dangerous for my cham?

Johnny909

Hello

Is there a danger of my 5 months 2 week old cham chocking if i give him a large hornworm? I got a batch of hornworms saturday and i cant control the growing speed, its insane! Im pissed cause they are exspensive in my area and will all go to waste!

refridge them to slow them down. Which is more important your Chameleon of some expensive food? If in doubt you'd much rather have your Panther then some green ugly worms.

Yes, if the diameter of the worm is close to the diameter of your cham's throat it could easily choke on it since they swallow it whole and don't tear their food into smaller pieces. People's chams have died from choking on feeders. Hornworms grow incredibly fast. Next time maybe try silkworms or butterworms? Butterworms don't grow if you keep in the fridge, you don't have to feed or clean them and they are great feeders to use!

Hello

Is there a danger of my 5 months 2 week old cham chocking if i give him a large hornworm? I got a batch of hornworms saturday and i cant control the growing speed, its insane! Im pissed cause they are exspensive in my area and will all go to waste!

You answered the question in your original post.

But yes, it is dangerous for you to feed your chameleon prey that is too large. It could choke it, and cause it to die.

LPR08

yes it is dangerous and they can choke. If you are in doubt about the size then don't chance it. As far as the growth for the future you can also remove them from the food like every other day or so. They will not die without food so just restrict them from the food and they will not grow as quick

Ok, he does eat silk worms but does not respond to butters or supers, i got him all this fancy food he wont eat :s, not to mention the special food i got for the critters , 50 dollar lesson lol

Thanks for the quick reaponse, im glad i didnt leave in the cage. I hear hornworms are a top notch feeder!

Perfect excuse to buy some more lizards mate! :) I tell my wife Im saving cash by having 'too many' snakes, since if one dosent eat, another will, no waste. :)

I give leftover feeders to my baby box turtles. They take down hornworms as long as their whole little bodies! Of course they rip them to shreds before they eat them so I don't have to worry about them. I think their whole little body in their shell is stomach...there's no room for other organs with the amounts that these tiny ravenous things can put away!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always try giving it to him. If he looks like he is having a hard time getting it down, pull it out for him. I would crush the jaws first though.

For future reference, will an adult male ambilobe eat a maxed out hornworm? Since i cant give them to him i am having fun to see how fat I can get them, one if the is almost the size if my finger! I feed the a brownish color gelly made just for hornworms

My growth retarded male can eat them. He's like 13 or so inches long, a little over 100 grams in weight. He just happens to squeeze more of the bug-gut-juice out than, say, my 200 gram veiled.

Back
Top Bottom