there if correct husbandry is put forth i'd imagine.

Just type waterfall in the search option above youll see so many threads on them already.The Monsoon is a good way to keep the humidity up and plenty to drink. Make sure you have proper drainage though or it will become nasty quick.

from readin this id say the op needs to do more research, you may work in a pet store but you have just about all your cham stuff wrong you ask after they told you why the waterfall isnt a good idea an you say you wanted to offer a diff drinkin option? chams wont drink from a bowl like a dog an if they did i wouldnt want my cham drinkin tainted water. so as others have said your in the rite place research research research before you jump an get something..

Back
Top Bottom