Dark spot on panther chin. Leaving the country in two days!

FE80DE45-77C8-4213-94A3-715314E9ED01.jpeg

Hello! Panther (Francis) just started showing the dark spot on his chin this morning. I am leaving the country on monday for a week so I want to make sure I get on top of this before I go and make sure he is ok! What is this? Rot? How can I treat it?

He is finishing a shed about 3 years old. Make panther. Repti-sun T5, incandescent heating. Mist king, 10 sec 3x day. A cup for drinking. Humidity 60% A small plant grow light. He’s never had something like this before. Let me know if I’m forgetting something, any help is appreciated !

Attachments

• 0EF5D031-82CA-4016-B3A3-BAF5D940D1DC.jpeg
    0EF5D031-82CA-4016-B3A3-BAF5D940D1DC.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 433B3A61-EAC4-49D1-9AB4-F63DF4F80D2D.jpeg
    433B3A61-EAC4-49D1-9AB4-F63DF4F80D2D.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 85D7F1E1-45EB-44A5-AA5D-16B095C13E64.jpeg
    85D7F1E1-45EB-44A5-AA5D-16B095C13E64.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 32
  • A2B8DDEA-6FA1-41A9-AAE8-7447532342B7.jpeg
    A2B8DDEA-6FA1-41A9-AAE8-7447532342B7.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 30
  • B36C5597-BA4C-484F-AF28-000A5326E36B.jpeg
    B36C5597-BA4C-484F-AF28-000A5326E36B.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 24
  • BF985F60-9564-4600-8387-A1A411CE4BC5.jpeg
    BF985F60-9564-4600-8387-A1A411CE4BC5.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 34
I’m sorry no one has answered you, let me see if I can tag some people in to help. I don’t know much about panthers.

@MissSkittles @Beman @kinyonga
I know it’s last minute! Hopefully he will be ok until I get back 😳
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - 3 year male panther
  • Handling - he is good with handling. once in awhile to feed or take outside for sun
  • Feeding - 12 crickets 1x week, wax worms as a treat
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets in Reptivite Reptile vitamins without D3 mainly, with D3 every two weeks, vitamins 1x month
  • Watering - I mist by hand once a day usually. Mist king, 10s 3x day. A cup for drinking
  • Fecal Description - Normal. White urates
  • History - Roberstson reptiles. Got him when he was a baby and he’s been with me the whole time.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Custom. Back and front screen with the sides glass. 1x3x3
  • Lighting - Reptisun T5 5 22 inch. Incandescent bulb for basking, plant uv light
  • Temperature - Basking ~80F. Cage floor probably around 76-78F. At night the lowest temperature is 74. I have a the
  • Humidity - Humidity is ~60% .
  • Plants - I have live plants, pothos, bromeliad, palm, monstera
  • Placement - Back of living room. Only two adults and some cats. Not a lot of movement and disturbance for him
  • Location - FL USA

Current Problem - Dark spot on chin / scale

Hey there.... So the only thing that stands out for husbandry is the below info. Reptivite has fat soluble Vitamin A, So it is only recommended 2 times a month. It is a multivitamin. But with the way you feed once a week. It is going to impact the supplement balance he can get.

Calcium without D3 is recommended at all feeding except 2 times a month you would use a multivitamin with D3.

If there is a supplement imbalance then the spot could perhaps be from a fall that he then hit it on a branch. Not much you can do now since your leaving. And it does not look extreme at the moment. Could just be bruising. When you get back I would consider feeding 2 times a week so you can break out the supplements differently. And do 5-6 feeders each feeding with it 2 times a week.

If you want to go over supplements more please post pics of the front labels so I can see exactly which ones your using. :)

Supplements - I dust the crickets in Reptivite Reptile vitamins without D3 mainly, with D3 every two weeks, vitamins 1x month

Watering - I mist by hand once a day usually. Mist king, 10s 3x day. A cup for drinking
Personally I would up your misting time. 10 seconds is not much time for him to clean eyes or drink from misting.

Hey there.... So the only thing that stands out for husbandry is the below info. Reptivite has fat soluble Vitamin A, So it is only recommended 2 times a month. It is a multivitamin. But with the way you feed once a week. It is going to impact the supplement balance he can get.

