D3 overdose? Help

ImThatGingerBoi

I thought it was stress at first but now I’m not sure, it may be a parasite or d3 overdose I don’t know anything about d3 overdoses at all though im going to have him seen by a vet hopefully sometime soon, here’s some pics, first is before the rest are after if you know what’s up plz let me know.
A69866EC-A58A-4E86-9315-CF008EA9A71A.jpeg
67018A7E-B859-482F-92E9-B44B191A35D6.jpeg
9F9B436F-AA5E-4095-927C-CFB57EEB9265.jpeg
38F4D130-C2FE-44AF-8396-4A7D9132A37C.jpeg

Like I said at first I thought he was just stressed but now I think he either has a parasite or d3 overdose, but I don’t know what to look for in a d3 overdose

You didn't say what the problem is, though. Why do you think something is wrong? What behavior is he displaying that has you concerned?
And also, if you don't know anything about D3 overdose, then why did that come to your mind so readily?

You didn't say what the problem is, though. Why do you think something is wrong? What behavior is he displaying that has you concerned?
And also, if you don't know anything about D3 overdose, then why did that come to your mind so readily?
Yes clearly that’s why I put the before and after pictures so you could tell he looks dull in color and not as plump. I jumped to a d3 overdose BECAUSE I don’t know anything about it, I’m asking what it looks like and how to look for it, I have calcium with d3 and I gave him it a few times before realizing THATS why. Please instead of ridiculing help.

Your Chameleon - verrucosus chameleon age 1 year 9 months been in my care 1 year. Male
Handling - I almost never handle him unless absolutely necessary. The people who had him before me never held him and tamed him down so instead of stressing him out and trying every day-week I let him be.
Feeding - crickets, dubia roaches and super worms sometimes along with the occasional hornworm, I feed him everyday and because he’s so big he often eats 10-sometimes 15 crickets.
Supplements - he gets calcium powder with d3 once in a while
Watering - I have a 1 gallon watering dripper that runs all day. I spray 2-3 times a day for about 1-2 minutes, and no I’ve never seen him drink he’s a shy eater and drinker and doesn’t like to do it while there is someone watching him, however if he seems dehydrated if I mist and refill his dripper he noticeably perks up.
Fecal Description - Everything looks normal no inconsistency’s and no strange discoloring. His color seems a bit dull and I’m not sure why or how to fix it. No he’s never been tested for parasites.
History - From what the vendor at the reptile expo said, he used to be a breeder but never got along with the females so the females bit off some of his tale he was never handled and do to his past he bacame a bit aggressive.

Cage Info: 16 x 16 x 30
Cage Type - Zoo med repti breeze large
Lighting - zoo med duel lamp with uvb and uva lighting 12 hours on 12 hours total darkness
Temperature - I also haven’t been able to check the temperatures recently with the move because I have his thermometer elsewhere. I’ll see as soon as I get it.
Humidity - I mist him 2-3 times a day and he has a dropper and water bowl to maintain humidity I haven’t measured the exact level as of recent.
Plants - no live plants yet I’m ultimately hoping to have a slight and/or fully bioactive enclosure. If there’s a list of recommended or safe plants don’t hesitate to let me know!
Placement - as of current he’s on a tub that elevates him
Location - Minnesota

Your Chameleon - verrucosus chameleon age 1 year 9 months been in my care 1 year. Male Cage Info: 16 x 16 x 30
Cage Type - Zoo med repti breeze large
Lighting - zoo med duel lamp with uvb and uva lighting 12 hours on 12 hours total darkness
Temperature - I also haven’t been able to check the temperatures recently with the move because I have his thermometer elsewhere. I’ll see as soon as I get it.
Humidity - I mist him 2-3 times a day and he has a dropper and water bowl to maintain humidity I haven’t measured the exact level as of recent.
Plants - no live plants yet I’m ultimately hoping to have a slight and/or fully bioactive enclosure. If there’s a list of recommended or safe plants don’t hesitate to let me know!
Placement - as of current he’s on a tub that elevates him
Location - Minnesota

Yikes, very defensive there, sorry for asking for clarification in order to try to help. I don't see anything strange about the colors. It's a chameleon, so they vary considerably throughout the day and over time in general. The only real comments I have is that that cage is way too small for an adult verrucosus and offering D3 "once in a while" is not a good way to supplement creatures as delicate as chameleons. This should be highly regimented and you should know exactly how often to supplement

I found this blog entry with an unofficial care sheet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/furcifer-verrucosus-care-sheet.388/ The supplement schedule is said to be like a panther chameleons. If that is the case it would be like this:
"Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks."
Since I don't know how often you mean by occasionally I don't know if you have over done it. I would get on to a regular schedule as quickly as possible.

Yikes, very defensive there, sorry for asking for clarification in order to try to help. I don't see anything strange about the colors. It's a chameleon, so they vary considerably throughout the day and over time in general. The only real comments I have is that that cage is way too small for an adult verrucosus and offering D3 "once in a while" is not a good way to supplement creatures as delicate as chameleons. This should be highly regimented and you should know exactly how often to supplement
I’m not surprised YOU don’t see anything wrong with his color, he’s not your chameleon so you don’t know how he looks when he’s normal, I do and I’ve noticed somethings off so that’s why I’m asking for help. I am aware his cage is small I never said I wasn’t upgrading it. As for “once in a while” yes I have a strict regimen and keep track but quite obviously I’m worried and panicked, so im not going to write down his entire life history I’m just looking for help maybe instead of saying “he obviously needs a bigger cage” and “that’s no way to track and take care of him” actually provide what I’m asking for, help in THIS particular situation, the rest isn’t a hard fix. If you can provide some insight into what I’m actually worried about let me know.

