dechlorinating water with aquarium dechlorinater

i dont know if i would use that, it tends to have alot of chemicals in it. Id stick to the reptile brands

its perfectly fine, i use it all the time and basically the same as reptile dechlorinizer. im not sure about most reptile brands, but it also offers electrolytes in aquarium brands

The easiest way to remove chlorine is to add a inline carbon filter to faucet you are using. If you go with the standard 10" size cartridge you'll be able to filter around 5000 gallons.

Chlorine and Chloramines are two products added to disinfect our water supplies. A quick look at your cities water report will tell you what they use and at what concentrations.

Chlorine is easy to remove with just standard carbon filters. If your water contains chloramines you need to use catalytic carbon. Try to go with the biggest size carbon system you can.

Carl

I honestly just use reptisafe by zoomed and you only need a couple of drops really.
You can find it at any reptile store.
It cleans the tap water/declorinated/removes cholrmines it and it has other things in it like a LITTLE bit of calcium an electrolytes which is also good for your cham :D

I always get a bit leary when these types of products say not for human consumption. If it isn't good for me how can it be good for the animals I am giving it to.

I can't tell you if the Zoo Med stuff says this or not. They do not offer a MSDS sheet that I can find online to know for sure what is in the product.

Just my opinion.

Carl

I always get a bit leary when these types of products say not for human consumption. If it isn't good for me how can it be good for the animals I am giving it to.

I can't tell you if the Zoo Med stuff says this or not. They do not offer a MSDS sheet that I can find online to know for sure what is in the product.

Just my opinion.

Carl

why would these products have an msds sheet? they are not harmful in any means. the reason it says not for human consumption is because.. they are not for humans? we dont need them? surely they wouldn't harm us, but are stated that it is not for any human health boost, antibiotic, nutrition value, etc.

to pedroandashley, you said that reptisafe has calcium and electrolytes.. dont most aquarium dechlorinizers have this as well? you guys need to stop wasting your money on things that say "just for reptiles" its all marketing. there are countless and way more inexpensive products for various types of reptile needs that can be used getting around cheaper routes and the right way as well. jmo

If you ask me, Chams are so sensitive that I only suppply mine with distilled water. Even if your dechlorinate the water there are still cancer cancer causing byproducts. Like THM's and HAA5's, Don't panic they are small amounts, but why expose them to that???

dont need to scare yourself, many people on here use plain tap water and hose water for water supply. its up to you to do your research on your city water and see what the chlorine levels are

to pedroandashley, you said that reptisafe has calcium and electrolytes.. dont most aquarium dechlorinizers have this as well? you guys need to stop wasting your money on things that say "just for reptiles" its all marketing. there are countless and way more inexpensive products for various types of reptile needs that can be used getting around cheaper routes and the right way as well. jmo

Im not sure I dont have any fish and wouldnt know anything about the aquarium dechlorinazers but reptisafe is NOT an expensive just for reptiles product. Its 4 dollars for a 8 oz bottle. 1 teaspoon treats 5 gallons of water.
8oz=48 teaspoons
48 teaspoons=240 gallons
240 gallons of treated water for 4 bucks is a great deal.
It by no means an "expensive just for reptiles product"

Im not sure I dont have any fish and wouldnt know anything about the aquarium dechlorinazers but reptisafe is NOT an expensive just for reptiles product. Its 4 dollars for a 8 oz bottle. 1 teaspoon treats 5 gallons of water.
8oz=48 teaspoons
48 teaspoons=240 gallons

and my 8.75 ounce bottle has lasted me 16 months so far....I call that cheap as hell. :p

Harry

8oz=48 teaspoons
48 teaspoons=240 gallons

well you guys are blessed than, its like 12$ a bottle here. aboslutely ubsured. but then again, some prodcucts are cheap here, some arent. for example, a 5.5'' dome light, just throwing something out there, are around 20-22$. how much would one that size be where you guys live?

Your in canada I didnt take that into account!
Then it would be a bit more expensive but 12$ still isnt to to bad like harry said it last a while.
I only buy the small bottle which is like 2 bucks and its around 2-3 oz
and Ive had it for about 5-6 months now and its not even a quarter of the way thru :p
But your right a 5.5 dome here is only around 12-14 dollars? Im not too sure I just buy the cheap 75watt ones at homedepot for like 6 bucks :)

Cheap /safe declor

Dechlorinator is simply Hypo-sodium-thiosulfate. 6 bucks a pound. Talk about cheap. One pound treats 20 or 30,000 gals Htap h20.2 drops to a gallon. Only chlorine though. Not Chloramines. My H20 is cloramine free. Each municipitality will tell U if use chloramines. I use carbon though . its cheap & easy . No worry if harms reps.:eek:) Chuck

why would these products have an msds sheet?

Unless things have gotten way looser than 15 years ago when I was the head of the Safety Committee at the Photo Lab (and, have any regulations gotten looser?) all products, even those that are utterly benign must provide an MSDS on request. They are not obligated to make that available publicly, but they are required to provide it to all who purchase the product directly from them. Many of our providers included MSDS sheets with every shipment, even if it was a product we received 3 times a week.

I've found that I can get much more information about products from retail stores than the producer's site. They are not required to provide us with MSDS sheets, but they can be taken to court if they fail to disclose important information about the products they sell.

dont need to scare yourself, many people on here use plain tap water and hose water for water supply. its up to you to do your research on your city water and see what the chlorine levels are

Exactly.

Note that if you decide you need to filter your tap water and only have one or two animals, it's possible a simple filter system like BRITA will do what you need without being very complicated.

Back
Top Bottom