Deciding on a chameleon

from readin this id say the op needs to do more research, you may work in a pet store but you have just about all your cham stuff wrong you ask after they told you why the waterfall isnt a good idea an you say you wanted to offer a diff drinkin option? chams wont drink from a bowl like a dog an if they did i wouldnt want my cham drinkin tainted water. so as others have said your in the rite place research research research before you jump an get something..

Whaaaa? When did I say I would have a bowl? I know that cham's can't see standing water, which is why I will have the two drinking options the waterfall has a filter and a pump and from what I've read the monsoon is definitely the most convienient system for me. I have done research beyond the per store and am fully aware of the benefits of screen terrariums over glass. My exo, however has more ventilation then that of all glass terrariums and will also have a fan blowing through it. The waterfall will be cleaned regularly to prevent bacterial build-ups.

The exo's are nice and especially that size you can accomplish good airflow, proper humidity, and can arrange a way to thermoregulate their body temps easily.Use a digital and accurate temp and RH meters. I think they are to small for veileds or panthers but not impossible. Jackson and a lot of other smaller species would do good in there if correct husbandry is put forth i'd imagine.

Just type waterfall in the search option above youll see so many threads on them already.The Monsoon is a good way to keep the humidity up and plenty to drink. Make sure you have proper drainage though or it will become nasty quick.

Thank you for beng the first one to give me a good answer! :) I am planning on staying away from the veiled but I was considering panthers. Any specific suggestions? I know jacksons are a common one. But what are others? Any opinions on having more then one jacksons? Even on here I've read at least a few posts that claim to have jacksons living happily together in a smaller tank size. Hanks for the input guys.

Jjreeb-we are a passionate group! Please don't take all of the well intentioned advice the wrong way-it is easy to do that when on a forum. Waterfalls are simply more trouble than they are worth! Chameleon love to poop in them. If you have the mister you are more than good to go.

I simply like the waterfall and it is part of the package if it turns out to be a hassle I will lose it, but as of right now it's no cheaper to not get it.

Still not very many posts about cohabiting jacksons or about the coloration of panthers, would love some answers to these questions

Thanks

Shouldn't house any big chameleon together as they are territorial and will get stressed.

as to the coloration of panthers. infinite..lol.
look on the FLChams site.. you'll get somewhat of an idea of the different locales and their coloration patterns

Shouldn't house any big chameleon together as they are territorial and will get stressed.

as to the coloration of panthers. infinite..lol.
look on the FLChams site.. you'll get somewhat of an idea of the different locales and their coloration patterns

Big as in what? Jacksons are relatively small. Thanks for the link I really like the tamatave :)

Just because you don't agree with someone's answer doesn't mean it's not a good answer. I used a waterfall back in the day with geckos and I hated it. It was constantly filthy and would get clogged with dead crickets, even after I tried to put screen over the little holes. Rob compared the waterfall to drinking out of a bowl since you were considering it to be a water source. If you want to use the waterfall, then put it outside of the tank or set your tank up for geckos or frogs and get a screen cage for the chameleon. You came here looking for advice and there are very experienced keepers giving you excellent advice. Chameleons are delicate. Even with the proper set up, they can go downhill quickly if one little thing is off.

Just because you don't agree with someone's answer doesn't mean it's not a good answer. I used a waterfall back in the day with geckos and I hated it. It was constantly filthy and would get clogged with dead crickets, even after I tried to put screen over the little holes. Rob compared the waterfall to drinking out of a bowl since you were considering it to be a water source. If you want to use the waterfall, then put it outside of the tank or set your tank up for geckos or frogs and get a screen cage for the chameleon. You came here looking for advice and there are very experienced keepers giving you excellent advice. Chameleons are delicate. Even with the proper set up, they can go downhill quickly if one little thing is off.

I have geckos, I have snakes, I have waterfalls. I love them. A chameleon can and will drink from a waterfall. As I said it can be a water source but shouldn't be and won't be the only source. I said the answer was a good answer because he decided to actually answer my question. I welcome advice but the way I see it and from the majority of the research I have done. The glass cage and the waterfall shouldn't be problematic, if I have the fan running. Moons has even addresses the fan. I have read plenty of posts on this site saying it should be o.k. The waterfall is a personal choice. If it becomes problematic I will lose it.

JJreeb-what part of the country are you in? It has alot to do with the kind of caging you should use. There is not an Exo large enough to house male Veileds or Panthers, and housing females in them is iffy. Some Jacksons are quite big, and utilize much of their cage space, and I do not recommend housing any chameleons together until you have kept quite a few and know what to recognize as far as stress. And then you are still very limited in what you can keep together, and only in very large cages-not Exos. Why do you want to cohabitate them?