Calcium without D3 is recommended at all feeding except 2 times a month you would use a multivitamin with D3.

If there is a supplement imbalance then the spot could perhaps be from a fall that he then hit it on a branch. Not much you can do now since your leaving. And it does not look extreme at the moment. Could just be bruising. When you get back I would consider feeding 2 times a week so you can break out the supplements differently. And do 5-6 feeders each feeding with it 2 times a week.

If you want to go over supplements more please post pics of the front labels so I can see exactly which ones your using. :)

Personally I would up your misting time. 10 seconds is not much time for him to clean eyes or drink from misting.
I upped his misting time 30s 3x. Before the 10s times I had it way too high and the bottom was pooling. I do a lot of hand misting to get his plants as well. Thank you for the help! It didn’t really occur to me that they can bruise. I will try to get him on a twice a week feed schedule as well. Do you ever dust the wax worms?
B455175C-6575-4E1D-BF88-B0D242BDFD06.jpeg

I upped his misting time 30s 3x. Before the 10s times I had it way too high and the bottom was pooling. I do a lot of hand misting to get his plants as well. Thank you for the help! It didn’t really occur to me that they can bruise. I will try to get him on a twice a week feed schedule as well. Do you ever dust the wax worms?View attachment 338309
So I dust everything with the exception of bsfl. They have a great phosphorus to calcium ratio. So they do not have to be supplemented to balance the phosphorus.

So with your supplements. The blue flukers calcium without D3 that would be the one you would use most as your calcium without D3. The red one does not have preformed vitamin A. Which has not been proven to be an issue but it also has not been proven that they can convert beta carotene to usable vitamin A. Most of us will use a multivitamin with A and D3 to use 2 times a month. I recommend repashy calcium plus LoD version for this.

If you got this multivitamin then you would not use the red or green containers you have now.

So if you are feeding 2 times a week your schedule would be calcium without D3 at all feedings but then you would use the Repashy Calcium plus LoD version multivitamin 2 times a month instead of the plain calcium. Most of us use a 1st and the 15th schedule so it is easy to remember.

I am not saying it is for sure a bruise... But it looks like that to me. Keep an eye on it. When you return you may need to take him into a good reptile vet.

Looks like the plants are struggling a bit. You might swap them out for some healthier plants. Could be lack of plant lighting making them fail to thrive.

I wish I had an answer for you about the mark on the chin…does it look like blood?
not really. It almost looks like the one scale is peeling off and there’s a spot of rot or darkness. Im not sure.. never seen something like that before. I’m probably nit picking but want to make sure to catch anything before it’s a problem.

So I dust everything with the exception of bsfl. They have a great phosphorus to calcium ratio. So they do not have to be supplemented to balance the phosphorus.

So with your supplements. The blue flukers calcium without D3 that would be the one you would use most as your calcium without D3. The red one does not have preformed vitamin A. Which has not been proven to be an issue but it also has not been proven that they can convert beta carotene to usable vitamin A. Most of us will use a multivitamin with A and D3 to use 2 times a month. I recommend repashy calcium plus LoD version for this.

If you got this multivitamin then you would not use the red or green containers you have now.

So if you are feeding 2 times a week your schedule would be calcium without D3 at all feedings but then you would use the Repashy Calcium plus LoD version multivitamin 2 times a month instead of the plain calcium. Most of us use a 1st and the 15th schedule so it is easy to remember.

I am not saying it is for sure a bruise... But it looks like that to me. Keep an eye on it. When you return you may need to take him into a good reptile vet.

Looks like the plants are struggling a bit. You might swap them out for some healthier plants. Could be lack of plant lighting making them fail to thrive.
Thank you! I will definitely get that when I return.

Yes, unfortunately I seem to have a black thumb. There’s one plant light now but I need to get more!

Thanks for all the insight, I appreciate and it will make me feel better being away getting a few experienced eyes on it before I have to go.

Thank you! I will definitely get that when I return.

Yes, unfortunately I seem to have a black thumb. There’s one plant light now but I need to get more!

Thanks for all the insight, I appreciate and it will make me feel better being away getting a few experienced eyes on it before I have to go.
Look into the arcadia jungle dawn bar... It will support the fancier plants better. Pothos are the only plants I have had that seem to thrive no matter what you do to them. They tolerate low light as well.

Back
Top Bottom