Dark colors

Gus Gieg

Hi, I recently purchased a young veiled chameleon, I am experienced with pet keeping. I have had and do have frogs that are healthy now, but I am new to reptiles. I went out of town for about a week and as far as I know, the pet sitter did an ok job, but I have noticed he's been consistently dark for the hours I have been home, and a bit thin. The color is sort of dark brown/green. One of my theories is that he didn't get a good misting job while I was gone, or worse just sick. I would really appreciate some help if anyone knows about this. Thank you.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the enclosure but it's large enough I know
His basking temps are about 90 degrees Fahrenheit
I mist him until he stops drinking 3-4 times a day (I've also noticed he drinks out of pooling water in the bottom of the cage sometimes, which I know isn't right.)
Sorry for the bad image quality, I took it backwards on my laptop.
IMG_20190421_200743.jpg

Hi there and welcome. Please fill this out in detail and provide additional pictures of your cage lights down and of your cham.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Young veiled chameleon to small to sex, but I believe it may be female. 6-7 months old, I have had it for around a month.
I very rarely handle him/her as it's been pretty grumpy since I got him/her
For a while, I only fed it mealworms, but I recently learned that was incorrect to do so. I now give it mostly gut-loaded crickets.
I dust the crickets from time to time but not with a system
I have a dripper, and I mist 3-4 times a day, Sometimes I run a fogger for a few minutes a night.
He has been pooping, for a while when I only fed worms his poop wasn't as healthy, its been improving though.
I don't know anything about the chameleon before I purchased it.

The cage is a screen reptibreeze, I don't know the exact dimensions but I know its the right size
I have a UV light and a 75-watt heat bulb
The basking temp is around 90 degrees and below the cage, it stays between 70-80 degrees.
The humidity stays around 40-50-60, it's a pretty wide range but it jumps around when I mist.
I have one live plant, it's a braided money tree, and there are a few artificial plants
It's in my room next to my bed a few feet from my window
I live in NC and its been pretty war lately.

I am concerned with the dark coloration on my chameleon.

Thanks so much.

Young veiled chameleon to small to sex, but I believe it may be female. 6-7 months old, I have had it for around a month.
For a while, I only fed it mealworms, but I recently learned that was incorrect to do so. I now give it mostly gut-loaded crickets.
I have a dripper, and I mist 3-4 times a day, Sometimes I run a fogger for a few minutes a night.
He has been pooping, for a while when I only fed worms his poop wasn't as healthy, its been improving though.

The cage is a screen reptibreeze, I don't know the exact dimensions but I know its the right size
The basking temp is around 90 degrees and below the cage, it stays between 70-80 degrees.
The humidity stays around 40-50-60, it's a pretty wide range but it jumps around when I mist.
I have one live plant, it's a braided money tree, and there are a few artificial plants

Thanks so much.

Please post pics of your cham. He/she is not too young to sex. Try to get a good clear photo of the back feet, specifically the heels.

What type of UV light do you have? Can you post a picture.

Thanks so much.
1) veileds are never too young to sex. You're looking for a tarsal spur on the back of the back feet. If there's no spur it's a female and you'll need a 12x12 laybin for her. Females are like chickens and lay infertile clutches of eggs.
2) variety is key with feeders. Also what are you gutloading with? Dusting of feeders should be calcium with no D3 everyday, multivitamin 2x a month, and calcium + D3 2x a month.
3) what's the urates look like? The white part of the poo should be milky white. A little yellow or orange is acceptable but shoot for white. It means your Cham is hydrating. Also you should look into getting a fecal done for parasites.
4) you don't know the dimensions but you know it's the right size??? Veilds male or female deserve at least a 2x2x4 enclosure.
5) what size, watt, brand, and type of UVB bulb do you have?
6) dark coloration usually means they're cold and trying to warm up. Could also be your adults coloring? Pictures would help.

IMG_0577.jpg
here is the full enclosure, I got hissed at while taking the photo, just for opening the cage.

Last edited:
Today I gave the girl more water, she is still a bit dark but definitely brighter, I'm adding more sticks now and I will look into getting more plants, do you guys know any plants available and safe for chameleons?

Thank you guys so much, if I need help again I definitely know where to come!

Back
Top Bottom