Dark Pygmy Cham

WombatZombat

I recently acquired a group of R. brevicaudata from a petshop that had them labelled as R. kertenii. Same shop advised they were too young to sex but I managed to sex 4 and took a chance with the 5th believing it may be female.

After getting them I placed 1.2 in 1 30x30x30 exo terra, and 1.1 in another 30x30x30 exo terra. Both exo's are well planted with a deep substrate, 73F, 70% humidity, mist once in morning and once in evening, external humidifier feeds into tanks with 5mm tubing and I switch this on periodically for 5 mins at a time to maintain the humidity. I have covered half the mesh top with perspex to maintain humidity. A UV-A tube is positioned about 4-5" above the exo's flush with the back so that it only lights up about 50% of the height of the exo's (have seen the pygmies occasionly climb onto mesh to bask under light).

After realising the uncertain female was male (it was clearly intimidated by the other male), I removed it and placed it in its own exo terra, set up in the same fashion (his colours have now picked up).

I've since noticed that one of the females is very dark. Believing she may not be comfortable with the male she was with, this afternoon I removed her and placed her in the same exo as the other male-female group. I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing, she is still dark and shortly after placing her in the exo she climbed to the front and is now sat in the corner up to the glass on top of the vent strip.

Other than isolate her to see if she brightens up I'm not sure what else I could do. She was eating curly flies fine earlier so there's nothing wrong with her appetite.

Has anyone else successful dealt with this before?

I had one that I thought was female that ended up being male. My 1.2 group ousted him from the group and even though I removed him from the cage he still died. I would say that if your female is still eating to let her be for now.

Her colours are looking better today, she's now a dark green colour so it looks like regrouping her may have been the right decision afterall.

DSCI0135.jpg

Back
Top Bottom