D3 and outside

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
If a cham is kept outside during the day would you still need to supplement with D3 on a regular basis?

Nope. The real sunlight provides it for them.
Ok, I guess my real concern is how would a person know how much to supplement if the cham only spends 3-4 days a week outside? As far as I know there is no way to determine the levels of D3 that has been recieved. Just don't want to over do it.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess my real concern is how would a person know how much to supplement if the cham only spends 3-4 days a week outside? As far as I know there is no way to determine the levels of D3 that has been recieved. Just don't want to over do it.
If my chameleon were outside for 3-4 days out of the week, I would not use any D3 supplements. After all, they say 1 hour of real sun is equal to 12 hours under the light. And if your lighting is measuring uv in the 3s or above, there is no need for D3...which just leads me to believe that you will not need to supplement with D3.

Perhaps someone else will comment on this too.

If my chameleon were outside for 3-4 days out of the week, I would not use any D3 supplements. After all, they say 1 hour of real sun is equal to 12 hours under the light. And if your lighting is measuring uv in the 3s or above, there is no need for D3...which just leads me to believe that you will not need to supplement with D3.

Ok, thanks. Just finished an outside enclosure and going to use it during the day only but maybe not everyday.
Good info.

It's not out of line with what I've gleaned. Can't say I could say it any better or add anything (without restarting a major research project... :rolleyes: )

Back
Top Bottom