Dark Coloring

AdamJB

Hey all Ive had my veiled cham for about 4 months or so now. He's active, eating/drinking and growing well but what concerns me the most is his coloring. Most of the time he is a dark kinda ugly brownish green. Except at night when hes asleep he get pretty green with bright yellow bars.

Is this normal?

Adam,

What are the basking, ambient, and lowest temps in the enclosure?
Is it screen? how big is the enclosure? How old is your veiled?

-Brad

He's in a screen enclosure that measures 18X19X36 basking temp is 91 ambient ranges from 75-80 lowest temp is maybe 71 at night. And he is approx 9 mo's

Providing your husbandry is sound and he's eating, drinking and active, it could be very normal. At 8+ months, he is still maturing, so may take even a few more months before he fully develops his adult patterns/colors. Even then, when he's fully matured, his calm (normal) colors may still be dull green/brown with dull bars. The bright green/yellow colors of sleeping are normal, too. You generally won't see those unless he's sleeping or displaying in response to stress/threat.

Most of the time he is dark regardless where he is in the cage. But every so often I catch him in his cricket catching spot and he's brighter. I just didnt know if it was normal for veileds.

Back
Top Bottom