dark chameleon

hi there, i have a veiled chameleon, she is a few months old and i’ve had her for two months now. there is an issue i can’t seem to understand, she is always dark brown in her tank but light green when she sleeps or when i handle her. her humidity and temp is good, she has the lights she needs, she has food and eats everyday without a problem, but i’m not sure why she’s always dark. i have a glass tank for her but it is too small now so i will be getting a bigger one. does anyone have any ideas on how i can solve this?

image.jpg

she is only this dark in her tank but really light green when handling or asleep

View attachment 275833
she is only this dark in her tank but really light green when handling or asleep
They will lighten when they are too warm or comfortable, stressed, or sleeping. They will get dark to absorb heat. If an enclosure is not set up properly this will also cause them stress and I have seen them go almost black when stressed.

Can you post a pic of the entire cage lighting down?

They will lighten when they are too warm or comfortable, stressed, or sleeping. They will get dark to absorb heat. If an enclosure is not set up properly this will also cause them stress and I have seen them go almost black when stressed.

Can you post a pic of the entire cage lighting down?
THere are multiple issues going on. The enclosure is WAY too small and the lighting is incorrect... This is an extremely stress out chameleon. What are you feeding her?
i was actually planning on buying her a new tank but i don’t know what size or if it should be glass or mesh, i feed her mealworms (both alive and dried) and i feed her large crickets, i also dust the calcium powder on them. how do i fix the lighting?

i was actually planning on buying her a new tank but i don’t know what size or if it should be glass or mesh, i feed her mealworms (both alive and dried) and i feed her large crickets, i also dust the calcium powder on them. how do i fix the lighting?
No dead feeders at all and never mealworms. Enclosure would be a 2x2x4 screen enclosure. can you please fill out this entire form with as much detail as possible. This way we have all the information to help you.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

No dead feeders at all and never mealworms. Enclosure would be a 2x2x4 screen enclosure. can you please fill out this entire form with as much detail as possible. This way we have all the information to help you.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Veiled chameleon, female, a little over two months, a couple months old. i handle her 3 times a week at most or when she lets me. i feed her about 6 large cockers a day (3 at 1:00 and 3 at 6-7:00) i also feed her mealworms. i use the repti calcium and i put it when i give her food. i have a mister that’s on a timer for every hour and it goes off for 15 seconds, yes i do see her drinking the water. her droppings seem to be normal, they aren’t dry which i heard means they are hydrated. i got her from petco, she wasn’t that small when i got her, she changes from dark brown to light green or with spots and has yellow stripes. i have a glass tank for her that has a mesh top and holes in the door area. i then bother her lights on at 9:40 am and then turn it off at 9:40 pm, i have the brand zilla for her lights and one is a blue halogen day light. the temp is at 80F and my humidity is at 70%, i have a meter to measure this. i have two vines and two fake plants in there, her tank is on top of a table far from any vents/fans.

Veiled chameleon, female, a little over two months, a couple months old. i handle her 3 times a week at most or when she lets me. i feed her about 6 large cockers a day (3 at 1:00 and 3 at 6-7:00) i also feed her mealworms. i use the repti calcium and i put it when i give her food. i have a mister that’s on a timer for every hour and it goes off for 15 seconds, yes i do see her drinking the water. her droppings seem to be normal, they aren’t dry which i heard means they are hydrated. i got her from petco, she wasn’t that small when i got her, she changes from dark brown to light green or with spots and has yellow stripes. i have a glass tank for her that has a mesh top and holes in the door area. i then bother her lights on at 9:40 am and then turn it off at 9:40 pm, i have the brand zilla for her lights and one is a blue halogen day light. the temp is at 80F and my humidity is at 70%, i have a meter to measure this. i have two vines and two fake plants in there, her tank is on top of a table far from any vents/fans.
i meant 6 large crickets*

Please take pictures of the supplements you use for me. I will go through your form if no one else has but I wont be for another hour or so. There is a ton that will need to be changed.
Please start reading through every module in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

@AmandaS @MissSkittles @Ares05 Would any of you be able to assist here?

View attachment 275833
Rhe tank is terribly equipped
Mossy vines and fake plants are deadly dangerous

the xage seems to jave no live plants and dark walls resembling a cave and almost no branches to crawl. What do you expet froma n anomal zhat lives high in the canopies if trees how it will feel in such environment? Badly
This is why she is sark beown

The care is wrong in many aspects and this is extremely bad for her welfare

Veiled chameleon, female, a little over two months, a couple months old. i handle her 3 times a week at most or when she lets me. i feed her about 6 large cockers a day (3 at 1:00 and 3 at 6-7:00) i also feed her mealworms.

about 6times too much!!! She will die of onesity

i use the repti calcium and i put it when i give her food.

thisnis NOT enough by far!
plain calcium
Bee pollen
DAILY
CALCIUM WITH D3
Multivitamin
FORTIGHTLY

i have a mister that’s on a timer for every hour and it goes off for 15 seconds, yes i do see her drinking the water.

TERRIBLY TOO MUCH

her droppings seem to be normal, they aren’t dry which i heard means they are hydrated.

THEY SHOULD BE DRY

i got her from petco, she wasn’t that small when i got her, she changes from dark brown to light green or with spots and has yellow stripes. i have a glass tank for her that has a mesh top and holes in the door area.

