Cutting my loss

The only time they can escape is during feeding time. I always smash escapees as quickly as possible before they can run into inaccessible places, I play it safe like that.
Same.. I’ve done the same with roaches, and especially crickets :rolleyes:

The only time they can escape is during feeding time. I always smash escapees as quickly as possible before they can run into inaccessible places, I play it safe like that.

With how slow my chameleon can be to eat and how many places there are to hide in my enclosure it'd be too difficult for me lol.

With how slow my chameleon can be to eat and how many places there are to hide in my enclosure it'd be too difficult for me lol.

Well I mean inaccessible places like gaps in my furniture. I do have escapees in my chameleon enclosure, which is why I have a pitcher plant inside. My crickets do escape sometimes when I feed my tarantulas and leopard gecko, that's when I kill them instead of letting them escape.

Well I mean inaccessible places like gaps in my furniture. I do have escapees in my chameleon enclosure, which is why I have a pitcher plant inside. My crickets do escape sometimes when I feed my tarantulas and leopard gecko, that's when I kill them instead of letting them escape.

Ah gotcha. I have a pretty large pitcher in mine too. Do they draw in the red runners in your experience? My problem with red runners is that they like moisture and with my humid/heavily misted enclosure It'd make an easy breeding ground for them. This is coming from someone with like 17 roach colonies lol. Lobsters and red runners would make great feeders, but idk if I'd ever trust them enough :confused:

Ah gotcha. I have a pretty large pitcher in mine too. Do they draw in the red runners in your experience? My problem with red runners is that they like moisture and with my humid/heavily misted enclosure It'd make an easy breeding ground for them. This is coming from someone with like 17 roach colonies lol. Lobsters and red runners would make great feeders, but idk if I'd ever trust them enough :confused:

Ya my own colony breed like crazy. I always cull them. Once there's a wilting pitcher “pod” so I cut it, took it out and empty its contents out of curiosity. What came out was a pile of stinky slimy liquid with roach parts. It is incredibly disgusting and smelly.

Ya my own colony breed like crazy. I always cull them. Once there's a wilting pitcher “pod” so I cut it, took it out and empty its contents out of curiosity. What came out was a pile of stinky slimy liquid with roach parts. It is incredibly disgusting and smelly.

Interesting! I've found thousands of millipedes and isopods in mine... to the brim lol.

I’m starting to think there may be something wrong with my cricket supply. They smell soooooooll bad like 100% worse then I’m used to and they are Dying off so fast. I don’t think it’s safe to feed to make Chams. I bought them from a mom and pop shop who keeps the crickets in a box they get shipped in for idk how long b4 I buy them

I’ve used Armstrong Cricket Farm for crickets and Superworms for many years. I highly recommend them. They are one of the few cricket farms that use plastic breeding areas and can be properly wash. Most farms use wood and you just can not clean wood. Armstrong and Timberland were the two farms that did not get the cricket virus years ago when the virus closed most of the farms down. Most farms could not get the brown crickets to grow after the virus and that’s when they started using banded crickets.

Last edited:
i get get banded crix from joshs frogs. no more pet store crix for me!

Their crickets don't smell either. I guess because they're the banded variety. I bought some from LLL Reptile that smell terrible after a few days. I'm going back to ordering from Josh's Frogs (it's cheaper too).

I’ve used Armstrong Cricket Farm for crickets and Superworms for many years. I highly recommend them. They are one of the few cricket farms that use plastic breeding areas and can be properly wash. Most farms use wood and you just can not clean wood. Armstrong and Timberland were the two farms that did not get the cricket virus years ago when the virus closed most of the farms down. Most farms could not get the brown crickets to grow after the virus and that’s when they started using banded crickets.

Banded are also just flat out better and i think people discovered this after the virus. I'd be surprised of anyone that tried both, but chose to stay with the originals(acheta domesticus). The only thing with banded is that they do jump significantly higher, making them a little more difficult to feed on free ranges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom