Dealt with a stupid reptile store

So I know everyone has seen a whole bunch of these treads and yes it gets annoying but I just wanted to explain what happened to me recently.

So me and my biology teacher decided to get some Pygmy chameleons for our classroom and we had a huge tank so we just needed to get the chameleons and supplies. I got the supplies and set the tank up. Now it was time to go get them. I collected $50 from my class for 3 pygmies at a local reptile store. I go to the store and I notice their pygmies are housed with baby tree frogs and flying geckos. I was sick to my bone..but I had no where else to go. I picked out a boy and two girls, paid and was on my way home. BUT a mile away from the store one of the girls that was looking nice and healthy 10 minutes ago, started opening her mouth and died. So we turned around and went back to the store. When I explained to them the situation, they blamed me for killing her and putting her in direct sunlight. Guys...I can assure you that was not the case.

So me and my dad are arguing with them and they are blaming it on me and then they say they can't give me a new one. I would need to pay am additional $7 for a new female. So I did that and brought them home and to school and they lived in their new home. Within a week, the male I bought from them dies. :(

Never again will I buy from them. Ever.
Thanks for listening to my ramble.

god forbid a creature who thrives on sunlight gets direct sunlight, thats obviously the reason they died......what a bunch of weirdo's. sorry you had to deal with that:(

Sorry for your bad experience that sucks! Yeah it is really sad how bad some are and what they can get away with... Good luck with your other two.

I was sick to my bone..but I had no where else to go. I picked out a boy and two girls, paid and was on my way home. [...]
So me and my dad are arguing with them and they are blaming it on me and then they say they can't give me a new one. I would need to pay am additional $7 for a new female. So I did that and brought them home and to school and they lived in their new home. Within a week, the male I bought from them dies. :(

Yes you did, you could have purchased online or from a different pet store (unless all of the pet stores in your area treat reptiles like this) and because you bought from that pet store not only once but twice, you are encouraging them to buy more pygmy chameleons and perhaps other chameleons because they know they can get away with treating their animals poorly and people will buy them.

You can't always be a bleeding heart, Stefan. I know you meant well but sometimes the best way to show that you don't agree with a pet store's business practices is to not buy anything from them.

Don't continue to buy from them knowing the chameleons won't make it - not only will it put a dent in your wallet but it will break your heart.

In my opinion, pygmy chameleons aren't exactly the best classroom pet anyways, they are too delicate (especially being WC, you don't know the age, etc.) but I'm sure you can think of another class pet instead.

All of that being said, I know you are a good kid with the best of intentions. I wish there was something better you could do.

Did you put a complaint on Fauna boi? I would like to hear what shop it was. Though I bet I could guess...

Syn- Yes I get that and if I had more money, I would have bought from a breeder like FLChams online. But the fact that I collected $50 from the kids in my classroom to go out and buy 3 pygmies was a lt easier then buying 3 and paying for shipping. I can't ask everyone for $10.

I get your point and if I knew o a better store that sold them for $14 each..I would have gone there. But unfortunately...this was my only option OTHER then online buying.

James L- I'd rather not getting involved with them through Fauna again. I've done that before with LizardLover and the store decided to try to get the police involved. Yeah..no. Never again.
If you wanna know who they are..don't hesitate to PM me.

Yes you did, you could have purchased online or from a different pet store (unless all of the pet stores in your area treat reptiles like this) and because you bought from that pet store not only once but twice, you are encouraging them to buy more pygmy chameleons and perhaps other chameleons because they know they can get away with treating their animals poorly and people will buy them.

You can't always be a bleeding heart, Stefan. I know you meant well but sometimes the best way to show that you don't agree with a pet store's business practices is to not buy anything from them.

Don't continue to buy from them knowing the chameleons won't make it - not only will it put a dent in your wallet but it will break your heart.

In my opinion, pygmy chameleons aren't exactly the best classroom pet anyways, they are too delicate (especially being WC, you don't know the age, etc.) but I'm sure you can think of another class pet instead.

All of that being said, I know you are a good kid with the best of intentions. I wish there was something better you could do.

i get what your saying. i really dont feel that it's wrong to have pygmys as classroom pets. So long as the pygmys are cared for very well. if anything hopefully it will educate people on proper care of chamleons(pymgys). You could have bought elsewhere. instead of being upset at where you did buy. get the law involoved(if possible) and next time buy from good people. it happens to the best of us ^^. im sorry for your terrible experince

Syn- Yes I get that and if I had more money, I would have bought from a breeder like FLChams online. But the fact that I collected $50 from the kids in my classroom to go out and buy 3 pygmies was a lt easier then buying 3 and paying for shipping. I can't ask everyone for $10.

I get your point and if I knew o a better store that sold them for $14 each..I would have gone there. But unfortunately...this was my only option OTHER then online buying.
No, your other option was not buying at all. You don't need a classroom pet - especially if it means losing money and supporting bad business.

It's a learning experience.

i get what your saying. i really dont feel that it's wrong to have pygmys as classroom pets. So long as the pygmys are cared for very well. if anything hopefully it will educate people on proper care of chamleons(pymgys). You could have bought elsewhere. instead of being upset at where you did buy. get the law involoved(if possible) and next time buy from good people. it happens to the best of us ^^. im sorry for your terrible experince
There's just too much going on in a classroom for any chameleon to be a good classroom pet, IMHO, but I suppose there are exceptions.

are you sure they were dead pygmies are known very well to act and play dead. if you didn't know now you do you might of thrown away a little actor and didn't know it

No, your other option was not buying at all. You don't need a classroom pet - especially if it means losing money and supporting bad business.

There's just too much going on in a classroom for any chameleon to be a good classroom pet, IMHO, but I suppose there are exceptions.

Not really. :rolleyes:

And yeah they were dead. The eye was sunken in and they got all brown and the tongue was out. Ive has pygmies before. I know what a dead Pygmy looks like unfortunately.:eek: thanks for the advice though!

Have to agree with Syn here. IMHO all the classroom visual activity, peering faces, and noise (yes I mean low frequency noise) could put those pygmies into hiding/freeze mode most of the time. Not good for them and not all that interesting for kids who want to watch them. Caring for all their tiny feeders would be a chore too. I would think you'd want a bolder day active species that doesn't mind being observed. Any cham that costs a mere $14 isn't a good deal most likely...unknown health, age, and the ecological price of the trade isn't worth it either.

Reactions: Syn
Not really. :rolleyes:
"Not really" and and an eye roll? Yeah, figured I'd get that since I disagreed with you.
Have to agree with Syn here. IMHO all the classroom visual activity, peering faces, and noise (yes I mean low frequency noise) could put those pygmies into hiding/freeze mode most of the time. Not good for them and not all that interesting for kids who want to watch them. Caring for all their tiny feeders would be a chore too. I would think you'd want a bolder day active species that doesn't mind being observed. Any cham that costs a mere $14 isn't a good deal most likely...unknown health, age, and the ecological price of the trade isn't worth it either.
+1

Back
Top Bottom