Dang House Flies!

Syn

Avid Member
There are some flies that are getting into my chameleon's cage and not getting out. They are attracted to his UVB light for some reason..

(Speaking of house flies, there are like 30 in the house right now, and I have no idea where they are coming from)

I caught him shooting at one and eating it, and the others that are outside his cage are driving him nuts, and he keeps shooting at them, I'm scared he's going to hurt himself!

I'll check back on this thread later, hopefully there will be a ton of replies when I get back. :(

Cant do much but try to catch them and add them inside for him :) We're just getting rid of ours as its approaching winter here now, but through summer they never stop and you never work out how the bastards get in either. :D
Fortunately during summer/autumn, homer was growing fast and loving them, I couldnt catch enough!
So it wasnt too bad, except for a week or so after I accidently hatched some fly pupae I bought because it rained the week before and you couldnt find any. Hundreds ended up free in our home and my wife and daughters were none to happy. :)
Give him plenty to zap in his cage and it wont bother him much. If hes zapping, he has an appetite imo. :)

Move his cage where he isnt around the flys. House flys are great if theyre cultured, but wild ones, you dont know how much dog poop they chilled out on before your cham got them. Parasites anyone?

The UV light attracts them Nic :)
I was more thinking of extra crickets or whatever to keep the cham fed so its not as inclined to strike at flys on the outside.
Im of opinion the odd few flies wont hurt it though regardless. If the flys encourage its active hunting, its a bonus, let it eat aswell as its willing. If its strikes because its hungry, it will strike at whatever is in the cage while its at it.

The UV light attracts them Nic :)
Thanks for telling him that - yeah I don't understand, why does the UV attract them? For some odd reason there was 3 in there today, I have no idea how they're getting in, but they are.

Anyways, he's already eaten at least one, so should I schedule a vet visit? :\

I wouldn't worry about scheduling an appointment for just eating one fly. It would be a slim chance of him getting sick. Also, since you happen to have a lot of flies in your house all at once, there is a good chance a lone fly came in your house a couple weeks ago and deposited her eggs somewhere. If the flies have been in your house since birth, they probably have not been exposed to any chemicals, or dog poop.

Lance

Lance

Thanks Lance, I'm trying to find the source of these little buggers.

No luck yet. What should I be looking for?

Move his cage where he isnt around the flys. House flys are great if theyre cultured, but wild ones, you dont know how much dog poop they chilled out on before your cham got them. Parasites anyone?

if they keep coming from inside he house i doubt she has piles of crap laying around inside. that being said i am having the same problem with gnats, or little fruit flys that have taken up residence in on of his plants, and and the water that might stand in the tub under his tank. the water in the tub was an easy fix i just added bleach to the water and saw a huge drop in amount now there are just a few rouge gnats or what ever they are.

check you plant soil move it around and look for maggots

Soil is covered with paper towels with seran wrap on top, ever since my last gnat problem I've been weary. Still looking for the source!

Oh, and yea lol, I have piles of poo all over my house! :D

Oh, and yea lol, I have piles of poo all over my house! :D

Well now that we know where the flies came from, we know how to get rid of them...;)

You can make a homemade fly trap with a 2 liter soda bottle, and catch the rest, google it, theres like 5000 different ones. I made one a while back with a 2 liter bottle and a chunk of bean burrito. Funny thing was all the flies I got were wearing sombreros!

-Jay

Well now that we know where the flies came from, we know how to get rid of them...;)

You can make a homemade fly trap with a 2 liter soda bottle, and catch the rest, google it, theres like 5000 different ones. I made one a while back with a 2 liter bottle and a chunk of bean burrito. Funny thing was all the flies I got were wearing sombreros!

-Jay

We've tried that and fly tape, I think they're too smart.

Sadly, there are no sombreros on these guys.

Possibly the uv attracts them because like other insects they see ultraviolet light waves of different spectrums (its how they identify flowers). I suspect insects are attracted to artificial lightsources, particularly those that output uv because the mistake it for the sun
or possibly moonlight in the case of moths?
Just my guess :)

On the other hand maybe its not the lighting, insects also seek out sources of moisture!

Or maybe they just flew in for a siesta eh Jay? :)

I enjoy house flies... One of Darci’s things to do in the summer when we get a few flies buzzing around the house is to chase them down with the fly swatter. This is highly entertaining!

Get some carnivorous plants! I picked up a venus, butterwort, and pitcher plant and I havent had as bad of fruit fly issue as I did last year..Its still early yet but Im hopeful!!

I enjoy house flies... One of Darci’s things to do in the summer when we get a few flies buzzing around the house is to chase them down with the fly swatter. This is highly entertaining!

I don't understand what is so entertaining about this dear...all I'm trying to do is rid our house of all the flies!! They get everywhere and it's sooo annoying! LoL (Chad thinks it's just soooooo hilarious b/c I stand there with a fly swatter for like an hour and kill every fly I see in the house!) But ya, the chameleons do love the flies so we enjoy feeding them. :)

I don't understand what is so entertaining about this dear...all I'm trying to do is rid our house of all the flies!! They get everywhere and it's sooo annoying! LoL (Chad thinks it's just soooooo hilarious b/c I stand there with a fly swatter for like an hour and kill every fly I see in the house!) But ya, the chameleons do love the flies so we enjoy feeding them. :)

My dog chases them..drives him nuts and I have doggy nose prints halfway up the wall from him trying to eat them. LOL! (gotta love silly Great danes!)

Back
Top Bottom