GLASS
TAMK IS TOO
SMALL
i then bother her lights on at 9:40 am and then turn it off at 9:40 pm, i have the brand zilla for her lights and one is a blue halogen day light. A

Th times are not ideal as she will
Wake up mich esrlier die to ligjt from outside
This is why she sjould jave 12

the temp is at 80F and my humidity is at 70%,

ANSOLUTELY WRONG, this will kill her
80 is jist a maximum basking temp
Nighttime temos shoul bde 60s

himidity should be 40
And less at
Daytime and -100 with fog at night

i have a meter to measure this. i have two vines and two fake plants in there, her tank is on top of a table far from any vents/fans.

Veiled chameleon, female, a little over two months, a couple months old. i handle her 3 times a week at most or when she lets me. i feed her about 6 large cockers a day (3 at 1:00 and 3 at 6-7:00)
-Feeding should be in the morning to allow for proper digestion while basking. At this age should be eating more, from 10 to 15 feeders.

i also feed her mealworms.
-Please stop using mealworms. They are high in chitin and can cause an impaction.

-You will need to supplement with calcium without D3 six days a week and on the 7th day rotate between calcium with D3 and a multivitamin like reptivite without D3.

i have a mister that’s on a timer for every hour and it goes off for 15 seconds, yes i do see her drinking the water.
-Recommended misting is twice a day, for about 2 to 5 min, depending on your humidity needs.

her droppings seem to be normal, they aren’t dry which i heard means they are hydrated.
-You can tell hydration from the urate, which should be creamy white.

i got her from petco, she wasn’t that small when i got her, she changes from dark brown to light green or with spots and has yellow stripes.
i have a glass tank for her that has a mesh top and holes in the door area.
-Like mentioned above the enclosure is way too small. Minimum size requirements are 2x2x4, and mesh is usually recommended.

i then bother her lights on at 9:40 am and then turn it off at 9:40 pm, i have the brand zilla for her lights and one is a blue halogen day light.
-you will need a T5HO linear uvb bulb from reptisun or arcadia. Reptisun should be 5.0 and arcadia 6%, which ever you decide to get.

the temp is at 80F and my humidity is at 70%, i have a meter to measure this.
-Humidity is very high for the day, it should be around 40 to 50% and at night it can be higher than that.

i have two vines and two fake plants in there, her tank is on top of a table far from any vents/fans.
-Fake plants are not recommended due to risk of impaction. Real plants are the best way to go.

I'm not too experienced but I believe I've given you the right info until a more experienced member can revise your husbandry.

The care is wrong in many aspects and this is extremely bad for her welfare

Veiled chameleon, female, a little over two months, a couple months old. i handle her 3 times a week at most or when she lets me. i feed her about 6 large cockers a day (3 at 1:00 and 3 at 6-7:00) i also feed her mealworms.

about 6times too much!!! She will die of onesity

thisnis NOT enough by far!
plain calcium
Bee pollen
DAILY
CALCIUM WITH D3
Multivitamin
FORTIGHTLY

TERRIBLY TOO MUCH

THEY SHOULD BE DRY

i got her from petco, she wasn’t that small when i got her, she changes from dark brown to light green or with spots and has yellow stripes. i have a glass tank for her that has a mesh top and holes in the door area.

GLASS
TAMK IS TOO
SMALL
i then bother her lights on at 9:40 am and then turn it off at 9:40 pm, i have the brand zilla for her lights and one is a blue halogen day light. A

Th times are not ideal as she will
Wake up mich esrlier die to ligjt from outside
This is why she sjould jave 12

the temp is at 80F and my humidity is at 70%,

ANSOLUTELY WRONG, this will kill her
80 is jist a maximum basking temp
Nighttime temos shoul bde 60s

himidity should be 40
And less at
Daytime and -100 with fog at night

i have a meter to measure this. i have two vines and two fake plants in there, her tank is on top of a table far from any vents/fans.
i really didn’t know i was doing these things wrong, i checked with my local pet shop to see if i was doing it rigjt and they told me i was! my humidity was usualy around 50 but they told me i needed to raise it, they also told me mealworms are good and gave me the calcium powder i have and said yo use it when giving food, they also said that they tank was good for a few more months and that everything in there is fine, and what type of tank do you recommend and how many crickets should i be feeding her daily, also what should the situation be regarding the meal worms

i really didn’t know i was doing these things wrong, i checked with my local pet shop to see if i was doing it rigjt and they told me i was! my humidity was usualy around 50 but they told me i needed to raise it, they also told me mealworms are good and gave me the calcium powder i have and said yo use it when giving food, they also said that they tank was good for a few more months and that everything in there is fine, and what type of tank do you recommend and how many crickets should i be feeding her daily, also what should the situation be regarding the meal worms
I understand you were given the wrong info at the petstore. They usually don't know much about chameleons. This site is full of experienced keepers and I would take their advice over a pet store employee. The mealworms should be stopped altogether. You can feed crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, also known as calciworms, and as treats you can feed hornworms, superworms, and waxworms. As for cage recommendation the reptibreeze xl is relatively cheap and is the required measurement of 2x2x4. You should be feeding about 10 to 15 crickets if that is all you are going to be feeding for now. At this age they eat a lot.

Back
Top Bottom