Cyrus is dying...not sure what to do...

lele

Avid Member
My dear boy is leaving me. He pulled thru the prolapse surgery and was recovering quite well for a few weeks then took a sudden turn for the worse last weekend. The vet visit was expense with no concrete results. He is simply failing. Frankly, I am surprised he is still alive. He is barely getting by on very small amounts of water and (Fluker's) Repta-Aid. He is on Baytril but I think I will stop as I don't see the sense at this point. Every day I expect him to go. I wish I had the means to put him down myself.

I'd like to get a necropsy done, not to see what he dies from so much but to see his insides. His swallowing was labored more in the last several months to the point where he was often more comfortable being on his back to swallow - as if he is just twisted inside (long story/history). This may well be due to the way he has been holding himself (bent to the right) for the last 3 years. There is a lot of history that I don't have the time or inclination to go into right here/now. The other part is that I want to see inside his head and I know that is not part of the necropsy either. My vet won't do it.

There is another vet, who I have never spoken to, on the other side of VT who I thought of calling to speak to and see if he would do it, but either way I will have to keep him cool enough to either ship him somewhere if I can find someone or even drive somewhere (couple hours). I don't know the best way to wrap/pack him for the fridge so if anyone can advise me on that it would be appreciated. I know it is a small window of time before decomp sets in (and I know not to freeze as tissue turns to mush).

I don't think he is suffering, but the light is surely gone from his eyes :(

i dont know what to tell u about the vet thing or the fridge thng two...but sorry to hear that about your chamelon...he prob lived a good life..

so sorry to hear...
i've had pets that were close to the end and you definitely can see that "the light is gone" in their eyes... it's an AWFUL thing to have to go through, unfortunately as pet owners, it's a part of being blessed to have "had" them... :(

Sorry to hear you are hurting and are getting prepared to lose your chameleon. I don't have any suggestions either on the preservation process but wanted to express my thoughts to you at this sad time.

I really am sorry to hear about Cyrus-he has been part of this forum for a long time. All you can really do is keep him as comfortable as possible until you are sure he has passed. I do hope you find someone to do a necropsy, as you have put so much time and care in to him it would possibly yield interesting results.

i am so sorry about your baby. i cant handle it when i have to say goodbye. i had two chinese water dragpns that ate bark and could not pass it before i realized what happened and i had to say bye. you are in my prayers and hope your baby goes home easy. ill pray for cyrus

Im so sorry for you .. i'd hate to lose one of mines, and id have to agree if you think he is suffering euthanize him.....it would be for the best

Oh Lele, that's awful. :( My poor Lily went downhill over a week and it is awful to see them so unwell. A necropsy is a good idea, but as in my case, may not give you any answers, except perhaps closure and the knowing that it wasn't something you did or didn't do. When Lily died I wrapped her in paper towels and an old tea towel. It really is a heartbreaking time - I really feel for you - I know just how awful it feels to be in your position with a dieing cham.

I had to euthanize my veiled five years ago because she was suffering horribly and I couldn't watch anymore....she was so impacted with eggs she never laid that she was suffocating herself from the inside....sorry you have to go through this i know it sucks

Thanks everyone. Sorry, I did not know I had more replies (stopped getting notices and had not checked back in a bit).

Going to the vet tomorrow and likely having him put down. The baytril is doing nothing and he is just wasting away in front of me. He may have a lingering infection after the prolapse that has taken hold. He has survived a lot in his nearly 5 years and it is just time to let him go.

Thanks for the thoughts and support,

lele, Cyrus and the rest of the gang...

Hi Lele, Like my friend Miss Lilly i also had to nurse my lovely Yemmie for 8 months 3 times a day hand feeding and the sad thing was she got through her spaying OK ,it was this throat infection never went ,all i got afford was Batrill it did nothing ,now i am seeing a new vet for my male he has 4 others antibiotics one of which i have to inject my self , sorry that does not help you, but my heart goes out to you ,take care
Anita xxxxxx

Hi Lele, Like my friend Miss Lilly i also had to nurse my lovely Yemmie for 8 months 3 times a day hand feeding and the sad thing was she got through her spaying OK ,it was this throat infection never went ,all i got afford was Batrill it did nothing ,now i am seeing a new vet for my male he has 4 others antibiotics one of which i have to inject my self , sorry that does not help you, but my heart goes out to you ,take care
Anita xxxxxx
Chameleon spaying is hard. I know of a few people who have gone thru it with mixed results. Sorry to hear about your experience after she did so well with it:(

What is the injectable? Is it Fortaz? I am reading a lot of good things about it. My vet did not seem to think it was appropriate even though we do not even know what it is that's up with him. What is his problem - is he improving? There is a part of me that does not want to give up as Cyrus has always been such a trooper and I am wondering if my vet has just "missed" something, then again I feel I may be losing all perspective...

I hope your boy improves.

Hi Lele ,the medication that i have to inject is Ceftazidime ,and i just know what you mean when you say you are not getting anywhere it would be nice for the vet to say well its A !!! and you say yes it has a name now please treat it !!! but with chameleon's its can be so complicated and if they get stressed that can bring an illness on , i hope for you a miracle happens and its good news will be going back to my vets tomorrow will let you know how things go ,
Anita xxxxxx

Back
Top Bottom