Dalmatian like spots

ambxrlxnn

So I have a veiled chameleon who is between 1 year and 2 years old. I got him 5 days ago. He has been drinking water but refuses to eat anything. I ordered some new food (calciworms and waxworms) hopefully that will work. I use 15 inch tweezers (the person who had him before me used 15 inch tweezers) I tried a feeding cup and my hand nothing works. So if anyone has tips on how to get him to eat that'd be appreciated also!
However since I just got him, I was updating his enclosure with a new vine like plant that I figured he would enjoy. When I put the plant in the image is how he turned. What does this mean? I took the plant out but before getting rid of it I want to know if he just doesn't like the plant or if it's something different.

Attachments

• ED1345C6-7FB7-4A55-B3B2-AF6847AFEAFD.jpeg
    ED1345C6-7FB7-4A55-B3B2-AF6847AFEAFD.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 99
So I have a veiled chameleon who is between 1 year and 2 years old. I got him 5 days ago. He has been drinking water but refuses to eat anything. I ordered some new food (calciworms and waxworms) hopefully that will work. I use 15 inch tweezers (the person who had him before me used 15 inch tweezers) I tried a feeding cup and my hand nothing works. So if anyone has tips on how to get him to eat that'd be appreciated also!
However since I just got him, I was updating his enclosure with a new vine like plant that I figured he would enjoy. When I put the plant in the image is how he turned. What does this mean? I took the plant out but before getting rid of it I want to know if he just doesn't like the plant or if it's something different.
You have a female chameleon...a very pretty one.

I’d really like if you could fill this out so that your husbandry can be reviewed. If things aren’t just right for females, they can have serious problems with their egg laying. If you could include pics of your entire enclosure, that would also be a huge help. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’d really like if you could fill this out so that your husbandry can be reviewed. If things aren’t just right for females, they can have serious problems with their egg laying. If you could include pics of your entire enclosure, that would also be a huge help. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
I will fill that out in one second but before I do so I would like to address what you said about laying eggs, could my chameleon be pregnant? As I said I've only had her 4 days and I'm completely surprised if that's the case

Well you got yourself a pretty girl there. Now you might want to look into getting a lay bin ready for when she starts popping out those eggs.
as im so new to chameleons i'm not sure i understand. When she was given to us we were told she was a male so i have done zero research on female chameleons. she's never been near other chameleons do chameleons lay eggs like chickens or is she about to have babies?

as im so new to chameleons i'm not sure i understand. When she was given to us we were told she was a male so i have done zero research on female chameleons. she's never been near other chameleons do chameleons lay eggs like chickens or is she about to have babies?
She will lay infertile eggs like chickens do. You will need to look up how to make a laybin which we have directions here on the forums and put it in her enclosure. When she becomse Gravid which means she'll be laying her eggs she will need a place to go and dig a hole to lay them in.

She's stressed out, probably by the new environment. Mine turned those colors the first time she saw my boyfriend ? The new plant probably just spooked her.

She doesn't appear to be as old as you were told, though. She looks really small compared to the screen & fake plant, and her normal pattern isn't very evident. But definitely acquaint yourself with female care :)

So, this is why I’d like for your husbandry to be reviewed. You don’t know what you don’t know. :)

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female and between 1 and 2 years old. She has been in my care for 4 days.
  • Handling - 1 time so far
  • Feeding - She has not eaten since we've had her. we tried mealworms, crickets (dead and alive) and a variety of vegetables. Before we had her she was eating calciworms and wax-worms which are being delivered tonight.
  • Watering - A dripper, a water spray bottle and a humidifier. I have seen her drinking once a day so far.
  • Fecal Description - She has not been tested for parasites, and her feces is solid and light brown.
  • History - She was housed with another chameleon. The person we got her from told us she was a male and was housed with a male but now that I know she is a female I'm not sure about the chameleon she was housed with.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - It's a screen cage, she also has some trees around the room if she wants to leave the cage and wander. The cage is 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 1/2 feet.
  • Lighting - I'm not sure what the model is but it's a zoomed kit for lighting. The lights are on from 7/8 am to 8/9 pm.
  • Temperature - Cage floor is 72, basking is 84. Lowest temp at night so far has been 63. We have three thermometers. One on the floor, one at the same height as her basking area and one in the middle near her ladder (which she often hangs out on)
  • Plants - Right now she has both live and fake plants, The fake plants are being in the process of being switched to real plants. We have a bamboo plant, and a fern plant for her. As well as a twisty tree stump and a bamboo ladder.
  • Placement - The bottom of the cage is about 3 feet off the ground. She is next to a window in the corner of the room and not in a high traffic area unless we are going over to see her.
  • Location - Portland, Oregon

Back
Top Bottom