Get off the waterfall. There is NO REASON for it what so ever. If you want a waterfall get dart frogs. Your chameleon will NOT drink from it. In a few months we will see a post from you "My chameleon is sick". Just dont do it. If you have done hours of research then you would know not to use a waterfall or glass tank. Also you would have known not to buy that kit if you did research first. The fan will not help.
If you have done all the research you would have known what color a Nosy be was. You are going down the wrong road being so stubbern. Most of us have had chameleons for many years and know what we are talking about. Use our mistakes as your stepping stones.
Go with the Mistking
No fan
No waterfall
No glass
Panther chameleon

If the waterfall becomes problematic, you may also lose the Cham. That is our worry. Why risk it, if you know it's risky? If you already have them in your other, more species-suitable enclosures, enjoy them there and take the safer step with the chameleon. Get the feng shui tabletop style and set it beside you on a table so you can hear the sound of moving water while you watch your chameleon enjoy all that extra usuable space in the enclosure that would have been taken up by that unnecessary and questionably hygienic waterfall. ;)

If you want a waterfall so bad. Get one of these:
004-1.jpg

Well, being in Canada I don't think we can say no glass, but we can say no Exo if it is too small for the species you want. You may have to look into customized well ventilated glass enclosures.

Well, being in Canada I don't think we can say no glass, but we can say no Exo if it is too small for the species you want. You may have to look into customized well ventilated glass enclosures.

I agree. I dont know why people always leave out vital information. Like where thet live. Thats major important. But your right. It needs to be a better one.

I like waterfalls too (but i dont have one since they house too much bacteria)
I turn off , or point all fans away from them since breezes are bad for them, especially at night)

mistking destroys the monsoon (i wanted a monsoon at first then found out mist king is just as cheap, but has more of a fog type mist)

as for glass..i dont use it (but since you are in canada..its really hard to keep a consistent temp..and glass kinda insulates it..)

also if anyone has any suggestions for you, its only because they either have used it and it works great from experience, or they had to learn the hard way, and are just steering people away from the horrible trail they had to take once..

either way good luck!!

There are ways around the screen issues though, even here in canada. I went into it a little more on his other thread. I just think its better to start with screen & adjust accordingly (ie. Cover half of it if you have to) rather than starting with glass that you can't undo, can't take outside, can't drain properly, etc. There's room humidifiers. There's piping room humidifiers straight into cage if you have to. I don't know, I just think it's way easier to make screen slightly more solid than make glass NOT. Lol.

There are ways around the screen issues though, even here in canada. I went into it a little more on his other thread. I just think its better to start with screen & adjust accordingly (ie. Cover half of it if you have to) rather than starting with glass that you can't undo, can't take outside, can't drain properly, etc. There's room humidifiers. There's piping room humidifiers straight into cage if you have to. I don't know, I just think it's way easier to make screen slightly more solid than make glass NOT. Lol.

I always use screen if i use a cage..and when it ever was too cold (rare here in so cal , ) but i could just use plastic from home depot to cove the sides and back..worked great..or a towel on one side i suppose wold work to..

For those who cannot read, it is an EXO TERRA TERRARIUM not a glass aquarium. These can be used with smaller species anywhere in the world. You can use them in the middle of the desert if you had a house there that you kept cool with an AC. So many factors play into whether or not its a good cage to use. If you want to be able to take the cham outside for natural sun I suggest a screen cage so its easy to move the whole cage outside.

The exo terra is too small for adults of larger species. You can use it for babies to maybe sub adults for a panther or veiled but once they are full adult they will need a larger cage. A jacksonii would probably be alright, although, WC specimen should have plenty of room to make acclimation easier. You could always use the exo for a baby and juvinile and switch them to a larger cage when needed and use the exo for some frogs or something else.

Ditch the waterfall. Its been said 100 times. Even if it wouldnt cause a problem for the cham bacteria wise it would simply take up too much room in the enclosure.

I would not suggest housing jacksonii together. The main reason is stress indicators are sometimes very subtle and someone getting into chams may not be able to see these indicators. Also males will try to constantly breed with females and stress them out until they die. It might be possible to house a few females together but you would need a much larger cage. It also depends on individual specimen. One may be more aggressive than another.

When using the exo terra you will not want to soak it with the misting system because of the lack of drainage. Read this article for more information on using an exo terra correctly for a chameleon.

http://chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

Here is also a good article on jacksonii.

http://chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Any specific questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Edit: If you are going for a jacksonii you want to find a nice well started captive bred specimen 4 plus months at least. Babies of this species can be trickier than other species so you want a well started one. If you decide on a WC be warned that they are not fun. I would go to a show and pick it out so you know you are getting one in decent shape. Exporters will ship whatever. Its just luck of the draw if you let them pick it out. Do some more research on acclimation if you are going to go with a WC. I dont suggest it for a beginner but starting out with spot on husbandry and a good specimen a beginner can even do well with a WC.

Back
Top Bottom