I’m not surprised YOU don’t see anything wrong with his color, he’s not your chameleon so you don’t know how he looks when he’s normal, I do and I’ve noticed somethings off so that’s why I’m asking for help. I am aware his cage is small I never said I wasn’t upgrading it. As for “once in a while” yes I have a strict regimen and keep track but quite obviously I’m worried and panicked, so im not going to write down his entire life history I’m just looking for help maybe instead of saying “he obviously needs a bigger cage” and “that’s no way to track and take care of him” actually provide what I’m asking for, help in THIS particular situation, the rest isn’t a hard fix. If you can provide some insight into what I’m actually worried about let me know.
Which was exactly why they were asking you for more insight on what exactly you find abnormal about your chameleon's behavior. You know him. If you are going to be defensive and get offended by every little observation people here are making that could affect your chameleon's well being, people here will stop trying to help you. Remember, you came here asking for help.

Which was exactly why they were asking you for more insight on what exactly you find abnormal about your chameleon's behavior. You know him. If you are going to be defensive and get offended by every little observation people here are making that could affect your chameleon's well being, people here will stop trying to help you. Remember, you came here asking for help.
Obviously I’m defensive. I’m worried for his well being. I DO take very good care of him but something as simple as not providing exact dates and then being told “that’s not how to care for him” makes me offended I don’t want anything bad to happen to him, and yes I will except help, but I don’t feel being told I need a bigger cage and not being specific enough about one thing is very much help. I do apologize for how I have been, I’m just concerned. Thank you very much

Obviously I’m defensive. I’m worried for his well being. I DO take very good care of him but something as simple as not providing exact dates and then being told “that’s not how to care for him” makes me offended I don’t want anything bad to happen to him, and yes I will except help, but I don’t feel being told I need a bigger cage and not being specific enough about one thing is very much help. I do apologize for how I have been, I’m just concerned. Thank you very much
People here care and want to help, but they won't try if they feel they're going to be jumped on by the person asking for help for suggesting things that are helpful for them to understand what's happening to your boy. Nobody here is trying to attack you or make you feel bad. But you are making people feel bad just for suggesting things that might help, or asking for more clarification. Depending on your particular boy, the things you might not think are important, could very well be something that is stressing your boy out. A cage that's too small happens to be something that can stress a chameleon. That's why @Syreptyon was bringing it up. There are resource tabs here that show proper supplementation and other things that are super important for your boy to thrive. Again, we are trying to help. If you feel in any way that your boy is going downhill health wise (it can happen very fast) please take him to a knowledgeable exotic reptile veterinarian.

People here care and want to help, but they won't try if they feel they're going to be jumped on by the person asking for help for suggesting things that are helpful for them to understand what's happening to your boy. Nobody here is trying to attack you or make you feel bad. But you are making people feel bad just for suggesting things that might help, or asking for more clarification. Depending on your particular boy, the things you might not think are important, could very well be something that is stressing your boy out. A cage that's too small happens to be something that can stress a chameleon. That's why @Syreptyon was bringing it up. There are resource tabs here that show proper supplementation and other things that are super important for your boy to thrive. Again, we are trying to help. If you feel in any way that your boy is going downhill health wise (it can happen very fast) please take him to a knowledgeable exotic reptile veterinarian.
I am. Thank you

Good grief, you being so defensive and deflecting your frustrations onto those attempting to help you is accomplishing absolutely nothing. I know it's super stressful when something goes wrong with the animals we care about, but asking calmly and providing plenty of details is the best and quickest way to get you help. Just as @GodricktheVeiled and @Syreptyon mentioned with the cage sizing, your verrucosus' issues could be a byproduct of stress from an enclosure that's too small. You mentioned that he appears duller and less plump? A chameleon's color can very drastically throughout its lifetime, even later in life. I had a male panther cross who was a brilliant blue for 2 years, then started showing lots of reds and purples, and almost four years in turned a muted green. If you want people to assess potential color changes and the body condition of your guy, I would suggest posting clearer photos of him in natural and artificial lighting where he's not trying to hide or being photographed through a screen. It's possible that he's also displaying his "fired up" or "agitated" colors while he's perched on your hand in that first photo, compared to when he's at rest.

You mentioned that you have a dual dome fixture (I can also barely see it in one picture) - is your UVB a compact fluorescent? They really don't provide the correct light levels, and that may be contributing to your boy potentially not feeling well. I would definitely upgrade to a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 UVB tube as soon as you can! It would be helpful if we could get a few pictures of his set up.

You should take a look at that unofficial care sheet that Jacksjill linked when you have a chance and see if there's anything else that may need tweaking in regards to general husbandry. I'm afraid most of my research has been strictly Veiled related!

You say you are concerned about a D3 OD but you tell us you supplement “once in awhile” and clarify with “ I have a strict regimen and keep track but quite obviously I’m worried and panicked, so im not going to write down his entire life history”. How do you expect anybody to be able to help with that kind of information, all while you are biting peoples heads off? His life history is exactly what will allow people to have some insight into what is going on, remember nobody else can observe him. We only have the information you give us. Perhaps take a deep breath, people are asking questions to try and help you with the situation you are worried and panicked about, but you are making it difficult to help you. Nobody has attacked you, they are trying to help your cham, who you clearly care about. There’s a lot of knowledge in these boards that could help you if you let it.

Back
Top Bottom